Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. What you want to avoid is neighborhoods with rental properties period, not just Section 8 rentals. Not that even that's any guarantee you won't get nightmare neighbors, but at least people living in their own homes MAY tend to maintain them better.

Rentals are everywhere now, though, given the implosion of the housing market. There are just fewer of them as prices go up. Home values in my subdivision range from $150K up to a couple properties in the $500K range, and several of them are now rented out by owners who had to move and couldn't sell.

The recent situation on my own street with the likely illegal basement tenants got me thinking, though. You want to try to avoid neighbor problems, move to the country.

I am always amazed that many people are able to adapt to their troublesome neighbors. I admire those who are able to accept things they do not like but cannot change without bitterness and recrimination. I am not one of those people who can accept the unpleasant neighbor.

You are right. Unless a person has that quality of acceptance, the country is the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 PM

405 posts, read 891,505 times
Default re: neighbor problems

The "neighbor problem" is tough. Our solution is to try to live on bigger lots. The "standard" lot size in the flat neighborhoods in Hyde Park, for example, seems to be 50x150. That is pretty crowded. Every time you turn around you are looking at a neighbor. If they happen to be difficult in any way you have a problem. Let's not even get into the barking dog.

Our current abode is on a half acre lot and the surrounding houses also centered on lots that seem even bigger. This helps a lot. Even if you get a "bad" neighbor in that scenario they are somewhat further away. There are dogs that bark but also usually pretty far away.

Therefore for buying a house in Cincinnati we developed a list of basics like this: 1) lot size at least 100x200 (some breathing room/privacy) 2) updated mechanics (wiring in particular) 3) garage (amazing how many houses don't have a garage) 4) No rental properties near by 5) Minimal crime activity in the past several years in the immediate neighborhood 6) No crime ridden areas right nearby which could spread and eventually lower the value of the neighborhood.

It is somewhat surprising that that basic list of requirements is not so easy to meet.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
You are definitely right, your list of basics is hard to find. A 100x200 lot or bigger in the city itself, plus a garage better than a one-car lean-to falling down. Then you want updated mechanicals, no rentals neaby, and minimal crime. Sounds like the exact same reasons why I moved to the outer suburbs 35 years ago and do not regret it one bit.

I certainly know of areas within the City where I would be quite content to live - but not at a cost anywhere close to my little abode out here in the sticks. Apparently a whole lot of people agree with me since our population has increased over six-fold since I moved here.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
You know you should be able to find all of those things in Mount Washington. There are a lot of quiet, 100% or close owner-occupied neighborhoods with nice 50s and 60s homes on large lots. Also, the rockford woods development in northside might work.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:10 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You are definitely right, your list of basics is hard to find. A 100x200 lot or bigger in the city itself, plus a garage better than a one-car lean-to falling down. Then you want updated mechanicals, no rentals neaby, and minimal crime. Sounds like the exact same reasons why I moved to the outer suburbs 35 years ago and do not regret it one bit.

I certainly know of areas within the City where I would be quite content to live - but not at a cost anywhere close to my little abode out here in the sticks. Apparently a whole lot of people agree with me since our population has increased over six-fold since I moved here.
I guess it's all about where your priorities lie. Living in a split level or ranch or some tract home at the end of a cul-de-sac would be hell on earth for a guy like me. Throw in long commutes to everything we like to do, and the feeling that you have to get in the car to do just about anything it just doesn't sound appealing at all. It's a little more challenging in the inner ring, no doubt, but to each, his own.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I guess it's all about where your priorities lie. Living in a split level or ranch or some tract home at the end of a cul-de-sac would be hell on earth for a guy like me. Throw in long commutes to everything we like to do, and the feeling that you have to get in the car to do just about anything it just doesn't sound appealing at all. It's a little more challenging in the inner ring, no doubt, but to each, his own.
I'm trying to remember--didn't you write a while back that you live in Oakley and like it? What exactly is it that you're looking for again?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

True, hard but not impossible to find. I should mention that I also want 7) a 15 minute or less commute (which means not much further out than the west side of anderson or hyde park), and 8) a street without a double yellow line or lots of cars passing through 9) A house where when you step outside you don't hear the roar of either I71, I75 or I 275.

The last one kills many houses that were built in beautiful places that were ruined (IMHO) by I 275.

Current house meets all the criteria on the list but we don't particular like the house itself

Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
True, hard but not impossible to find. I should mention that I also want 7) a 15 minute or less commute (which means not much further out than the west side of anderson or hyde park), and 8) a street without a double yellow line or lots of cars passing through 9) A house where when you step outside you don't hear the roar of either I71, I75 or I 275.

The last one kills many houses that were built in beautiful places that were ruined (IMHO) by I 275.

Current house meets all the criteria on the list but we don't particular like the house itself
If I learned one lesson from living in the three houses my husband and I've owned during 41 years together, it's that the cliche about "location, location, location" couldn't be more true. With no disrespect intended, you really do have an extensive list of criteria; have you talked to a professional about modifying your current house to make it more likeable?

Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Default re extensive list

It is an extensive list and I could understand if someone found it ridiculous or irritating. But it's based on some very simple ideas: 1) a quiet location (maybe the highest aspect of quality of life for us=== peace and quiet!) 2) easy commute 3) preservation of equity.

I didn't even get into what we want from the house itself LOL, that list was just the location issues! Agree 100% about location in terms of value.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:55 AM

325 posts, read 1,125,488 times
From what I remember section 8 is what ruined Stratford Manor / Eastwood Village around 1963....didn't have any problems until then. I'm not talking about a certain race of people just a certain type of people that moved in.........went down hill from there. Hyden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati