Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,531 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving from SW CT to Cincinnati for great new job but worried about my kids making the transition? They are big in lax; what are the schools, programs like out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,909,845 times
I had to think for a bit what lax might be. I'm guessing lacrosse. If so, here's an article I found by Googling. Personally, I don't know anyone who has played it. And certainly don't know which schools are best. I guess it started getting popular after I got out of school.

Lacrosse growing at high school level in Cincinnati - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports

Is that your main concern about moving?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I'm guessing the larger public high schools would be able to field a team, and the Catholic high schools as well.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
It does appear lax is a short term for lacrosse in addition to the Los Angeles International Airport.

Lacrosse is becoming more popular in this area, and I believe particularly among girls. But has it supplanted field hockey as the game of the day? I don't know. Contact wherever you are considering moving and inquire what their involvement in lacrosse is. Don't want to lead you wrong.

Do an internet search on lacrosse in Cincinnati to determine what leagues are active and schools who participate.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:03 AM

224 posts, read 377,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
Thinking of moving from SW CT to Cincinnati for great new job but worried about my kids making the transition? They are big in lax; what are the schools, programs like out there?
SailCT (soon to be SailOH?), lacrosse is still a young sport in Ohio so you should expect to see a dropoff in the level of play from the northeast to here.

My daughter played goalie for Lebanon (a so-so team) through graduation in 2010, and at that time Mason was the powerhouse hereabouts for girl's lacrosse and Sycamore, Summit Country Day and Indian Hill had very good teams too.

Welcome in advance, and let us know how it goes for you if you make the move.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Since no one has provided much information, here is a link to the Ohio Schoolgirls Lacross Association which seams to be the organization sanctioning lacrosse in Ohio:

http://oslaonline.com/yahoo_site_adm...3.42140609.pdf

The listing provides you with all the schools in Ohio that offer lacrosse and an email for their head coach. Just glancing through the list, it seams that lacrosse is pretty much limited to suburban high schools, Catholic high schools, and independent private high schools and academies.

Lacrosse is not a sport that is sanctions by the Ohio High School Athletic Association. I found no references to Lacrosse on their website.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Since no one has provided much information, here is a link to the Ohio Schoolgirls Lacross Association which seams to be the organization sanctioning lacrosse in Ohio:

http://oslaonline.com/yahoo_site_adm...3.42140609.pdf

The listing provides you with all the schools in Ohio that offer lacrosse and an email for their head coach. Just glancing through the list, it seams that lacrosse is pretty much limited to suburban high schools, Catholic high schools, and independent private high schools and academies.

Lacrosse is not a sport that is sanctions by the Ohio High School Athletic Association. I found no references to Lacrosse on their website.

Hope that helps.
That is good info. I did not think Lacrosse was a significant sport in Ohio, girls or boys. But I did not want to turn the OP off by misinformation. Appears to be growing in this area and hopefully will not be a major detriment to their deciding to relocate here. Perhaps their kids can be the stars of the local teams.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM

908 posts, read 1,419,366 times
I knew it wasn't OHSAA sanctioned like the major sports were, but I'm glad someone is playing it.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM

254 posts, read 983,414 times
Sycamore and walnut hills, excellent schools, both have lacrosse.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:23 PM

205 posts, read 984,855 times
My understanding is that Lax competes heavily in this area with curling so I would suggest that you look into a HS that does not have access to ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati