Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:40 PM

3,867 posts, read 3,144,484 times

Advertisements

The suburbs main function is to serve as a giant nursery for underage minors. That is why suburbs are so pedestrian unfriendly as to limit freedom of movement for underage minors. The cul-de-sac street design, no sidewalks, and lack of mass transit keeps underage minors limited in things they can do without the support of an adult to ferry them to the desired destination. Based on this the northern suburbs will always be desirable to the parents with minors demographic group because the car dependence aspect of suburbs serves the same function as the fence or gate in a gated community giving parents a sense of safety. Image as a teen stuck in a sterile boring environment in all aspects not that far removed from rural living and you can see why the cities perceived to be happening are getting overran by young adults once they get the chance to escape. The northern suburbs will not be desirable to young adults, child free adults and to some empty nesters as they will not have the same incentive as parents of minors to tolerate pedestrian unfriendliness, traffic congestion, long commute times to work, non existent street vibrancy and dependency on cars for the minutest daily need.

Last edited by Coseau; 06-03-2015 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 12:09 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swessel4 View Post
There's no doubt that butler/warren county have kind of evolved into their own self-perpuating world nearly liberated from Cincinnati.
They have always been "liberated" from Cincinnati and always will be. Believe it or not we have our own county commissioners, our own county sheriffs, etc. Local autonomy - what a concept.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
The suburbs main function is to serve as a giant nursery for underage minors. That is why suburbs are so pedestrian unfriendly as to limit freedom of movement for underage minors. The cul-de-sac street design, no sidewalks, and lack of mass transit keeps underage minors limited in things they can do without the support of an adult to ferry them to the desired destination. Based on this the northern suburbs will always be desirable to the parents with minors demographic group because the car dependence aspect of suburbs serves the same function as the fence or gate in a gated community giving parents a sense of safety. Imagine as a teen stuck in a sterile boring environment in all aspects not that far removed from rural living and you can see why the cities perceived to be happening are getting overran by young adults once they get the chance to escape. The northern suburbs will not be desirable to young adults, child free adults and to some empty nesters as they will not have the same incentive as parents of minors to tolerate pedestrian unfriendliness, traffic congestion, long commute times to work, non existent street vibrancy and dependency on cars for the minutest daily need.
Typo. Image was meant to be imagine.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:20 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Its a toss up but I am having less and less faith everyday that Cincinnati can govern itself in a responsible way.

If you are really interested in studying this long term , look for growth in 'small towns' within striking distance of the city and suburban cores as there seems to be a movement by more and more to head to "small town USA" and do a longer commute to their city or suburban destination.
Having compared Cincinnati's 9-member-at-large-full-time-plus-a-meddling-mayor system to other cities, well, it's pretty strange. And it's hard to argue that is effective and impossible to argue that it is efficient.

Your second point is interesting. I find places like Newtown, Milford, and the like to be very appealing. I do think the high traffic on the main roads, which is also where all of the interesting buildings and business districts are, does keep these places from truly feeling like small towns.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 AM

800 posts, read 781,212 times
RC is right. Cincy is really at a make or break point. Of all the factors that may derail everything I have no doubt that a city government under Cranley will be the most likely culprit. Such a shame as there is no reason with our history and architecture we can't evolve into a modern, cosmopolitan city like Portland.

This development will impact the outer ring, but won't be the only factor. Mason will always be fine thanks to it's corporate tax base. The others are relying on the dangerous relationship between tea party politics and continued exponential growth. Expect problems in the communities outside of Mason in the next 10 years as this relationship inevitably sours.

I would agree that these areas are independent of Cincy in almost all respects. Mason is the hub do it will interesting to see how Mason reacts if the areas around it falter.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
The suburbs main function is to serve as a giant nursery for underage minors. That is why suburbs are so pedestrian unfriendly as to limit freedom of movement for underage minors. The cul-de-sac street design, no sidewalks, and lack of mass transit keeps underage minors limited in things they can do without the support of an adult to ferry them to the desired destination. Based on this the northern suburbs will always be desirable to the parents with minors demographic group because the car dependence aspect of suburbs serves the same function as the fence or gate in a gated community giving parents a sense of safety. Image as a teen stuck in a sterile boring environment in all aspects not that far removed from rural living and you can see why the cities perceived to be happening are getting overran by young adults once they get the chance to escape. The northern suburbs will not be desirable to young adults, child free adults and to some empty nesters as they will not have the same incentive as parents of minors to tolerate pedestrian unfriendliness, traffic congestion, long commute times to work, non existent street vibrancy and dependency on cars for the minutest daily need.
"A nursery for minors." That's a new phrase to me, but it speaks to what bothers me the most about not Cincinnati per se, but nearly every american city. We are just so freaking segregated. Single? Oh, you should live here. Married but no kids? Oh, you live over here. Married with kids? Oh, you definitely belong over here? Old? White? Black? Poor? Rich? You belong, here, here, and here.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
"A nursery for minors." That's a new phrase to me, but it speaks to what bothers me the most about not Cincinnati per se, but nearly every american city. We are just so freaking segregated. Single? Oh, you should live here. Married but no kids? Oh, you live over here. Married with kids? Oh, you definitely belong over here? Old? White? Black? Poor? Rich? You belong, here, here, and here.
^^^^^I definitely agree with you.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 11,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
They have always been "liberated" from Cincinnati and always will be. Believe it or not we have our own county commissioners, our own county sheriffs, etc. Local autonomy - what a concept.
Administratively autonomous for sure, but economically only until recently and only in a limited capacity. They were initially developed for their dependence on the city, the classic bedroom communities and garden cities. Only recently have they been "liberated" from the city as job and retail centers.

My point is that present suburbs are modeled on a form that's been in existence for 70 years, going back to the original levittowns. These were not intended as places of work. So now we're stuck with an awkward hybrid of urban issues with suburban forms. Trying to solve the problems of the city by merely spreading them out and planting grass can only function for so long. To me either the suburbs need become more "suburban" in sense of providing better natural environment in an industrial economy and having closer ties to agriculture, or they reformulate into transit-oriented nodes which will require massive transformation of infrastructure, businesses, economy; we will essentially have to build from the ground up to provide transit-oriented development. If people want the lawns and two car garages and what not that's fine. But now that people are now relocating to the suburbs to find work, which includes non-families, perhaps more low-income options should be offered other than living in a subdivision or isolated condominium complex.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Administratively autonomous for sure, but economically only until recently and only in a limited capacity. They were initially developed for their dependence on the city, the classic bedroom communities and garden cities. Only recently have they been "liberated" from the city as job and retail centers.
We had our own job centers back in the 1960s and 70s, they were the farms where the McMansions and strip malls are now.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:00 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:

My point is that present suburbs are modeled on a form that's been in existence for 70 years, going back to the original levittowns. These were not intended as places of work. So now we're stuck with an awkward hybrid of urban issues with suburban forms. Trying to solve the problems of the city by merely spreading them out and planting grass can only function for so long. To me either the suburbs need become more "suburban" in sense of providing better natural environment in an industrial economy and having closer ties to agriculture, or they reformulate into transit-oriented nodes which will require massive transformation of infrastructure, businesses, economy; we will essentially have to build from the ground up to provide transit-oriented development. If people want the lawns and two car garages and what not that's fine. But now that people are now relocating to the suburbs to find work, which includes non-families, perhaps more low-income options should be offered other than living in a subdivision or isolated condominium complex.
Twenty or 30 years ago when this general topic had bearing on the work I did, I remember reading a book called "Edge Cities." I don't remember a lot about it, but I think it might address some of the issues you're asking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati