Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:54 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,175 times

Advertisements

They are very expensive used, customers ask why all the time, they are a high failure part. You can't touch a low mileage used one for less than a grand, and that is used.

JMHO YMMV

parts manager 20+ years, used auto parts 10+ years, BFF is Dodge parts manager 10+ years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:27 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,039,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
They are very expensive used, customers ask why all the time, they are a high failure part. You can't touch a low mileage used one for less than a grand, and that is used.

JMHO YMMV

parts manager 20+ years, used auto parts 10+ years, BFF is Dodge parts manager 10+ years
As you well know, the used parts market is completely driven by supply and demand.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
I would just look go for the 5.7 Hemi you won't really take much of a hit on fuel economy but you will be able to tow and haul alot better and it will be easier to find aftermarket parts and be the better all around choice and in towing situations it will get either the same or better fuel economy and have extra passing power when and if needed.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
I had one in my 05 RAM QC 2WD and traded it in for my current 07 RAM QC 4X4 with the same. I have no problems with it. Fuel economy isn't the best but my current truck weighs 5500lbs empty, that usually doesn't equal good fuel economy. When I had my 2WD I got 17's all around while living in coastal South Florida and hit as high as 20 on a longer highway drive. My current 4X4 got in the 15's all around and 17's highway on MD's eastern shore (rural but short distances) until I leveled it and added 35" tires in which I lost 20% so now I get in the 12's all around and 15's highway. It has plenty of power, even with the oversize tires. I plan to get a center console boat in the 21 ft range and don't anticipate having any problems.

I didn't consider a hemi because of the added initial cost and I wanted better fuel economy. When I look on the assorted Dodge forums it seems everybody inflates the capabilities of the hemi and brings up any non advantage of the 4.7. The MPG's are not much different but there is still a difference from what I can tell. On those forums it seems everybody who has a truck imaginarily uses it to haul 50 sheets of drywall and a bed full of gravel at all times together with lumber while constantly being hooked up to a 200,000lb trailer (sarcasm). For my real world use of my truck, the 4.7 is quite capable, and that is the occasional hauling of yard debris. (1/4 acre so it's not much or often) The occasional load of mulch, fishing tackle, occasional deer, and a bed full of plastic bins loaded with cleaning supplies for my boat detailing business.

If I was a building contractor who had the constant need to haul heavy things such as drywall or bags of concrete. Or if I was going to be towing a larger boat from say 24ft up or a car and trailer, or horse, etc... In those cases I'd definitely opt for a larger engine and probably an upgrade to a 3/4 ton as well but you stated light use in which the 4.7 is plenty capable. Also, if I was buying a truck as a performance vehicle I'd look for the hemi as well. One thing to keep in mind is that the little 4.7 has considerably more power then the 70's/80's era larger V8's in which I was accustomed to in the past.

Now, from what I understand, the hemi holds it's value better but since your looking used the lower value of a 4.7 should work in your favor.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
As you well know, the used parts market is completely driven by supply and demand.
Yes, so is the industry in its entirety, and the demand for that motor is huge. The supply is limited for various reasons but mainly because there are few good used ones out there. Lots of cores, though.

When it first debuted our lead tech at the Dodge garage went to school for it. The teacher said to him on the side they knew the water jacket channels were too narrow and they would hand grenade early in life.

Granted, there are plenty of owners that had good luck so YMMV.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:17 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,039,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Yes, so is the industry in its entirety, and the demand for that motor is huge. The supply is limited for various reasons but mainly because there are few good used ones out there. Lots of cores, though.

When it first debuted our lead tech at the Dodge garage went to school for it. The teacher said to him on the side they knew the water jacket channels were too narrow and they would hand grenade early in life.

Granted, there are plenty of owners that had good luck so YMMV.
One of my kids has one in a Jeep he drives. Lots of miles, and good luck with it (though not good mileage). But he doesn't tow anything with the Jeep - basically just drives it like it was a big car. And he does good maintenance. I think that's the key.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:42 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota with automatic transmission, 4WD, and the 4.7L engine. It now has over 165,000 miles and is my regular vehicle. I did not buy it to tow as I have nothing to tow, and I have never used it for off-roading. However, I have run it hard, and many times I have pushed it to the limit while freeway driving. I have never had a problem with the engine, and would highly recommend it to anyone considering one. I do none of my own work, not even oil changes, and I have a mechanic friend who checks it out every now and then. I have always taken it to the Dodge dealer for an oil change every 4,000 miles.

Some people have asked me about the gas mileage. Although I know that the mileage is not good, I have no clue what it is. I have no reason to measure it, and I certainly don't want a reason to get rid of it. I would part with my dog before I would part with this truck.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,327 times
My last Dodge was a 2007 Ram 1500 Quad cab 2x4 with the 4.7 V8. It was my daily driver. It was a basic ST model with only a few options. It had the HD service group, trailer towing, and anti spin differential. I towed an enclosed trailer with 3 dirt bikes and gear all over the SE USA. Decent power but averaged about 12 mpg.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 PM

194 posts, read 1,202,642 times
I had on 03 Dakota CC 2wd that I purchased with 52,000 and traded in for a car at 92,000 after owning it for 3 years. Truck gave me absolutely zero problems. Literally the only things I did were change the oil every 3-5000 miles and had to put rear brake pads on it. It was a pretty stout little truck. OK gas mileage. I towed with it almost daily as I had a lawn service. Not a ton of weight no, but it towed well for a small truck. Also towed a pair of quads from FL to upstate NY and back and a 6x12 uhaul trailer loaded completely with a loaded truck from FL to NY and the 4.7 handled everything fine. My cousin had an 02 Dakota CC 4wd that finally died with 200,000+ miles and a lot of abuse. Not necessarily towing wise but often with an overloaded bed and almost zero preventative maintenance. I can't remember what was replaced on the engine over the years but I don't believe anything other than components.

It's not a race engine or a tow monster but it's a pretty reliable powerplant.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
It's a solid engine.
Not the early ones. Some had a issue with sludge, piston slap and noisy timing chains/wear on the tensioners and guides. Mine had piston slap. needed to be rebuilt at 72k because it sounded horrible and one cylinder had very low compression. And I'm pretty good about maintenance. And it never felt like it had any low end. All high rpm power. Exactly what you don't want in a truck. I never had a issue with sludge or the famous oil cap foaming. I think the sludge was infrequent oil changes. The foam was probably due to cold weather little/not enough driving combo.

After I rebuilt it it ran great. Gas mileage was dismal about 13mpg but it was a 4x4. It never felt like it had the ho it was supposed to. Towing two jet skis it felt like it was always trying to downshift or get the rpm up. I had the car fir10 years but I never really was happy with it. Truck was a 00 Dakota 4x extra cab

I know they redesigned the hell out if it by 05. More hp And took care of some of the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram