Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 PM

405 posts, read 891,138 times

Advertisements

As I posted recently, the state generated local fund provides 12% of Cincinnati's general fund. So, a 50% cut means a new deficit of 6% for Cincinnati.

That is 19.2 Million per year!! On top of the pre-existing apparenty insurmountable 58 million dollar deficit.

These cuts will hit all Ohio Municipalities very hard. I don't really see how Cincinnati can deal with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Congratulations on the tax cuts, rich people!!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
I'm far from rich and I don't necessarily subscribe to any political philosophy (so don't bother trying to brand me), but it makes me ill to watch the way government spends my tax dollars. There is so much waste and I am sick of people who don't deserve handouts getting them. Government by its very nature is inefficient. Because it exists on revenue that it doesn't have to earn by being accountable, efficient or competitive to survive, it makes mistakes and stupid decisions with relative impunity. The only way to deal with that is to cut its funding and make it work smarter.

I don't have much faith in the election process to correct these problems because most smart people avoid running for public office, and frankly I think the electorate is too ill informed and greedy to make the right decisions to "throw the bums out." And even if they do, the bums that they replace them with generally aren't much better.

So, when I see comments like those above from the liberal corner of the state, it reminds me that people are often motivated by petty class jealousy and really don't care about the real issues and problems so long as they get what they feel they are entitled to.

And so, yes, I feel that I can spend my own money more effectively than the government, and I support tax cuts for taxpayers with corresponding spending cuts on the part of government. We simply spend too much on too many things that don't matter in the big scheme of things.

Where I do get concerned about is that there are too many individuals who do not pay taxes like the rest of us, and there are too many states and municipalities who are willing to make sweetheart deals to attract businesses to where the burden of taxation falls on the average taxpayer. I get the whole idea of needing jobs and the collateral effect that those payroll taxes and spending of those wageearners has on an economy, but business appears in many cases to hold government hostage with the threat of moving to a more tax friendly environment. I fear that bigger businesses in some cases don't carry their share of the load. I know, I know, corporations don't pay taxes, the consumer does, but what's the tipping point? I think government is too eager to look good and crow about how many good jobs they can bring to the area (in a bid to be reelected by appealing to greed) for them to really examine whether or not the tax deal they are cutting with the business really makes business sense for the government.

ugh

Old 03-16-2011, 06:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Yes these cuts are going to be felt by every municipality. Cincy is not alone, Dayton is probably worse off since the state GLF represents a higher percentage of their budget. The cuts in school financing are also going to be a source of lamenting by everyone.

What I don't understand is why anyone is surprised at the outcome. They are only doing what they were voted in to do. The stimulus money which artificially propped up some areas is drying up, exposing the real problems.

As far as the rich people escaping tax increases, get real! They cannot do this on their own, as they simply do not have enough votes. True, they can control votes in many ways, financial support of campaigns, etc. But what amazes me is how many people in my circle of acquaintances staunchly defend the rich as the provider of jobs. In my opinion this is BS. The rich do not provide jobs, the businesses they own or are major shareholders in do. The major corporations, particularly those with international ties, simply go with the flow. Outsourcing jobs, transferring production, they will go where their accountants tell them it is profitable.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:12 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I'm far from rich and I don't necessarily subscribe to any political philosophy (so don't bother trying to brand me), but it makes me ill to watch the way government spends my tax dollars. There is so much waste and I am sick of people who don't deserve handouts getting them. Government by its very nature is inefficient. Because it exists on revenue that it doesn't have to earn by being accountable, efficient or competitive to survive, it makes mistakes and stupid decisions with relative impunity. The only way to deal with that is to cut its funding and make it work smarter.

I don't have much faith in the election process to correct these problems because most smart people avoid running for public office, and frankly I think the electorate is too ill informed and greedy to make the right decisions to "throw the bums out." And even if they do, the bums that they replace them with generally aren't much better.

So, when I see comments like those above from the liberal corner of the state, it reminds me that people are often motivated by petty class jealousy and really don't care about the real issues and problems so long as they get what they feel they are entitled to.

And so, yes, I feel that I can spend my own money more effectively than the government, and I support tax cuts for taxpayers with corresponding spending cuts on the part of government. We simply spend too much on too many things that don't matter in the big scheme of things.
I appreciate where you are coming from regarding the need for government to be more efficient. You talk a lot about "waste" and "spending on things that don't matter" in very general terms. When I drill down into actual government budgets, I've found them to be really pretty rational and reasonable. There are some exceptions in positively perceived areas like police, fire, and military because these are so beloved by the public that any cut in funding is seen as a breach of trust and a threat to the general welfare. But less respected programs like transit and arts and education have been getting drummed for years and years, to the point where the budgets already are minimal at best for the service being provided.

So I guess my curiosity is to what, specifically, you are referring to when you talk about inefficiencies and waste.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes these cuts are going to be felt by every municipality. Cincy is not alone, Dayton is probably worse off since the state GLF represents a higher percentage of their budget. The cuts in school financing are also going to be a source of lamenting by everyone.

What I don't understand is why anyone is surprised at the outcome. They are only doing what they were voted in to do. The stimulus money which artificially propped up some areas is drying up, exposing the real problems.

As far as the rich people escaping tax increases, get real! They cannot do this on their own, as they simply do not have enough votes. True, they can control votes in many ways, financial support of campaigns, etc. But what amazes me is how many people in my circle of acquaintances staunchly defend the rich as the provider of jobs. In my opinion this is BS. The rich do not provide jobs, the businesses they own or are major shareholders in do. The major corporations, particularly those with international ties, simply go with the flow. Outsourcing jobs, transferring production, they will go where their accountants tell them it is profitable.
Most job creation comes from the growth of small businesses. To grow small businesses you need cash. Cash comes from people with cash. Ergo, "rich people" provide jobs.

PS, small business growth is almost never financed by "profits." Very few businesses earn enough "profits" to finance growth. And, taxes reduce the already insufficient amount necessary to finance that growth.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
When I look around, I do not see the evidence of that many small businesses compared to years past. What I do see is a whole lot of franchisees of larger chains. Yes, I understand there is a sum to be put up to obtain a franchise, but I am willing to bet the lion's share is in the form of loans based on the perceived viability of the franchise. Even simple services like the plumber, the carpet cleaner, etc. now seem to be a franchised operation. So pardon me if I don't buy the job creation by small business theory. Give me some real statistics on totally independent businesses rather than large chain franchisees and I may change my mind.

I do understand the squeeze has been applied to the small business owner. Over my lifetime (I am 70+), I have seen it go from very liberal tax writeoffs to a tightened situation. In my own family circles I have seen it change from where a small business owned vehicles, no not delivery vans or the like, but Cadillacs and Lincolns charged to the business for no apparent business reason. This was extended to country club memberships, seasons tickets to professional sports, paid for by the business plus liberal doses of golf rounds for guests, dinner, drinks, etc. These were blatant tax doges.

I am for these reforms as I believe they level out the playing field between the advantaged and the employee. The advantaged in many cases was financed by another family member. So regardless of their personal ability or integrity the situation lived on. Frankly I am against simply money passing from one generation to the next without some endeavor which at least professes to advance the common good.

Sorry, but I am of the belief nothing is guaranteed you in this life. If you come from a privileged background, then you need to be better than average to retain it. Why better than average? - because you had a head start which most people do not. On the other hand, those who just want to lament their lot in life, have no reason to profit as they have not contributed anything to change the overall circumstance.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
We have to get rid of this entrenched pension system for one. We also need to contract out services like other cities do, things like parking attnedants, groundswork and such. Cincinnati salaraies are Riculously high compared to much larger citie liek Indy and Louisville.

For example every member of council has another full time job, yet the council is a full time position at 74K a year plus a staff, offices and operating budget. A city like Indianapolis has a part time city council, no paid staff, no offices. Cincinnati pays its police more and we have more of them than cities FOUR times our size,

The unions and the fact so many people here have never lived anywhere else, means they have no clue how much more we pay for services here compared to other much larger cities.

In most cities municpal parking garages are leased out to private companies that manage them and pay the city a fee. Parking meters are privately run with cities getting millions in up front revenue for the contacts and annual (budgetable revenue). The mayor of Cicninnati pop 297K makes the same as the mayor of Indianpolis Pop 1.2 Mill.

The facts are there is so much duplication of services between city and county. Cincy has a parks dept and a recreation department for example. We have parking meters in neighborhoods where no one every parks. The salaries are just so out of line its almost criminal.

We need a combined city/county govenrment. It would instantly raise the city population to over 800,000, raise the stature of the city overall and with a streamlined government geta better handle on government waste and the "back room deals' that go on here.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
When I drill down into actual government budgets, I've found them to be really pretty rational and reasonable. There are some exceptions in positively perceived areas like police, fire, and military because these are so beloved by the public that any cut in funding is seen as a breach of trust and a threat to the general welfare. But less respected programs like transit and arts and education have been getting drummed for years and years, to the point where the budgets already are minimal at best for the service being provided

This is a correct observation. Investigate local budgets and you'll see, aside from capital budgets, the largest line items are personnel costs, and those are, indeed, mostly in public safety (Police and Fire). And teachers/staff for school districts.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:54 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
As far as the rich people escaping tax increases, get real!
Get real? That's exactly what is happening and will continue to happen. And, all along people thought that this would be a shared sacrifice...suckers.

Kasichstan's new tax structure will be the same as every other miserable jerkwater bumpkinville. Cut taxes for the rich, transfer the burden created to the municipalities, and then sell off state assets and float bonds to make up the difference. In 4 year, he'll bid adieu to the governors mansion as his glad-handing cronies will most certainly put him in a posh, do-nothing position on a board of directors somewhere to thank him for all of his effort in pushing their tax burden onto the middle class of Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati