Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 AM

116 posts, read 304,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctheel View Post
Bond Hill School demolished?? Anything saved that you know of? What will replace it?
I have not been there, but the news reported that the original front door facade was kept and new school built around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,646 times
Wow, reading this string has taken me all the way back to my earlier years of growing up in Cincinnati. I grew up in North Avondale went to NA elementary then on to Woodward, class of 70. afterwhich UC/XU then to Boston U for grad. Had many a friend that went to what we called our sister school, Walnut Hills. I remember skipping school and attending classes with my friends at Walnut Hills and them doing the same at Woodward. Remember going to Avon Fields Golf course when it had many hills. The 18th fairway which ran along Reading Rd was the longest. Hey i just remembered at Swifton there was a Pasquale's downstairs, great hogies. By the way the record store was Neumarks Melody Shops, plural because they had stores in Tri County, Kenwood shopping centers. I worked in the Swifton store from 1968 until 1970.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 PM

526 posts, read 1,482,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhiudt View Post
Does anyone remember Betty Tessel who ran the downstairs department at Gentry?
Wow I am impressed that you remebered her! She was a cousin of mine. She passed a couple of years ago.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 PM

133 posts, read 691,430 times
The hills of Avon Fields golf course...Used to love sled riding there. The best one was on Paddock Rd. Also, it seems like there was hill up to the club house on Reading. Once, when playing golf there I slipped and fell down the hill and broke my wrist.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:10 PM

205 posts, read 984,717 times
Default Kenwood Plaza

Kenwood Plaza, anyone?

It may have been talked about pages ago but I don't think so.

We could start with Pogues on the right and the clothiers (what was the name) on the left as you drove in off of Kenwood Rd.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:40 PM

143 posts, read 393,873 times
Default Swifton

I just stumbled upon this and excitedly read pages of posts. I came into Swifton a little later, from the 60s to mid-70s. I lived in a townhouse on Rhode Island Avenue and went to Swifton Primary. Both my parents also lived in the Village as teenagers in the 50s/60s and graduated from Woodrow in the early 60s. My mother remembers going to Swifton Center's opening. My grandmother said that some of the Reds lived there during the 50s, one name was famous, but now I can't remember it. Maybe a coach?

Most of my memories are from the 1970s. I loved the pool that overlooked the center. I guess the pool was built later, but it was the greatest. I was there eveyday it was open. And I also spent a lot of time at the shopping center. I remember some of the places you all are remembering from the 50s. GC Murphy's was like those little cars dozens of clowns pop out of. I can't for the life of me figure out how they crammed so much stuff in it. I liked hanging out in the pet store downstairs and shopping for candy upstairs. I bought my first nail polish and record there (Elton John). And I have a photo from the photo booth! I must have been three or four (my mom was with me). The Honeycomb was definitely still there in the early 70s, I got the cotton candy all the time. But I think they closed during the decade. I remember a green stamp store on the lower level, and a beauty shop. And Pasqueles! I remembered after we moved, for several years I couldn't figure out why pizza never tasted right again. I also remember Kroeger's and a deparment store called Mayco? Wasn't Owen Mills photography also there? I also liked the post office kiosk that was in the middle of parking lot. It had a scale in it, and I used to go there and weigh random things.

I also hung out at the pony keg, as well as the Garden's ice skating rink, and the Sam Hern's across the street. The pony keg sold great hot ham and cheese sandwiches. In the summer the kids used to go up there and we were allowed into the walk-in cooler to get pop. We would be barefoot and the cold cement floor felt delicious.

I left Ohio many years ago. I went back several years ago and drove to Swifton for old times sake, knowing nothing about its history for the last couple of decades. The entire place was boarded up. I was shocked. The shopping center was almost a ghost town. I'd love to see pictures of the place in the old days. Middle age makes you really sentimental. And does anyone remember Swifton Commons? Was that another name for the village or the center?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 AM

25 posts, read 140,056 times
Many of the Reds lived in Swifton Village in the late 50's and 60's; Wally Post, Jerry Lynch, I think Don Blasingame (prior to Pete Rose taking over second base). I lived there, but never saw them, although we did get a couple of their photos from whomever answered the door (wife I assumed). Doing cannon balls & flips off the diving board at the pool was great fun! And I agree with you 100% about Pasquales: No other pizza has ever tasted quite like that!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:35 AM

6 posts, read 77,166 times
Default swifty

My Dad worked at Swifton for 10yrs. and I was there every chance I got.Does anyone remember "Swifty" a young woman dressed sort of like tinkerbell, she passed out fliers or candy I cant recall.I was very small then,my Dad started there in 1960 when I was 5 yrs. old. I loved to go there it was such a thrill.I learned to drive in the company pickup truck,in the tunnel.Someone said they remember my Dad from when they worked there, his name was Lincoln; he worked in Maintnance.I guess I have been over every inch of Swifton Center with Dad.He even took me up on the roof to do repairs.I went every Sat during school season and every day in the summer.I have enjoyed this blog,it brings back some sweet memories from 1960-1970.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,354 times
looking for a ROLLMANS STORE

Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 AM

76 posts, read 317,273 times
Default Rollman's

Rollman's was the huge department store on the south end of Swifton Shopping Center when Swifton first opened. Then it became Mabley and Carew (or simply Mabley's) and eventually Elder-Beerman. I am not sure how long Rollman's was in existence, but I do remember it was a very elegant store and going there was an adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati