Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I edited my post and I think I may have had him confused w/ another poster on the Politics board that is very anti-religion.

My apologies.
With all the boards and threads i sometimes lose track and post in the wrong thread on the wrong board, many times the topics are very close and many of the same people are posting in all these boards/threads so I know what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 04:48 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

That is not the truth at all; this is a strange offshoot from actual Catholic to a fringe group that supports a return to pre-Vatican II teachings which would go back more than forty years.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I was married in a Roman Catholic Church back in the 1970's and divorced in 1997. I did once love my ex-wife, was married over 20 years, and that marriage produced four great children, so annulment would never apply. She and I have both since remarried and my current wife, also originally married in a Roman Catholic Church, was also divorced after 20 years of marriage and 4 children (yes...we have 8 between us!)

According to Roman Catholic rules and regulations can I receive Holy Communion when attending mass?

Please do not post personal views and beliefs...I'm looking for offical Roman Catholic law here. Also, please post links, if possible, as I can't seem to get a straight answer.
The short answer: No, nobody who is divorced can receive communion.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
He needs to talk to a priest; you might be surprised how flexible the Church has become and how many decisions are made on a case by case determination these days.
In other words, liberalism is taking over the church. I'm not going to say that I agree with every little rule in the Catholic Church, but if you're going to practice it, why not follow the rules? Otherwise, what is the point of even being Catholic?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
Your mother should have had no problem receiving communion after a divorce, even decades ago. As long as she did not date or remarry, she had every right within the beliefs and practices of the Catholic Church. It is a sad shame that perhaps one single misguided priest denied this to her.
Joetownmom I assume since you have posted today and have not responded to my question that I asked you yesterday that you may have missed my post.

you mention "As long as she did not date"
Is that "TRUE" I have never heard that before, can you provide a source/a link for me?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The short answer: No, nobody who is divorced can receive communion.
As long as they are not remarried there should be no conflict with OFFICIAL Church teaching regarding receiving Communion.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
In other words, liberalism is taking over the church. I'm not going to say that I agree with every little rule in the Catholic Church, but if you're going to practice it, why not follow the rules? Otherwise, what is the point of even being Catholic?
Catholicism is much more than a book of rules, although I realize some do like to keep their faith and their God in a very nicely gift wrapped box.

Do you care to explain exactly how liberalism is taking over the Church?
From what I see the Church has been busy undoing the reforms of Vatican II,
"reforming the reform" as they like to call it.

So do you follow the Church's teachings on the rules that you disagree with?
And what "little" rules are you talking about?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post

So do you follow the Church's teachings on the rules that you disagree with?
And what "little" rules are you talking about?
As a matter of fact, yes I do. If I miss Mass, I will not receive communion. I personally don't think one should be denied communion for something as small as missing church, but I follow it anyways. Also, the not eating meat on lenten Fridays...I don't understand the point, since its not really a sacrifice...you don't have to eat meat, but you can gorge on pizza and fried fish and wash it down with beer? Not getting the sacrifice in that, but I follow that rule anyways..

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
As a matter of fact, yes I do. If I miss Mass, I will not receive communion. I personally don't think one should be denied communion for something as small as missing church, but I follow it anyways. Also, the not eating meat on lenten Fridays...I don't understand the point, since its not really a sacrifice...you don't have to eat meat, but you can gorge on pizza and fried fish and wash it down with beer? Not getting the sacrifice in that, but I follow that rule anyways..
As far as Lent itself is concern you may find this article to be of interest

Lent: a season of communal preparation | National Catholic Reporter

Many of the rules and regulations made up by the hierarchy have very little to do about God or the gospels, they are more of a control mechanism over the people.
Many rules such as when we could never eat meat on Fridays under penalty of MORTAL SIN were what they call disciplines.
Which are just rules made up by but that did not apply to the hierarchy or even every country in the world.
One week you go to hell if you die for eating meat on a Friday, then the hierarchy decides to change it and next week someone eats meat and dies and they go to heaven, bad timing I guess.

Many rules that if you do not obey the hierarchy says can result in mortal sin that you can go to Hell for are sins against the hierarchy, not God. Why is that?

I know silly liberal catholics should not be asking such silly questions, we should just pray, pay and obey

Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
As far as Lent itself is concern you may find this article to be of interest

Lent: a season of communal preparation | National Catholic Reporter

Many of the rules and regulations made up by the hierarchy have very little to do about God or the gospels, they are more of a control mechanism over the people.
Many rules such as when we could never eat meat on Fridays under penalty of MORTAL SIN were what they call disciplines.
Which are just rules made up by but that did not apply to the hierarchy or even every country in the world.
One week you go to hell if you die for eating meat on a Friday, then the hierarchy decides to change it and next week someone eats meat and dies and they go to heaven, bad timing I guess.

Many rules that if you do not obey the hierarchy says can result in mortal sin that you can go to Hell for are sins against the hierarchy, not God. Why is that?

I know silly liberal catholics should not be asking such silly questions, we should just pray, pay and obey
Sometimes, you have instances where a bishop will waive the no-meat rule for his diocese on a certain Friday...its happened here when St. Patrick's Day fell on a Friday....God forbid someone doesn't eat corned beef on St. Patty's Day....but then it wasn't waived in a neighboring diocese.....so would I not go to hell for eating meat in Scranton, but I would if I ate it in Allentown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity