Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM

17,586 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

A Dream of a Park - Coney Island Cincinnati - YouTube

CONEY ISLAND OHIO amusement park, pre-1971 roller coasters - YouTube

Amazing Model is Miniature of Cincinnati's Coney Island Amusement Park - YouTube

Kings Island History - YouTube

Kings Island 1972 - YouTube

The Old Coasters of Kings Island - YouTube

King Cobra POV - Kings Island - YouTube

Kings Island The Bat - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 03:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Some comments worth delivering. When Walt Disney was contemplating Disneyland in California, he sent a team of people to Cincinnati to study Coney Island. He said I want a family oriented park, and from what I hear Coney Island in Cincinnati is among the most successful in that regard. So I want to learn what they do and why they do it.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:22 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
The eight summers I worked running rides at Kings Island were the happiest years of my life, best job I ever had.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The eight summers I worked running rides at Kings Island were the happiest years of my life, best job I ever had.
We live within two miles of KI. Our two youngest had summer jobs there for several years, mostly in concession stands. Since they kept going back I assume they liked it too. This was before KI had their own water park. We bought the kids season passes to The Beach, and on the days they were not working at KI they lived at The Beach.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
I was there from 1981-1988, can remember the beach being built, just not exactly when.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
^ If you've not seen the movies "Adventureland" and "The Way Way Back" you're in for a treat. They really evoke the feel of old-school amusement parks, arguably more on the scale of LeSourdsville/Americana but fun nonetheless.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 AM

The exerpt on Kings Island History is epecially interestig, though lengthy. Watch it through, you will glad you did. As commented, the main front parking lot at Kings Island is 2/3 the total size of Coney Island.

A HS friend of mine, actually far more than HS we went from 1st to 12th grade together, got the asphalt paving contract for KI. His father and uncle were basically a residential driveway paving operation, owned one small dump truck and a trailer carried roller. He bid on the KI contract and somehow was awarded it. He took the contract and on the basis of it financed a major expansion. It vaulted him from the minor to the big leagues.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 AM

I commented our younger kids lived on their The Beach season passes. It is close enough they rode their bicycles there and back. But I still saw to it we visited Old Coney at least a couple of times a year so they could recognize what a real swimming pool was.

The wife and I visited Coney Island during our college days. Some Saturdays we would be in line waiting for the park to open. After paying the parking fee and the entrance to Sunlite Pool, we basically spent the day in the pool. Late in the day we would shower and dress for an evening at Moonlight Gardens. We would drive the car from the lot near the pool down to the picnic pavilion area. There we would break out our picnic basket and what we had brought to grill for dinner. We often found grills with still plenty of coals to fix our dinner.

Often there were companies who had reserved portions of the picnic areas for their employees, as did the company I worked for. They would set up draft beer dispensers as that was the beverage of the day. By late afternoon those with young children would be leaving and things were thinning out. I would approach them and give the appeal I was a poor college student here with his GF and just looking for a cup of beer. Surprisingly it worked quite often, they were sympathetic souls.

After having our meal, we would go to Moonlight Gardens and spend the evening there.

Again, it was one of the Greatest Date Places, not only in Cincy but the Entire US. I state this based on the fact I was a college student, on a Co-op program, who could not only pay his tuition on his Co-op wages, but take his date to Coney Island for beautiful date weekends. That was the value of Coney Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: