Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
This is a general post of my experience in Cincy . I was there for 3 days and this what I found.
I drove through most of cincinati starting from Downtown 5th street where there was some festival going on last week. Took the Elm street and drove through Vine street and from there went through W.Mcmikken and took the Madison road to reach the Hyde park sqaure.

It looked like Europe with those small streets and nice houses and slopes. But could not find much apartments though, most of them were individual houses. Drove along the Paxton avenue, Observatory avenue and even went inside the Ault park. Looked clean and green.

Then took the Dana avenue from Xavier Univ , reading avenue and norwood parkway to cover most of the areas such as St.Bernard , Avondale, North Avondale, and reached the Clifton areas such as Ludlow and University areas. They looked very crowded and densely populated.

Then drove around the Christ, Deaconess hospitals , Samaritan horpitals and around the Walnut hills, Eden park areas.

I could find lot of Indians around Beechmont avenue - Anderson township, cherry grove etc, since there is a Hindu temple out there near 275 and 125.
The main differnece I could notice was the narrow and slopy roads which was a pleasure and challenging to drive esp in the Paxton avenue and the Auburn areas. But only disadvantage I thought was to reach to these suburbs you can come through 275 but no where you can stop for a tea or coffee in 275...

Another area which I liked was near the 5 mile road near Beechmont avenue and there was a nature preserver there. quite lush green and great houses.

I came from Houston TX and Cincy fared quite different to me. It was nevertheless an enjoyable experience to me. We dint have time otherwise would have driven throught the Indian Hill, Mason, Blue ash areas. May be next time.

Hope this would help others who are lookign info abt Cincy..a wonderful city with natural beauty can compete with any city if properly improved and maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
I could find lot of Indians around Beechmont avenue - Anderson township, cherry grove etc, since there is a Hindu temple out there near 275 and 125.

I am not aware of a large population of Indians in Anderson.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Thank you so much for taking the time to find the forum and also to post about Cincy. The perspective of someone not from here is so valuable and more rare than you might expect. Despite all of our squabbling on this forum, we love it here, too.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:07 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,262 times
Compared to Houston all roads are Narrow..lol

Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
...Cincy..a wonderful city with natural beauty can compete with any city if properly improved and maintained.
Thank you so much for posting your impressions. I haven't seen a better summary about Cincinnati anywhere than what I quoted from you above. Best wishes on your move.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:10 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times
If I might make a suggestion...on your next visit to the city, don't limit yourself to the eastern part of town. There is a lot to be seen on the west side as well.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 PM

575 posts, read 1,370,372 times
Default to insightofitall

You mean someone is admitting to a non-native that there is west side of Cincinnati?! No wonder I keep commenting about the apocalypse!

Old 06-04-2011, 02:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Isn't this the individual who was looking for a community of Indian folks? Not much on the west side as far as I know.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:34 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Isn't this the individual who was looking for a community of Indian folks? Not much on the west side as far as I know.
So that means it's not worth checking out? The OP said nothing about only seeking places with a high percentage of Indians. It simply read like a review of his (her?) impression of the city after driving around the area. Perhaps I should shut up next time and not offer my thoughts.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
shanv3... I liked your comments on Cincinnati as a result of your brief visit. I think most of your observations were astute. As far as not finding convenient places for coffee or tea along I-275, I believe most residents only want one thing from it - get me to work and back home as fast as possible and with the fewest interruptions.

For your visit it seemed you did quite well observing the city. The comments from the West Side are just those feeling neglected raising their heads. Sure the West Side has some nice areas. I am an East Sider from the beginning and since I am still east of I-75 I guess still am. But my son and DIL have been West Siders, Mt Airy, for the last 20+ years. My grandson will graduate today from La Salle HS and attend UC this fall. They have elected to stay in their smaller, but very nice home, until the kids are at least through college. Due to age, our visits to them are less frequent now. I must state, each visit to their area seems to reflect a downturn. They are in a nice couple of small cul-de-sac streets development less than 25 years old. But it seems like everything immediately surrounding them has plummeted in both appearance and safety. I need to repost this on the Colerain thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati