Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 08:48 PM

13 posts, read 46,383 times

Advertisements

Madison Apartments in Cincinnati, OH | Apartments.com

Does anyone know stuff about this complex/area? It is near the intersection of Dana and Madison.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,849,764 times
The complex is nice enough, but nothing special sets it apart from countless similar '60s-70s "communities." It's overshadowed in more ways than one by the nearby Madison House and Regency high-rises, the latter building being by far the most sought-after address among the three. My own tastes lean toward the older "brick boxes" across the street, but that's me.
You'd be situated within five minutes' drive of the Rookwood shopping plaza, Hyde Park Square, and O'Bryonville. That means you have everything but a supermarket (not counting Whole Foods) close at hand. Xavier University is a quick trip up Dana Ave, which has access to I-71. So for convenience it's pretty close to ideal.
"Hype Park" is one of three adjoining east-side Cincinnati communities that started out upscale and have stayed that way. In contrast, O'Bryonville is noticeably not so well-off once you've turned off of Madison Rd. The distinction is particularly jarring if you approach from Easthill Ave, a gaslit street lined with mature trees and rambling houses, for it intersects with Pogue Ave and its shabby little dwellings. But although it may lack in curb appeal, the O'Bryonville streets are every bit as quiet and crime-free as the ones in Hyde Park. You can be sure the big houses all have security systems, though. As "event-free" as O'Bryonville may be, it doesn't lie very far from the meaner streets of Evanston.
Before signing a lease you might want to find out how many (if any) XU students keep apartments there. Madison Apts seems to mainly house yuppie singles and couples, and there are certain to be some older folks there as well (particularly if it's Musketeer-free.) Also "happen by" on a mild Saturday night to see how the noise level is. With all else equal the only thing which would deter me from moving into that complex would be that. BTW if you don't happen to be White or Asian, I can't guarantee that profiling will never occur. But that's how it goes in much of Cincinnati, not only Hype Park.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM

13 posts, read 46,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The complex is nice enough, but nothing special sets it apart from countless similar '60s-70s "communities." It's overshadowed in more ways than one by the nearby Madison House and Regency high-rises, the latter building being by far the most sought-after address among the three. My own tastes lean toward the older "brick boxes" across the street, but that's me.
You'd be situated within five minutes' drive of the Rookwood shopping plaza, Hyde Park Square, and O'Bryonville. That means you have everything but a supermarket (not counting Whole Foods) close at hand. Xavier University is a quick trip up Dana Ave, which has access to I-71. So for convenience it's pretty close to ideal.
"Hype Park" is one of three adjoining east-side Cincinnati communities that started out upscale and have stayed that way. In contrast, O'Bryonville is noticeably not so well-off once you've turned off of Madison Rd. The distinction is particularly jarring if you approach from Easthill Ave, a gaslit street lined with mature trees and rambling houses, for it intersects with Pogue Ave and its shabby little dwellings. But although it may lack in curb appeal, the O'Bryonville streets are every bit as quiet and crime-free as the ones in Hyde Park. You can be sure the big houses all have security systems, though. As "event-free" as O'Bryonville may be, it doesn't lie very far from the meaner streets of Evanston.
Before signing a lease you might want to find out how many (if any) XU students keep apartments there. Madison Apts seems to mainly house yuppie singles and couples, and there are certain to be some older folks there as well (particularly if it's Musketeer-free.) Also "happen by" on a mild Saturday night to see how the noise level is. With all else equal the only thing which would deter me from moving into that complex would be that. BTW if you don't happen to be White or Asian, I can't guarantee that profiling will never occur. But that's how it goes in much of Cincinnati, not only Hype Park.
Thank you for your thorough response!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,849,764 times
Default To the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcake View Post
Thank you for your thorough response!
¡De nada!
BTW I thought your screen name looked familiar. (After all, how many people call themselves a variety of uranium? ) So I pulled up your previous posts. If you're still working in Montgomery that location would be fantastic for commuting from. You can wave and laugh at everybody inching along in the opposite direction. I once did business with someone who lived in Walnut Hills and worked in Madeira, who did just that each day.
If you do set up housekeeping in the Madison Apartments, or in the vicinity, "hie yourself" (an expression my Southern mom likes to use) to the Bonbonnerie/What's For Dinner complex at the poetic and coincidental intersection of Madison Rd and Cinnamon St in O'Bryonville. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...their cookies and cakes, made right on the premises, are fantastic. What's For Dinner serves up excellent AND healthful carry-out dishes, and if you're a connoisseur (sp?) of the brewed leaf there's even a tea room there.
From the number of Weber "kettle" grills I saw on Madison Apts balconies when I rolled past there last month, if you get in good with fellow tenants you could get yourself plenty of good eatin' without having to cook right at home too.
I also noticed that some of the brick-box buildings on the odd-numbered side of Madison Rd had for-rent signs in front. Do yourself a favor. Get some rate quotes, and have a look through a unit or three. I like these kinds of buildings not only because I may have been conceived in one, but because they have spacious floor plans + separate dining rooms + those big windows in the living room. Cincinnati was fertile ground for brick boxes (while they're next to impossible to find in New England.) There are literally hundreds all through the city, with some more good examples right in Hyde Park along Edwards Rd, and Erie and Observatory Ave's, and on most of the length of Linwood Ave as it twists and turns its way to and from Mt Lookout Square. Getting to and from Montgomery would be even faster from Edwards Rd, since its northern end leads right onto I-71. Maybe it's just the name, but there's something about the large brick box with "Aero" on the front which is cool to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati