Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times

Advertisements

Hi there folks - I'm a proud owner of a 1995 Jeep Wrangler... as the second owner I procured it in 1997. Unfortunately although low mileage (89k) it has been parked ungaraged and in salt-using wintry places in the northern US for most of its life. It has some body and undercarriage damage from rust and admittantly it doesn't ride smooth nor does it have all the creature comforts of most cars or SUVs on the road today.

All that said, I love it, and always have enjoyed driving it - thoroughly. It has taken me on some fantastic journeys through mountains, and enduring blizzards it has rescued family members who were stranded on multiple occasions, and perhaps it seems silly to others, but as the first vehicle I've ever actually purchased completely on my own I feel connected with it. Unfortunately I just had the fuel pump & hoses replaced and a leaky transaxle and rear pinion seal repair . A few months ago the starter went on me as well. I was told that the fuel filter actually looked rough/rusty during the last visit to the mechanic, however he said there is so much rust by it that if he tries to remove it I likely will need to order a new bracket to attach it to (over 200.00 just for the bracket/connectors!). Lastly, as best as I can discern there's also an exhaust hanger that rusted off recently as well so the exhaust now bumps the floor of the vehicle when I drive over a bump (just noticed this week when I got it back from the mechanic).

All in all I am wondering... am I at the point of replacing this vehicle, or with the low-mileage and accident-free history of it should I be willing to pump some more money into it? At what point do I say, no more? Financially, I could swing getting another vehicle, but I'd just rather not as I'm starting up a new business and would love to keep my reserves cash vs spending it on another depreciating asset. It's a tough decision for me to make as I know I need a reliable vehicle to drive my kids to school each day in, but I honestly am in uncharted territory not knowing if the Jeep has reached too old of an age to be reliable?

Man, I really have enjoyed this vehicle *heavy sigh*... I'll miss it if I need to let it go, but if its for the family's well being, then I guess I'll have no choice. :-(

Any ideas, or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
It sounds to me that all of the issues you've described are minor in nature. If the engine, transmission and four wheel drive sysems are solid, I can't see the need to replace the Jeep unless you simply want a change.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:25 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
If your sentimental attachment to this vehicle is that strong, then you'd be able to get some more service life out of it ... if you're willing to tolerate a "few" flaws ... at relatively modest cost.

However, if you seriously want 4x4 transportation, then you'd better take a hard look at what it's going to cost you to keep this vehicle on the road in the near term (and it's market value) compared to getting a newer replacement.

My experience with "rust belt" vehicles that have serious damage in progress to them is that they're rarely worth the time or expense to keep them on the road. Especially when they've progressed to the point you describe ... extensive body and chassis damage. You can bet that there's problems brewing in the FI system, electrical system, and many other systems in this car. You've just seen the start of this with the fuel pump and hoses replacement. Why a competent tech installed a new fuel pump and didn't change out the fuel filter at that time is beyond me .... I suspect you're not going to get much more "reliable" service life out of this car, even if the odometer says it's "low miles" to you.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 AM

364 posts, read 1,978,653 times
Here's another option. Join a Jeep club in your area and get into the offroad sport more seriously. Your Jeep is the perfect candidate for what offroaders call "a trail rig". Spend some money on a mild lift and bigger tires and you'll be good to go.

You have nothing to loose: the vehicle is already dying on you, so this is the time to play in the dirt and beat the hell out of it until it dies

Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Remember, mbusza, a few repairs on an older vehicle are better than new vehicle payments.

I have an '86 Jeep CJ-7 (the last year for CJ's prior to Chrysler's Wrangler) and I wouldn't trade it for anything newer. Obviously, I'm not alone because it has what I refer to as a "cult following" and is worth much more now than when new.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:10 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
Here's another option. Join a Jeep club in your area and get into the offroad sport more seriously. Your Jeep is the perfect candidate for what offroaders call "a trail rig". Spend some money on a mild lift and bigger tires and you'll be good to go.

You have nothing to loose: the vehicle is already dying on you, so this is the time to play in the dirt and beat the hell out of it until it dies
I agree. I never understood jeeps as daily drivers, they are about as civilized as tractors. But as an offroad vehicle they are perfect - a beat up jeep to take on the trails is perfect. A weekend toy.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Mbuszu - From your description, it sounds like the frame and body is damaged beyond repair and it wouldn't be feasible to spend a lot of money on it. What I would do is part out the engine and the drive train and whatever else you can salvage out of it, and get an older Wrangler. If you can find one in good shape, I'd spend a little bit to get the body and the frame protected from the ravages of salt in your area.

Something like that would be perfect for what you want to do because you don't have to worry about beating up while 4-wheeling.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I agree. I never understood jeeps as daily drivers, they are about as civilized as tractors. But as an offroad vehicle they are perfect - a beat up jeep to take on the trails is perfect. A weekend toy.
Not quite, Dd

My CJ is great as an "open vehicle" for running errands. Lots of fresh air and sunshine plus super maneuverable. Parking is never a problem because it will literally go anywhere.

The only major problem is when making multiple stops, there's very little space to hide and/or secure stuff.

I wouldn't trade it for anything . . . definitely not a NEWER PLASTIC JEEP.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 AM

364 posts, read 1,978,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Not quite, Dd

My CJ is great as an "open vehicle" for running errands. Lots of fresh air and sunshine plus super maneuverable. Parking is never a problem because it will literally go anywhere.

The only major problem is when making multiple stops, there's very little space to hide and/or secure stuff.

I wouldn't trade it for anything . . . definitely not a NEWER PLASTIC JEEP.
I think I understand what you mean. However, i do consider Jeeps and other 4X4's off-road vehicles that happen to be "streetable".

Let's face it: Jeeps were meant for the dirt. Lots of people buy them as primary vehicles which is perfectly fine. But to me, that's not their primary purpose.

That's why I suggested, in this case, that the rusted Jeep mentioned above should be used as "trail rig".

Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
But Jeep owners understand it perfectly, they usually prefere simplicity and the unrefined outdoorsy feel. The 2006 and below Wranglers are probably one of the most uncomplicated newer vehicles on the road. And it doesn't hurt that you can take the top and doors off

If your somewhat mechanically inclined I would recommend joining JeepForum.com - Jeep & Off-Road Discussion Community
Might be a good project for you, and you can save $ doing your own work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram