Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 AM

22 posts, read 36,617 times

Advertisements

I found houses are cheaper and newer in Norwood. How is Cameron Ave. and Catherine Ave.? Are those streets good neighborhood for family with teen age kids? Is Norwood in Cincinnati City limit and can go to Walnut hill high school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
Norwood is a city of its own, not part of Cincinnati, although it is bordered by Cincinnati on all sides. I do not know anything about the specific streets you mentioned, but in general Norwood is fairly safe and good for families when compared to other neighborhoods in the price range.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:59 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times
While Norwood has it's own separate public school system, I believe it's still possible to attend Walnut Hills if your child can pass the entrance exam and you pay a non-resident tuition.

Norwood schools rate surprisingly high, particularly the elementary schools, but I think the ratings only tell part of the story. I think their program may be a bit shallow when you compare it to other school systems.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:13 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I believe it's still possible to attend Walnut Hills if your child can pass the entrance exam and you pay a non-resident tuition.
This was the case, up until recently, when CPS adopted an open enrollment policy.

Open Enrollment | Cincinnati Public Schools

Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM

Does anybody know how much is the fee of Walnut Hill High for non-Cincinnati residents and is there transportation if the student lives in other area like Norwood? I see on the map Norwood is pretty close to Walnut Hill High.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM

Keep in mind that Walnut Hills is a selective high school and that Cincinnati residents receive priority(at least that is what the website indicates). Also, the student must score highly on an entrance exam in order to get in. I don't know anyone personally that didn't get in, but statistically most do not.

I do not think there is yellow bus service to Walnut from Norwood but there might be a student discount on Metro Bus service.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Keep in mind that Walnut Hills is a selective high school and that Cincinnati residents receive priority(at least that is what the website indicates). Also, the student must score highly on an entrance exam in order to get in. I don't know anyone personally that didn't get in, but statistically most do not.

I do not think there is yellow bus service to Walnut from Norwood but there might be a student discount on Metro Bus service.

Is Metro Bus safe for students?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
TomJones123... I understand your comment on the open enrollment policy.

This now seems to be the norm for the majority of the school districts in Ohio.

I just have one question. Since the priority is given to the applicants within the local school district, would you want to rely on application to what I would assume is one of the highest demand schools in CPS, Walnut Hills? I think I would be a little nervous about this.

I was wrong, I do have a second question. Since the majority of school districts now express an open enrollment policy in Ohio, where can I find any statistics about how many actually enroll cross-districts? I suspect it is a very small percentage.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM

410 posts, read 586,627 times
Metro bus service is absolutely safe for students. You should have a fairly direct route from Norwood to Walnut Hills High School.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Z View Post
Is Metro Bus safe for students?
The Metro is safe for students, even middle school students if they are mature. I rode the Metro to high school every day for my first two years and never had a problem. The only concern I might have about the Metro is waiting at the bus stop to ride home after school if the bus does not stop at the school itself. The intersection of Blair and Montgomery is not a place for high school kids to be after dark, and if the kids do sports or clubs in the winter they would need to catch the bus there. I do not know if the school has any accommodations to alleviate this. You would need to call the school and find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati