Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 AM

17,597 posts, read 13,372,722 times

Advertisements

Here is an oldie, ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE MEDIA LINKS ON TH LEFT!! I've spent hours on this site

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media...ON_AND_THE_HEY WOODS__Who_Do_You_Think_You_Are/#.U-eleyvOEZg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 12:56 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Here is an oldie, ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE MEDIA LINKS ON TH LEFT!! I've spent hours on this site

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media...ON_AND_THE_HEY WOODS__Who_Do_You_Think_You_Are/#.U-eleyvOEZg
Once I got the link put together with a little copy and pasting, it was an interesting recording.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Once I got the link put together with a little copy and pasting, it was an interesting recording.
While the recording was interesting, It is probably about 50 years out of tune with my era, (Elvis). Yea at least 50 years. So let us just acknowledge our eras are not compatible. That is probable why our views on this forum have some disagreement.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:04 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,887 times
Quote:
While the recording was interesting, It is probably about 50 years out of tune with my era, (Elvis). Yea at least 50 years. So let us just acknowledge our eras are not compatible. That is probable why our views on this forum have some disagreement.
Were/are you much of a Beach Boys or Beatles fan?

Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:

All I did was post a link to a Cincinnati group. I don't understand your views on disagreement

Old 08-10-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Were/are you much of a Beach Boys or Beatles fan?
I definitely liked the Beach Boys. The Beatles had good harmony but seemed to me like a collection of individuals rather than a group. They sang like a group but could go off on their own also.

I was much more in tune with the individuals who performed in Elvis's era, such as Carl Perkins, same record studio. Added to that are Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper. These people I definitely related to.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:44 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,887 times
Quote:
I definitely liked the Beach Boys. The Beatles had good harmony but seemed to me like a collection of individuals rather than a group. They sang like a group but could go off on their own also.

I was much more in tune with the individuals who performed in Elvis's era, such as Carl Perkins, same record studio. Added to that are Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper. These people I definitely related to.
The Beach Boys are definitely my go to music. To me they are even better than the Beatles, especially since the Smile Sessions have been released.

There is some stuff I like from the 50s, mostly Elvis, along with a few other songs here and there. 60s music is much more to my liking though. Although I also love listening to Frank Sinatra.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
All I did was post a link to a Cincinnati group. I don't understand your views on disagreement
I agree it is a Cincinnati group and a large one at that. Must have been hard earning a living for a group that large. Never heard of the group and never heard of the record label. But there are a lot of things I never heard of.

Far as Cincinnati goes the only record label I associate with it is King, since that is where James Brown recorded a lot of his early stuff. Back then compared to RCA, Columbia, etc. King was a pint sized operation. But they had some notable artists record for them. James Brown was an unknown but was quickly taken notice of.

It somewhat parallels Elvis' tenure with Sun Records in Memphis. He actually recorded 24 songs for Sun, of which 10 were released as his first 5 singles. A year after leaving Sun for RCA Elvis was back there for a visit. A spontaneous informal session with Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee Lewis when visiting the Sun studio was recorded on December 4, 1956, and dubbed the Million Dollar Quartet by the local paper the next day. It was not a formal recording session, they basically just left the mic on. It is abut the only thing I don't have in my collection of Elvis material.

My memory of Elvis dates to the release of his first album with RCA. Among the tracks was Heatbreak Hotel. This song catapulted him into the big time. I still have my 45 copy of the song along with about 30 to 40 more. Yes, I was a big Elvis fan. I recognized his increased involvement with drugs and it saddened me. When he passed away from what I considered an overdose, it was a dreary day indeed. How can you have the world by the tail and then act like that? Makes me glad I was never rich.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 AM

172 posts, read 254,918 times
Quote:

Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods .....wow ....... that goes back about 45-50 years. They used to play at many of the local places around Cincy in the '60s / 70s.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
Since it seems that the celebration is of bygone local music acts, I submit Pure Prairie League!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4xp2lgiAjY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: