Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:43 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times

Advertisements

Based on recent newspaper reports, Pope Benedict covered up pedophile priests when he was an archbishop and also when he worked at the Vatican before becoming pope. The reaction toward the Catholic church has been very unfavorable and even some Catholics are calling for Pope Benedict to step down. Do you believe that it would be best for the church for the pope to resign so that another pope could be chosen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Based on recent newspaper reports, Pope Benedict covered up pedophile priests when he was an archbishop and also when he worked at the Vatican before becoming pope. The reaction toward the Catholic church has been very unfavorable and even some Catholics are calling for Pope Benedict to step down. Do you believe that it would be best for the church for the pope to resign so that another pope could be chosen?
A resounding YES. And no more popes......who do they think they are?

Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,730 times
yes,enough of him.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
That is up to catholics and I am not catholic. I leave that to them.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 AM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times
I used to attend Catholic school (my Mom is Catholic). If a Pope is protecting a priest that's molested children, he needs not only to resign, but he should be arrested for harboring a criminal from justice.

God does not favor those who hurt others. I can't understand why this Pope would willingly elect to protect such a vile human being.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
I say yes...actually, the people of the church should just abandon the corrupt hierarchy altogether and start a new Catholic church.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
This is a tough one for me. I hate to admit it, but I think this time, the Pope should resign. If accountability doesn't start from the top, where does it start? I think it would go a long way to getting rid of the poison in the current Church. Maybe he should first defrock all priests and bishops FOUND guilty and then remove himself. Or maybe just remove himself first and let a new, young, unstained Pope do the defrocking. Either way, something has to be done.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:

I have never been a catholic and can only go by what I have heard or read. Can any catholics respond concerning the idea of the pope being infallible? Is this a point that is misunderstood?

I am asking because it seems odd that catholics would ask the pope to step down if he is infallible.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,668 times
Quote:
The man should not be allowed to resign. He should not go for trial as plain Mr Ratzinger. No, he should enter the International Court in full regalia, with his full titles announced, so that everyone will know what the world has come to.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Check the full list of popes. It's a pretty fair bet that a lot of them (I didn't want to use the word "most," but that's a distinct possibility) have done things to merit their resigning--if not actually being deposed. Now check the number of popes who have actually resigned, or been deposed. You have to say the odds of either occurrence relating to the current holder of the title are pretty slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity