Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:20 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times

Advertisements

I have started this thread to record the progress of rhe Cincinnati Streetcar since the issuance of the 7/15/2013 construction contract. Took long enough to get to this point. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here. Anyone who believes that I have a lead on a London Bridge out in Arizona which is probably for sale. Well let's go forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,909,522 times
Learn to stop worrying and love the streetcar

Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Brill, COAST could stage a hunger strike by throwing themselves in the construction zone and you would blame the city for the delays. You can't just point the finger at Cincy leadership w/o acknowledging several years of failed efforts by the obstructionists. Well, actually, you can, but then you just sound like the people you claim to have not part of.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM

Tom... And always blaming the nebulous obstructionists for delays they really have no control over is just as bad.

They managed to force two votes on the issue, how long ago? Other than that, how were they able to actually halt progress? The Cincinnati Engineering Dept. can work on any project the supervisors deem fit. The streetcar should have been engineered to the nth degree several times over with duplicate and contingency plans. Why did any failed interference from the obstructionists cause this to not happen other than the politicians within the city structure not having the conviction to move ahead?

Any time a small group of just vocal obstructionists on talk radio, etc. can bring a City to its knees, I still say there is something wrong in the City itself. Of course I know what it is - it is called PYA (Protect Your Ass).

I keep hearing about COAST. Frankly they may as well be on another planet far as I am concerned. I never listen to talk radio, what are their qualifications to comment on anything? I cancelled my subscription to the Enquirer years ago, concluding their news content was both biased and often plain wrong. I do follow the news broadcasts on the local TV media long as I feel they are news not parrots.

So exactly who are these people being impacted and influenced by the obstructionists?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Tom... And always blaming the nebulous obstructionists for delays they really have no control over is just as bad.
No, I don't always do anything. The obstructionists are mainly COAST goof balls, and company. It's pretty well documented that there has been fierce opposition from this crowd, and others, for years. I've also been pretty vocal expressing my criticisms at city leadership for their part in the delays. No doubt, they are culpable. But, nice try in endeavouring to divide us into camps so you can start a fresh round of dead horse arguments. In fact, I think if we actually had a reasoned conversation, you would find we agree on many points when it comes to the street car. Peace!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:28 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,909,522 times
Quote:
They managed to force two votes on the issue, how long ago? Other than that, how were they able to actually halt progress? The Cincinnati Engineering Dept. can work on any project the supervisors deem fit. The streetcar should have been engineered to the nth degree several times over with duplicate and contingency plans. Why did any failed interference from the obstructionists cause this to not happen other than the politicians within the city structure not having the conviction to move ahead?
Did you already forget the parking lease case where they temporarily obstructed the city's ability to pass emergency ordinances? Then, not long after the judge knocked that case down, council approved the extra money for the Messer contract.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
No, I don't always do anything. The obstructionists are mainly COAST goof balls, and company. It's pretty well documented that there has been fierce opposition from this crowd, and others, for years. I've also been pretty vocal expressing my criticisms at city leadership for their part in the delays. No doubt, they are culpable. But, nice try in endeavouring to divide us into camps so you can start a fresh round of dead horse arguments. In fact, I think if we actually had a reasoned conversation, you would find we agree on many points when it comes to the street car. Peace!
I just feel COAST has been given far more credit for obstructing the streetcar than they deserve. I keep hearing about their fierce opposition. But when I go to look for the fierce opposition, I think this is fierce? What would these people do up against a really organized opposition? I am not a member of COAST and do not intend to be a member. I speak my own mind and am not a parrot.

But to give COAST the credit for delaying the streetcar all of this time. You are giving them far more credit than they deserve. The indecision of Cincinnati is far more responsible than anything COAST could ever muster.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM

FORWARD, FORWARD, FORWARD !!!

Let's see now well it moves forward.

Far as loving the streetcar, I will love it when it is running in this decade and not costing the City of Cincinnati an arm and a leg to operate.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I just feel COAST has been given far more credit for obstructing the streetcar than they deserve.
Brill, you are being way too obvious here. You know darn good and well all the different layers of opposition that has come against Cincinnati concerning the street car.

But your usual position is "It's all the city's fault," which just doesn't hold much water.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Brill, you are being way too obvious here. You know darn good and well all the different layers of opposition that has come against Cincinnati concerning the street car.

But your usual position is "It's all the city's fault," which just doesn't hold much water.
No Tom. I actually don't. I have heard a lot of allegations of opposition, but the actual documentation of anything I considered substantial has been pretty weak. It has been like fighting with your sister.

And your position the City has no blame because it is the obstructionists fault also carries water like a sieve.

Let's just agree to see how it goes forward from here. We are now 5 days into the contract and counting. I am willing to see how this plays out.

Last edited by kjbrill; 07-22-2013 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati