Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 11,852 times

Advertisements

Hello hello!

I was looking on Zillow and noticed that East Price Hill seems to have, by far, the highest percentage when it comes to estimated house values for the future. Cincinnati as a whole is in the 2% range, while East Price Hill is at a whopping 5.1%.

What is your opinion? Do you agree? Is the incline district the new OTR?

Do you believe purchasing homes in EPH is a smart move right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:13 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
How risk-averse are you?

Cincinnati has no shortage of neighborhoods that could "go either way." I think an equivalent if not preferable place to cast one's lot would be Evanston. Xavier University has invested heavily in expanding their campus eastward along Dana Ave. "Office parks" are sprouting along I-71. A crime magnet apartment complex has been demolished (though "things" are still going on in the vicinity, where Gilbert Ave transitions into Montgomery Rd in a couple of curves.) Gentrification is creeping outward from East Walnut Hills, albeit at a slow pace. 71 acts as an effective physical and psychological barrier against the eastern reaches of Avondale, which is north of where it crosses Victory Parkway.

For housing, Evanston has a treasure trove of large roomy 2 1/2 story "four-square" houses. They're constructed solidly of brick and feature expansive porches as well as - often - at least one rectangular stained-glass window. Right now such dwellings are going for the proverbial song, as little as $18,000 even with original interior woodwork intact. Mainly this is due to the crime rate's remaining stubbornly high, although there are "pockets" such as the St Leger Place area which skew the statistics.
It's all about "location, location, location" though. With XU sinking more and deeper roots immediately to the north, employers clustering along the expressway, and - let's not forget - Walnut Hills High School anchoring the neighborhood's southern flank, a long-term investment in Evanston could very well pay off handsomely.

"East" Price Hill is no farther from downtown than it's been since its inception. But only one high-rise apartment building has ever gone up thereabouts. Compare that to Madison Rd and around Eden Park, as well as along the riverfront on both sides. Other than some ambitious though small-scale house renovations (go Price Hill Will go) there's scant evidence of "urban pioneering." A restaurant called Bayou Fish didn't last two years. "No 'count hillbillies," politely referred to as Appalachians mired in poverty, are still prevalent in the community. In more recent decades they've been joined by Hispanics and Blacks who are at the same station in life. In contrast to Evanston - well over 90% AA - EPH can boast of some ethnic diversity. But if you're afraid to go outside at night and are forced to drive in order to so much as buy groceries, what difference does that make?

Personally, unless fate is very unkind indeed I don't foresee making a return to Cincinnati to live permanently. But sh-t happens in life. So I regularly peruse realtors' Websites to be tempted by home prices astonishingly lower than they are where I live at present. (I know those prices are the carrot, and the stick is far higher taxes as well as the fact that the houses are in Cincinnati, though.) On days when I visualize risk-taking I'm drawn by some of the distinctive and well-kept houses in much-maligned Roselawn. It's a lot like Evanston in that the pale-complected are not present in large numbers, though varying sources put the percentage at anywhere from 8 to 17. Crime is also a major problem - though here again there are "pockets" which throw the stats off kilter. The CPS schools in the neighborhood are terrible, but since I'm childless that matters little. What is significant to note is the amount of redevelopment going on from the ground up very close by (specifically along Seymour Ave.) Two of the "no tell motels" along Reading Rd which had declined into dens of iniquity have been shut down, though their sitting vacant isn't helping aesthetics much. An early shopping mall which went through several name changes that included "Swifton" before becoming Jordan Crossing has now bitten the dust. "Office/restaurant/retail" is on the drawing board. So my eyes would light on Roselawn if I end up having to become a "boomeranger" (someone who leaves their home town but then eventually "boomerangs" back.) That is, unless I'm visualizing a comparatively problem-free part of town.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:58 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Who can say? Maybe? There are some interesting opportunities throughout the west side, but I certainly wouldn't bet the farm.

If you can't live with what EPH is, today, you'll drive yourself crazy waiting and wishing.

If I was a risk-taker, I'd be looking around mcmicken.

Goygoy, with the chip on your shoulder about, and the size of, Cincinnati, we both know that you would fit right back in

Old 04-29-2015, 06:21 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Price Hill:

Pros- tremendous potential for growth
- plenty of fixer uppers
-proximity to downtown/uptown

Cons-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl71FWsmjYc

Old 04-29-2015, 03:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Price Hill:

Pros- tremendous potential for growth
- plenty of fixer uppers
-proximity to downtown/uptown

Cons-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl71FWsmjYc

HAHAHAHA!!!!! PRICE-less!!!!

Old 04-29-2015, 06:57 PM

Where would we be without "Christian" schools? LOL

Old 04-30-2015, 07:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
The Incline district definitely has a lot of potential. With the new theatre that should boost the area even more. It's still in the very early stages of redevelopment, though. I wouldn't invest any anything west of Grand at this time (I suppose that's not the Incline district anyway).

Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 AM

Am Lux, as a west-sider you'd know best. How far west should somebody go before Price Hill is considered "good" now? I've heard St Lawrence Corner but without a personal windshield tour I'm not about to quote that.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:48 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Am Lux, as a west-sider you'd know best. How far west should somebody go before Price Hill is considered "good" now? I've heard St Lawrence Corner but without a personal windshield tour I'm not about to quote that.
You have to find the happy medium between the random street violence of price hill and the anti-government terrorists of green township. so....maybe westwood?

Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 PM

213 posts, read 674,840 times
Yes, IMO East Price Hill is on the upswing. That area has an absolute ton of potential just based on proximity to downtown and the views alone. As a long time west-sider there is no doubt EPH has improved some over the last several years. My family never used to spend time in that area, now we go to EPH and the Incline District at least 2-3 times a month whether it to be to the Incline House, the coffee shop in the area, or just to relax in the park there and see the views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati