Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,126 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a ridiculous question...but I am relocating to Cincy for a job that I travel quite a bit in. I will be everywhere around the city and Dayton. SO...I am looking for a apartment but not sure what side of the city to lease on..I know Nothing about Cincy so I am not sure what to look at and where to begin. I am a single female with no kids so I want to be in a nice area..any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Welcome to "Cin-Day." It would be helpful if local posters could learn more about your own situation, needs, and aspirations. For example, what kind of apt (or house?) are you looking for and what will you be willing to pay for rent? Specifically, what type of job will you have that requires so much local travel--and will this job entail even further travel (such as in sales?). And what are your leisure/entertainment needs, if any? The "I-75 Corridor" from Cincinnati-to-Dayton is one of the busiest commercial highways in the entire country--and your location in relation to it and your job will be crucial.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:59 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy 1975 View Post
This is sort of a ridiculous question...but I am relocating to Cincy for a job that I travel quite a bit in. I will be everywhere around the city and Dayton. SO...I am looking for a apartment but not sure what side of the city to lease on..I know Nothing about Cincy so I am not sure what to look at and where to begin. I am a single female with no kids so I want to be in a nice area..any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
I lived in "Charleston at Blue Ash" in Blue Ash when I moved to town 8 years ago. It's a fantastic location-----right on Ronald Reagan and 71 in Blue Ash-----which means easy access to 75, too. It was clean, modern, fair rent, safe, and great amenities. Lots of young people----it's a favorite spot for residents and fellows from the area hospitals. It's next to the Blue Ash Ampitheater where I saw the Go-Go's and REO Speedwagon for free (Yippee! I'm a child of the 80's)----and about a 15 minute walk to downtown Montgomery.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I lived in "Charleston at Blue Ash" in Blue Ash when I moved to town 8 years ago. It's a fantastic location-----right on Ronald Reagan and 71 in Blue Ash-----which means easy access to 75, too. It was clean, modern, fair rent, safe, and great amenities. Lots of young people----it's a favorite spot for residents and fellows from the area hospitals. It's next to the Blue Ash Ampitheater where I saw the Go-Go's and REO Speedwagon for free (Yippee! I'm a child of the 80's)----and about a 15 minute walk to downtown Montgomery.
I agree it is a good recommendation and a great location. Some other nearby places I would check out are Hunters Creek Apartments, Walnut Creek Townhomes, and Indian Creek Apartments. Just about anything in Blue Ash or Montgomery is going to give you the safe atmosphere you desire plus the convenience of getting on the highway to travel. Won't be the cheapest, but will be nice.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree it is a good recommendation and a great location. Some other nearby places I would check out are Hunters Creek Apartments, Walnut Creek Townhomes, and Indian Creek Apartments. Just about anything in Blue Ash or Montgomery is going to give you the safe atmosphere you desire plus the convenience of getting on the highway to travel. Won't be the cheapest, but will be nice.
Oh, that reminds me, I know someone who lives in Indian Creek and loves it. She's a person with reasonably high expectations, too, so I'd consider her recommendation a solid one. No idea about price, though. Probably not cheap.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Oh, that reminds me, I know someone who lives in Indian Creek and loves it. She's a person with reasonably high expectations, too, so I'd consider her recommendation a solid one. No idea about price, though. Probably not cheap.
Face it Sarah, no place in the area which is really attractive to live in is going to be cheap. I look at some of the rentals and think I am glad to be old. I never paid for a house, mortgage, insurance, and property taxes combined even equal to half what some of these apartment rentals are. But that just reflects how conservative I am and the decisions I made. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from my father was Do not be house poor!, save something for the rest of life.

If it was just me, and looking at a steady diet of business travel involving both Cincinnati and Dayton, I would likely be looking at a plain 1-bd apartment complex around Fairfield, hopefully for a much cheaper rate. If you are going to be traveling a lot, particularly if irregular hours, all you really need is a comfortable place to sleep, wash and get dressed. Save on the rent, join a 24-hr fitness club you can go anytime to burn off energy, and eat out a lot. That would be my plan, but everyone is different.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 AM

59 posts, read 111,594 times
Here are some sites to check for a couple of places mentioned above.

Charleston at Blue Ash Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Blue Ash apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Indian Creek Apartments | Two Bedroom

Luxury Apartments in Blue Ash | Charleston at Blue Ash Apartments

http:/www.apartmentguide.com

I was researching places to live earlier this year. I wanted to sell my house and move to something requiring less work for me (apt. condo, etc.). After reading some of the comments I backed off making a move, for now.

Good luck in your selection.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 AM

$honey...

I think you made a wise decision. Unless your house is something very unique you stand to take a loss over what you paid for it. Hopefully you are at least not underwater, but losing equity is never pleasant.

Due to some of the inceased requirements on mortages, percentage down, income versus amount owed, etc. I think more and more people are being forced to rent as they do not qualify to buy. This should be helping the rental market.

If you are in a position to buy there are some good deals on condos out there. I will cite one example. My neice was in her mid-thirties before she married. She had a very nice condo in the Landen area of Deerfield Twp. When she married they moved to Indianapolis for a job opportunity for the husband. She rapidly knew she could not sell the condo except at a big loss. Attempted to rent it. The first renters made a big mess of it and also did not pay the rent. Had to go to court to have them evicted. My brother paid to have it professionally cleaned and took over the job of renting it. His approach - set the rent high until you have the opportunity to evaluate potential renters, you can always decide to lower it, no law against that. He has several avenues to evaluate potential renters, job stability, debt, etc.

The condo is currently rented, but at a rate lower than the mortgage payment. Best they have been able to do. The current renters are at least taking care of the property. My brother had a lawyer write up a lease agreement which stipulates the landlord has the right to a monthly inspection with proper advance notification. With power of attorney he represents the landlord.

The neice recently had her first baby at age 37. They are ecstatic, no call it delirious. The last thing they want to do is worry about some condo in another city. I am reasonably sure if they got an offer they could cover the condo would be sold to get out from under it. I believe in this climate there are multiple conditions like this. As normal, the problem is finding them.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 PM

59 posts, read 111,594 times
kjbrill

Thanks for info and concern. I have been in my home a long time. I paid it off early, many years ago, so am not under water. But with the recent adjustments in home values, the value is considerably less than the all time high. I wanted to find something where I did not have to worry about the lawn (I have it mowed) etc. I wanted to eliminate stairs and to downsize and was looking for something closer to my brother. A recent health diagnosis has given me a wait and see attitude.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $honey View Post
kjbrill

Thanks for info and concern. I have been in my home a long time. I paid it off early, many years ago, so am not under water. But with the recent adjustments in home values, the value is considerably less than the all time high. I wanted to find something where I did not have to worry about the lawn (I have it mowed) etc. I wanted to eliminate stairs and to downsize and was looking for something closer to my brother. A recent health diagnosis has given me a wait and see attitude.
If you have been in your house a long time your major concern is selling it for a much lower price than it was previously worth. But if you can find a truely one-floor condo, perhaps an end unit, under the same circumstances where its value has also been suppressed by the market, overall the move may equal out.

My only advice would be to insure anything you buy is capable of handicap access. This includes walkways and entrance doors, no steps at all. Also interior hallways, doors, bathrooms, etc. where a power wheelchair can be used. Such things as pullbars in bathrooms, walk in showers instead of tubs, etc. make a big difference. I have retrofitted our house for many of these requirements, including an elevator for the two-story, but the result is less than ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati