Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times

Advertisements

I had a new V8 Mustang when I was 20. My friends called it "the closer." I'd pick girls up in my dad's K-car for the first date and if they wanted to see me again I'd roll up in the Stang and it was game over.

Ladies love that V8 roar, and that's priceless. Take it from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 06:18 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I see we have collected our usual Charger haters because it has four doors. There have been plenty of "Chargers" over the years which in no way treat the legacy of the late 60's to early 70's muscle cars all too well. 80's FWD'ers, those late 70's uglified behemoths. The LX Chargers may have 4 doors, but nobody is going to convince me a Charger 392 Scat, Hellcat, or even regular R/T Hemi is not doing justice to the legacy of the name simply because it has an added pair of doors.

Nobody thinks less of the sporty nature of a WRX STi because it has 4 doors.

A '69 Charger is what I would have if I could choose any classic automobile too. I get them.

The Charger hate, however, is really rather limited to this board. I am yet to experience it in real life with my 2013 Charger. On the flip side, I get positive comments ALL the time. People walk up to me at gas stations to compliment it and ask about it. I have had people sort of cat call it as I drive by "nice charger!" Other than having the added cost pearl tricoat paint which really pops in sunshine, it is stock looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Short story, the V6 is a car that noone wants 10 years from now. The V8 is a car that people want 4, 14, and 40 years from now.
Very true. The V8 will retain value better.

However, this may play into the OP's hands in terms of going for a V6. Locally anyway, I know you can get a 1-2 year old Charger V6 with sub 20K miles for at or under $20K. Your adding a lot of years and miles to get a V8 Hemi around the same price. Due to that big initial depreciation, the OP can be in a nearly brand new car which he can keep for a rather long time. Also, it is not going to depreciate all that much again for a long time.

Really, around here anyway, I see plenty of 10 year old SXT's too. The LX cars must just hold up well.

Just a thought for the OP anyway, depending on his budget and finances.

Sharing my 13 for fun

Old 09-06-2015, 09:37 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I see we have collected our usual Charger haters because it has four doors. There have been plenty of "Chargers" over the years which in no way treat the legacy of the late 60's to early 70's muscle cars all too well. 80's FWD'ers, those late 70's uglified behemoths. The LX Chargers may have 4 doors, but nobody is going to convince me a Charger 392 Scat, Hellcat, or even regular R/T Hemi is not doing justice to the legacy of the name simply because it has an added pair of doors.

Nobody thinks less of the sporty nature of a WRX STi because it has 4 doors.

A '69 Charger is what I would have if I could choose any classic automobile too. I get them.

The Charger hate, however, is really rather limited to this board. I am yet to experience it in real life with my 2013 Charger. On the flip side, I get positive comments ALL the time. People walk up to me at gas stations to compliment it and ask about it. I have had people sort of cat call it as I drive by "nice charger!" Other than having the added cost pearl tricoat paint which really pops in sunshine, it is stock looking.

Very true. The V8 will retain value better.

However, this may play into the OP's hands in terms of going for a V6. Locally anyway, I know you can get a 1-2 year old Charger V6 with sub 20K miles for at or under $20K. Your adding a lot of years and miles to get a V8 Hemi around the same price. Due to that big initial depreciation, the OP can be in a nearly brand new car which he can keep for a rather long time. Also, it is not going to depreciate all that much again for a long time.

Really, around here anyway, I see plenty of 10 year old SXT's too. The LX cars must just hold up well.

Just a thought for the OP anyway, depending on his budget and finances.

Sharing my 13 for fun
Having owned a HEMI powered Chrysler (2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee), I'll never own anything else with Chrysler's name associated with it. Hence I tried to steer OP toward something more reliable, but I understand that the OP wants a donk, so the Charger/Challenger is the natural #1 choice, if a 300 with a fake "Bentley grill" is not an option.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:30 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,813 times
I know you say the car is more for show, OP, but sound should also be part of the show. And while you can modify a V-6 to sound better, by that time you'd be better off just getting the V-8 anyway. It will look good, sounds good and you can really punch the throttle when you need. You keep saying you don't want the V-8 because you don't drive like that...well you don't have to push the limits just because they car can, but knowing you have it when you want it is the better option. And as mentioned the resale value between the V6 and V8 is nigh and day if you decide to sell it.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:18 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,568 times
Get a truck. Stop that sissy-ass driving in cars.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:08 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Anyone who assigns gender profiles to vehicle types (car, truck, bus, trolley etc) doesn't have an opinion worth reading.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Anyone who assigns gender profiles to vehicle types (car, truck, bus, trolley etc) doesn't have an opinion worth reading.
Sure they do. It's just the opinion of someone who has an internal sexual/gender role identity crisis and is projecting.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
I love driving something that looks like all the other somethings in it's class, even though this something I own is something I never take off road and I rarely haul items with. That's a great something that really isn't any fun.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:00 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Sharing my 13 for fun
I get a lot of comments on the Redline paint (2011 Charger), love that color

Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
So next year is the time for me to update my current car unit.

For reference, this is the car I have currently:

Dodge Avenger SXT Slideshow by Tenacity99 | Photobucket

I got this immediately last year just to continue my "car cycle" after my Dodge Charger got flooded out in August 2014. This was my Charger right here:

Dodge Charger SXT Slideshow by Tenacity99 | Photobucket

So next year I'm going to get the 2015 Dodge Charger or Dodge Challenger, and I'm stuck on which one to get? I'm pretty much paying out of pocket for the unit as my current Car is 100% paid off (also from out of pocket).

Chicks say that I should get the Dodge Challenger as the new look of the Dodge Charger they say isn't that "good". Just about every chick says get the Dodge Challenger.

I would be looking at keeping my blue color and putting on my chrome accessories, etc. For the tires, they would probably be 22 inchs but I might try 24 inches to see how they work. The custom rim shop where I buy rims says that for Chargers or Challengers you shouldn't go over 22 inches and I had 22 inches on my Charger. But I want to try something different this time, I don't think 24 inches will "hurt" will it?

Also in terms of getting the V6 or V8, I prefer the V6 because I really don't do the "fast and the furious" road racing stuff down the street lol. I mainly get my cars for "style".
Man, you have been driving this for a year and you want to change it?

My philosophy is that I don't change my car unless it is no longer functioning well, or functioning safely,or technology has changed so much that it's a major inconvenience.

I am driving a 13 years old vehicle and it's still going. It is safe and it does what it does. I can't come up with a rationale for changing the vehicle. I can afford a new vehicle with cash, but I feel no urge of wanting one.

In a few years, I will be looking to replace this vehicle with another one. And my next one will be a used vehicle again. I try to aim for vehicles that are between 3 to 6 years old. That one, the premium penalty for being new is off. The vehicle is still in good shape. And it may last ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram