Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 AM

22 posts, read 69,372 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Due to and awkward but money-saving travel arrangement, I'm going to be landing in Cincinnati rather than my hometown of Chicago but I'd like to spend a bit of that money by spending the weekend in Cincinnati before taking the train home. Earlier this year I spent a weekend in Detroit and the suggestions I got from posters on this forum made my weekend, so I'm hoping that users familiar with the area will be able to point me to some fun or interesting things to do in Cincinnati.

Since I won't have a car, I'd rather hear about things to do in or around the downtown area for convenience's sake, but I don't mind taking the bus to a worthy site.

Also, I'd really like to get a good shot of the skyline. If anyone knows of good spots to do this from, I'd really love to hear about them. Or anything else picture-worthy.

Thank you all,

JR

P.S. - Please let me know if there are any budget hotels or even hostels in the area as well as any safety concerns you feel I should be aware of.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:35 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Am not familiar with budget accomodations close to downtown. Hopefully someone else is and will advise.

As far as views of the Cincinnati skyline, the absolute best are from Northern KY. Look up the TANK (Transit Authority Northern Ky) bus routes from downtown to one of the many parks on the hills overlooking Cincinnati.

If you are looking for good photo shots of the skyline, I assume you are into this. Consider spending some time in downtown Cincinnati just walking around and taking photoes of some of the incredible architecture which exists here. Obviously you have access to the net. Just do a search and I am sure it will give you tons of ideas where to look in Cincinnati.

If you actually had an enjoyable weekend in Detroit, Cincinnati should be a snap.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
You picked a good weekend to be in downtown Cincinnati! It's Octoberfest!
Oktoberfest home - Oktoberfest Zinzinnati

If that doesn't float your boat, there is a new art exhibit opening at the Contemporary art Center near fountain square.
Contemporary Arts Center

Aside from all of that, this is about the best weather you could ask for. I would recommend heading up the hill to Mt. Adams and enjoying the view.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
There will be lots of good advice, but please don't leave cincinnati without spending an hour or two in Eden Park, including a visit to the free Krohn Conservatory. Eden Park has been a famous Cincinnati park for a long time. Back when hollywood was different, they even talked about it in the movies.

You could walk to the park, but it will be easier to take bus #1.
http://www.sorta.com/routes/Rt1_053010.pdf (broken link) (map on last page)

also:

Other recent threads that may help:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...-see-when.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...here-stay.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...e-visitor.html

Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Like Chemistry_Guy said ... great weekend!

With Oktoberfest going on ... Downtown last night was just incredible. The place was slammed. Cars couldn't even drive because of the pedestrian traffic.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,554 times
Don't forget to catch a bus up to University Heights (U.C.) area. It's a 5 min bus ride from downtown. Also the gaslight district in Clifton is a pretty cool spot to check out before leaving town. Enjoy your stay.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM

Cool spots, thanks !

Old 09-20-2010, 04:35 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
how was your stay?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:34 PM

I won't be going until October, I was just commenting that the ideas sound fun. I'll let you guys know when I've returned

'Till then, keep'em coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: