Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

My Boss's truck 1996 Dodge 1 ton diesel with a cummings engine, I don't know what size, but it is turbo charged.

I didn't drive it, but he says going down a steep hill it won't go past 60 mph, and stepping on it slows it down more.

This is NH, been pretty cold some snow changing to lots of rain, fog, and high humidity, plus it might be a woods rat moved in. It is cold and dark and I haven't popped the hood.

Other than icing, a nest, maybe a long shot jelled fuel, what could I be looking at?

Below 60mph he says the engine runs fine. he drove it 80 miles one way, where if it were ice i would think it would have melted off in a 3 hour buis meeting, and then he drove it 80 miles back.

Gotta be fuel or air issue right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Start here:

Turbo Diesel Register

If you can't find your answer there, let me know, and I'll pass your question along to some of the old skool engineers.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Thxs for the link. Checking it out right now. I need that same truck for that same ride in the AM! I will pop the hood and have a look. I just changed the oil and all the filters last month.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Mac I have a 96' Cummins myself. I think you meant going "up" a steep hill no? I'm gathering that the power tops out prematurely? First of all in this cold weather you should be running PowerService Diesel Supplement with Cetane boost its the WHITE bottle NOT SILVER. This will take care of gelling and make the engine run like silk. I run it in my main tank in frigid temperatures and use two stroke oil otherwise.

I would immediately change the fuel filter. If that does nothing for him there is something called an overflow valve, it basically governs the fuel pressure for the feed into the injection pump. I just replaced my valve ($25) at 180k and pressure shot up to normal range and the truck really woke up. The valve's internal spring weakens over time and causes fuel pressure to drop.

Replace the fuel filter and then get back to me and I can tell you how to do the valve, its a 10 minute job. Heres a couple part numbers for the filter:

Fleetguard: FS1253

Baldwin: BF1233

Additionally here is the source of all my Cummins information technical and non:

www.cumminsforum.com
www.dieseltruckresource.com

Here is a good 12v primer: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...ead-first.html

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 12-14-2010 at 06:53 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 PM

Thxs Lux, I will swap out another filter in case. It's only a month old and we have smaller vehicals for every day use. The fuel is fresher, unless it got water in it from the pumps.

Air temps here have been down as low as -1 below, but most of the time in the mid 20's F. I don't do centigrade/celsius.

Will check out links.

Plaidmom, you link, unless I am wrong wants a 35 dollar per year subscription. I for sure can't find any registery button, to simply log in. One old magazine mentions 50% loss of power, but the mag is for sale. This isn't my truck, so no dice on any 35 bucks for a question.

Probably with no book at all i can figure this out, but not in clouded over darker than hell cold night.

I did that last night on my own dam car, finding vac leaks and the fact the new valve cover gasket was the wrong one Grrrrrrrr

The problem being a engine breather hose has to be pulled from a tight spot and is a sonnybeach to reinstall 85 volvo turbo at the flame trap, if anyone knows where that jewel of *****-earring lives.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Mac if the filter is only a month old then its probably not that. Here is an ebay link to the overflow valve. I did a buy-it-now on the item and Larry had the valve at my doorstep in literally 2 days:

DODGE DIESEL CUMMINS P7100 Return Overflow Valve NEW!!! - eBay (item 200479317521 end time Dec-29-10 14:18:21 PST)

I'm willing to bet this is the problem. If not, it still needs to be replaced anyways and it WILL make a difference.

P.S. One thing I forgot! There is a fuel pre-heater before the lift pump. There is a screen in it and they frequently clog. I forgot about this because it is bypassed on my truck... its something that every DIY 12 valve owner bypasses mainly because it is a pointless device and does not help at heating the fuel. It only gets clogged and causes issues. If this is not bypassed on his truck then take it apart and clean the screen... you might find your problem there. Here is a link to a fuel system write up, glance through it and you will see everything i'm talking about:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...m-writeup.html

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 12-14-2010 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Plaidmom, you link, unless I am wrong wants a 35 dollar per year subscription. I for sure can't find any registery button, to simply log in. One old magazine mentions 50% loss of power, but the mag is for sale. This isn't my truck, so no dice on any 35 bucks for a question.

Probably with no book at all i can figure this out, but not in clouded over .
I was ~hoping~ you might find an answer on the free forums:

12 Valve Engine and Transmission (1994 - 1998) - TDR Roundtable

If not I'll check back in the am and see if anyone has any insight.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 PM

I can't register and can only read the OP 1st post, no replies. I can read at least one post, where there is a similar question, but can't search, can read and can't post, since I can't register.

This must be a back door, as I can read the whole post and all the replies on the 96 12 valve post:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...t-problem.html

In the AM I will look these items over as i swap another filter in. I think you are registered and posted this link in away I can see, but i am not sure it's legal.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
I have a cummins in a dodge also.

I'd change the fuel filter (again)
Where is he getting his fuel at?
Is it old, does he get it out of a storage tank or at a station?

If he has straight #2 in the tank in might be getting cold enough for it to start to gel.
(maybe)if it's been a while sence he filled up he still could be running summer fuel as winter fuel is blend of #2 &#1

Change the filter and dump in something like power service in the white bottle in to the tank.

For my cummins questions I'd go to. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 AM

The air filter is a folded paper element with a foam pre filter. The air goes thry the pre filter first. It is spotless. I can not 'see' any failure in the intake track, all the rubber boots are intact.

I pulled the cat off, and test drove it, that added power from 0 to 60, and I can get the rig to 62 mph. The cat is partly clogged. The lowend is improved alot.

We get the fuel at a local Citgo, there is about 3/4 tank now. I am going to intall a new fuel filter next, after a little coffee. The fuel is recent, so unless it is fubarred fuel it should be a winter blend.

LUX, can you copy and paste the thread name / title ? No dice seeing that page with the link.
Same thing happens 'no page found' for this artical Joe G's fuel system writeup in Beginners Thread (read first) grrrrr I need that truck right now to drive 160 miles and pick up a promised machine today! it weighs a ton, nothing else here can do it. Ahhhhhhhh

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 12-15-2010 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram