Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 09:02 PM

24 posts, read 33,033 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Starting a new thread. My family and I are most likely moving to Glendale within the next 2 months or so. We will be looking for child care in the area. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, we are still somewhat unfamiliar with the area so please post any and all recommendations on restaurants, watering holes, activities (especially outdoors activities like parks, trails, hiking spots, ponds/lakes, etc) and anything else that's nearby that we should check out. Looking forward to getting to know a new part of town.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 09:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
First thing I'd do is make a beeline for Winton Woods. It's an awesome park! That and Sharon Woods. Can't go there without renting a Paddle boat, and the kids will love both the Pioneer stuff and the play area / natural science museum in the visitors center.

Otherwise, I mentioned the Grand Finale in you other thread, which will probably become your "place". The Tri-County Mall is close, and BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse (a chain) is decent. IKEA is not too much further up the pike, personally I'm a huge fan of their cafeteria - I eat there any chance I can. Some people love the Red Fox, it might be worth a visit for a brunch place. Also you definitely need to go to Izzy's Corned Beef and Penn Station for heavier duty but delicious sandwiches and subs.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:08 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,606 times
Oxford, home of Miami University and Hueston Foods, is a fun weekend trip. It's approx. 45 mins from Glendale...but it's a fun town to walk around. Took the family up there a couple weeks ago, and my son and I walked onto the football field and threw the ball around for awhile. Big thrill for the little guy. Cabins can be rented for dirt cheap at Hueston Woods.

And as another poster mentioned, Sharon Woods, is a first class park, and is right next door to Glendale. Fabulous golf course.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:24 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,492 times
Having multi-generational roots in Glendale-Springdale, here are my thoughts.

First, congrats on your purchase. The grand homes of Glendale are a treasure and you are lucky to have one.

There are a few places to wet your whistle in Glendale. To begin with, across the street from the aforementioned Grand Finale (a place long in tooth and past its prime, in my opinion, although the desserts and Sunday brunch are still good) is the venerable Friendly Stop. Lots of character and a decent selection of bar food, and great for a cheap beer or two. It has a strong local following, and only recently started accepting credit cards!

Cokc (misspelled because CD won't accept dirty words) & Bull's Glendale location is the best of the three, I think. Great beer selection and the fish and chips is as good as any in town.

Century Inn, situated on the edge of the Village as you head into Woodlawn has been around for generations. Over the years, it's had its ups and downs, and some of the charm it had when I was growing up has been lost as the restaurant has changed hands several times over the last decade or so. But, they've added a big deck out back, and have lots of entertainment in the summer time.

There's been a couple of restaurants that have tried and failed multiple times in the Village Square. The former Iron Horse restaurant is situated just behind Cokc & Bull. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is anything operating in there now or not.

Finally, on the north end of the Village, but still on Congress Ave, is Meritage. I have not been there, but it's been in operation for a few years now. The building it is in was a former rough and tumble saloon called Bud Stewart's, but now is an upscale dining establishment.

For parks, I recommend Sharon Woods over Winton Woods. It's just my personal opinion. Sharon Woods is older and has more character, particularly with the historic Sharon Woods Village.

It's a good thing you allowed in the other thread that private schools were ok with you. Glendale Elementary is not what it used to be. I was told by a Princeton City Schools administrator that only 15% of the kids in the elementary are actually from the Village, and the low ratings the school gets are largely attributable to a growing language gap problem. St. Gabriel's school at Sharon and Congress provides a well regarded alternative if you want to stay in the Village.

Finally, check out the Lyceum on Congress Avenue. It's the center of a lot of the social life for Village residents, something of a country club.

You'll enjoy Glendale, I think. Throughout the year they have a number of events in the Village that make life there very unique. There's a local pride in Glendale that doesn't exist in many other neighborhoods. Be on the look out for the black squirrels!

Old 04-20-2015, 06:24 AM

410 posts, read 587,338 times
As your child gets a bit older check out the Wyoming Fine Arts Center for a huge selection of programs & classes.
Cincinnati Music Lessons | Art Classes | Summer Camps | Wyoming Fine Arts Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati