Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 PM

981 posts, read 806,320 times

Advertisements

And, do you try and push your religious views on them, if you do? Or, do you accept and support them for exactly who they are, without trying to "change" them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
I have a gay friend who was closeted, and now he's openly out. I don't force my religious views on him. I told him that, he being gay, would not affect our friendship.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:50 AM

24 posts, read 55,375 times
i don't bring up religion with them.
but some of them are Christians.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Yes I have friends who are gay and no I would never think to try to "change" them or push my views on them! I'd like to think that I'm not so arrogant that I think they NEED changing. In my eyes, God created them, God loves them and so do I. We discuss our views and respect each other. I think that's pretty much the loving thing to do with anyone.
Share and respect. Not FORCE and try to change.
I guess what I'm saying is...
It doesn't really occur to me to even think of my friends that are gay as "my gay friend"...
Man... they're just my FRIENDS!!!

peace.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:10 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Default James Cantwell......may God rest his soul...

...we, (his friends) called him "Jim."

He died this past Monday of a cerebral aneurysm...he was only 59 years old...a beautiful human being he was...and I miss him terribly...his loving heart...his love for life...his compassionate nature for others' well-fare...his hugs...his smile...his passion for animals...dogs especially...and my heart aches for his companion who is left behind without him, Wayne...another precious, tender, loving, compassionate...giving individual...what a team they were at "Fifi's"...the dog grooming business they had here in my town, where honestly...at least 1/2 of our community took our dogs to be groomed...and they loved every single one of our little furry friends...and did the most wonderful job on every single one of them. Wayne is alone now...and he is torn up at the loss of his help meet...he's crushed...and at the Memorial this past Sunday, at the local Episcopal Church...he just cried...and we all cried with him...such a loss of a precious soul......I loved him...Jim...and I love Wayne, with all of my heart.

They had a hand in teaching me the need of every individual needing to feel appreciated...no matter who they are. We all need to know we are needed...loved...and appreciated.

On some mornings, when I would drop off my "Palm" named, Nuggett...Jim would stop what he was doing and come out to the front of his shop just to give me a hug, and we would chat for a moment...sometimes he would "unload" his worries...and/or concernes about certain things/people/circumstances in his life that would be heavy on his heart. He knew I loved and lived for the Lord...he loved Jesus too...so does Wayne. I'll never forget one morning when I went in to drop off Nuggett...(the economy being what it is...really bad...like just 8 months ago)...Jim and Wayne asked me to come to the back, where they groom the dogs, and they asked me if I would pray with them and for them and their business......so the three of us held hands tightly..and we bowed our heads, and closed our eyes...doggies barking...and we prayed together...and we cried together...and we embraced each other. I left them that morning feeling encouraged...loved by the Lord...loved by me...and hopeful.

For Christmas, I bought 2 beautiful Poinsettia plants for them and I gave them a little 4"x 3" Christmas card...and in it I wrote a heartfelt letter to them...letting them know how much I love and appreciated them...and how wonderful they were and how much Nuggett loved them too...Sunday...at the Memorial...Wayne told me in my ear as I was holding him tight...he said, "Jim placed the Christmas card you gave to him in his Bible......".............and he also said, "You made Jim feel good Verna...about life...and about the love of a real true Christian"........

...so...yes...I can truly say I have gay friends...beautiful, loving gay friends...but I don't let "that" determine whether or not I love them and care for them with all of my heart...because I do...and I always will...

...I love you Jim...and I pray to God you're with Him...somehow...somewhere...someday...

Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
And, do you try and push your religious views on them, if you do? Or, do you accept and support them for exactly who they are, without trying to "change" them?
I did.

I evangelize to everyone regardless if they are gay or straight. That is what Christians are commanded to do

Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

He died this past Monday of a cerebral aneurysm...he was only 59 years old...a beautiful human being he was...and I miss him terribly...his loving heart...his love for life...his compassionate nature for others' well-fare...his hugs...his smile...his passion for animals...dogs especially...and my heart aches for his companion who is left behind without him, Wayne...another precious, tender, loving, compassionate...giving individual...what a team they were at "Fifi's"...the dog grooming business they had here in my town, where honestly...at least 1/2 of our community took our dogs to be groomed...and they loved every single one of our little furry friends...and did the most wonderful job on every single one of them. Wayne is alone now...and he is torn up at the loss of his help meet...he's crushed...and at the Memorial this past Sunday, at the local Episcopal Church...he just cried...and we all cried with him...such a loss of a precious soul......I loved him...Jim...and I love Wayne, with all of my heart.

They had a hand in teaching me the need of every individual needing to feel appreciated...no matter who they are. We all need to know we are needed...loved...and appreciated.

On some mornings, when I would drop off my "Palm" named, Nuggett...Jim would stop what he was doing and come out to the front of his shop just to give me a hug, and we would chat for a moment...sometimes he would "unload" his worries...and/or concernes about certain things/people/circumstances in his life that would be heavy on his heart. He knew I loved and lived for the Lord...he loved Jesus too...so does Wayne. I'll never forget one morning when I went in to drop off Nuggett...(the economy being what it is...really bad...like just 8 months ago)...Jim and Wayne asked me to come to the back, where they groom the dogs, and they asked me if I would pray with them and for them and their business......so the three of us held hands tightly..and we bowed our heads, and closed our eyes...doggies barking...and we prayed together...and we cried together...and we embraced each other. I left them that morning feeling encouraged...loved by the Lord...loved by me...and hopeful.

For Christmas, I bought 2 beautiful Poinsettia plants for them and I gave them a little 4"x 3" Christmas card...and in it I wrote a heartfelt letter to them...letting them know how much I love and appreciated them...and how wonderful they were and how much Nuggett loved them too...Sunday...at the Memorial...Wayne told me in my ear as I was holding him tight...he said, "Jim placed the Christmas card you gave to him in his Bible......".............and he also said, "You made Jim feel good Verna...about life...and about the love of a real true Christian"........

...so...yes...I can truly say I have gay friends...beautiful, loving gay friends...but I don't let "that" determine whether or not I love them and care for them with all of my heart...because I do...and I always will...

...I love you Jim...and I pray to God you're with Him...somehow...somewhere...someday...
So very sad to hear about your friend Verna. May he rest in the loving arms of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ forever. This is a beautiful and touching story about friendship and the love of Christ.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
Quote:

I feel for your friend but shouldnt we try to help anyone caught in the destructive grip of sin? I dont mean any disrepect but have any of your towns folk even tried to help his soul or did they just give up on him.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:01 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I feel for your friend but shouldnt we try to help anyone caught in the destructive grip of sin? I dont mean any disrepect but have any of your towns folk even tried to help his soul or did they just give up on him.
but how can you look past this:

Quote:
and he also said, "You made Jim feel good Verna...about life...and about the love of a real true Christian"........
how could anyone think that Verna (in her way) didn't help his soul?

It seems like Verna did help his soul and while I don't believe because he was gay his soul needed help.. Verna did a very good thing because she made him feel good about his life as it sounds like she had a profound impact on him as person.. on his soul.

Kudos to you Verna and sorry for your loss.

JMO of course..

Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
but how can you look past this:

how could anyone think that Verna (in her way) didn't help his soul?

It seems like Verna did help his soul and while I don't believe because he was gay his soul needed help.. Verna did a very good thing because she made him feel good about his life as it sounds like she had a profound impact on him as person.. on his soul.

Kudos to you Verna and sorry for your loss.

JMO of course..
Did I say that? No, I did not disrespect Verna in any way I just asked a legitamite question.

Now lets try this, Did anyone care about his soul or did they turn a blind eye to his sin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity