Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 33,594 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent grad from the University of Cincinnati and am looking for a position as a biologist or chemist. I have looked around at some of the major companies. I am wondering if there are some smaller companies to look at, or would it be best to relocate. Anyone have some suggestions where to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 PM

405 posts, read 892,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdoc View Post
I'm a recent grad from the University of Cincinnati and am looking for a position as a biologist or chemist. I have looked around at some of the major companies. I am wondering if there are some smaller companies to look at, or would it be best to relocate. Anyone have some suggestions where to look?
What was your major? Biology and chemistry are very different fields-- do you have an advanced degree? If you only have a BA, one possibility would be to become a research tech at a medical science lab at Childrens or UC Medical center.

What advice did you get during your college career about jobs with only a bachelors? Have you had any interviews? What career path do you think you have?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,303,278 times
The words on your degree don't carry nearly as much weight (at the B.S. level) as your work experience. Any science major that has interned at a chemistry lab for a few years, for example, can work as a bachelor's chemist.

I do not know if there is something comparable for biologists, but chemists have the ACS (American Chemical Society). It is a professional organization that has many resources for chemists, and we have regular meetings where chemists can meet. In addition, there are job postings resources for job seekers. The membership dues is very low if you are a student or unemployed.

As to job prospects in Cincinnati... there are a lot of options but you will probably feel underemployed. Typically BS science graduates have 2 paths open, and it can kinda suck for many people. While my experience is mostly with chemists and biochemists, I suspect biology may be similar. The first path is the technical path. You get a job doing routine testing for a contract lab, or as a technician for a research institution such as a University, hospital, government agency, etc. Pay is low, typically 25-40K, and the work is not that exciting. After a few years of paying your dues, you will have the option of getting a better position at a company like P&G, Givaudan, or in pharma. The second track is for individuals with great non-science skills to complement your scientific literacy. These positions are very competitive, and typically require at least some connections for a recent graduate. Some examples that I have seen (my own former students) were technical writing for a law firm, management tracks at chemistry related companies, sales at instrument companies, and policy researching at the EPA.

Unfortunately the jobs that are mostly available are the lower paying technical jobs, as most research jobs are taken by those with advanced degrees. The good news is that after 2-3 years of working one, you are typically more employable than a newly minted PhD.

Possibly the most important advice I can give you, if you are going to be in the market for technical jobs, is to do something that has a very transferable skill. For example, for a biologist this might be real time PCR, genetics testing using mouse models, site-directed mutagenesis, or something similar. Your resume will be very attractive once you can put, at the top, 4 years of X experience in an industrial setting.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 33,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
What was your major? Biology and chemistry are very different fields-- do you have an advanced degree? If you only have a BA, one possibility would be to become a research tech at a medical science lab at Childrens or UC Medical center.

What advice did you get during your college career about jobs with only a bachelors? Have you had any interviews? What career path do you think you have?
I have a BS in Biology. I have applied to openings a number of different places including Children's and UC. I had one interview with Children's for a research assistant position and was told the job was put on hold. I would prefer to work in research, but am open to other opportunities. I currently work as a contractor at P&G, which is more of a chemistry job. I'd like to get hired onto P&G, but there are only pockets of biology positions. Most of the work is hired out to agencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati