Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,436 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are new transplants to Cincy with 4 kids. We have a very meager budget- we are a blue collar family who has two parents going back to college and working to make ends meet. We can afford $125,000 with no risk of being house broke or stressed while both of us work through four more years of college. We plan on buying an older home and fixing it up- sweat equity is no problem with us.

I know all the great districts- Sycamore, Indian Hill, Mason, Madeira, Mariemont, Wyoming, yadda yadda yadda... Hubby works downtown, we have always lived rurally or in the suburbs and commuted, and we are considering moving into Cincinnati proper to cut commutes, save gas, and have more family time, as well as enjoy the amenities of the city since we have never lived within an hour of restaurants, museums, etc.

We have kids in elementary, but next year that will change to middle school as well. I understand Kilgour is great but we are on no Hyde Park budget. If you've got a neighborhood school you love, let me know! We don't have the budget for private. We are considering moving out into Forest Hills schools/Anderson, or buying a fixer upper in Sycamore schools. I thought I would try my hand at asking about CPS for specific schools you like, though- I know some people aren't keen on CPS but I'm sure there are some gems.

Edited to add: I understand about applying for magnet schools; however, this is for moving in the middle of the school year (we are talking in the next 2 months) so it has to be a decent neighborhood school; I can't bank on a magnet since there are no openings currently.

Last edited by moli.meanderers; 12-05-2016 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 01:15 PM

610 posts, read 797,740 times
Beyond Kilgour and Hyde Park elementary and all the magnets the best elementary schools in CPS would be (in no specific order)...

Pleasant Ridge Montessori
Covedale
College Hill
Hartwell
Mount Washington
North Avondale

Before buying make sure you check CPS website with your address to make sure it's part of the school you want it to be.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:33 PM

649 posts, read 817,248 times
The problem with CPS for you is that the elementary schools go to 6th grade because the magnet high school starts at 7th grade, so there really isn't a "good" middle school. All of the "good" students are in the magnet HS by what most would consider middle school.

That would be a rather dramatic and transition from the suburbs to an overcrowded high pressure magnet city high school.

I think you have plenty of budget to find a fixer in Forest Hills as your best bet.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
I'm no expert on this topic, but I've seen a lot of discussion on this forum over the years. I agree on the advice about Forest Hills. As for the list above of CPS schools, I would avoid College Hill. I live in the general area, and there are some serious problems in the community that I suspect bleed over into the school. One of the adjoining streets is a magnet for drug dealing, for example. I also believe I read last year that Hartwell had won some kind of top ranking as a neighborhood school. There should be plenty of homes in that area in your price range.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:14 AM

410 posts, read 587,338 times
How old/ what grades are your children currently?

Hyde Park School is also very good. The boundries actually have much more than the Hyde Park neighborhood. It includes Oakley & some of Evanston.

As stated above CPS grade schools only go until the sixth grade. After that your goal would be to send your child to one of the better CPS high schools - Walnut Hills, SCPA, Dater High School. All CPS high schools are open to all neighborhoods in the CPS school district.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:52 AM

610 posts, read 797,740 times
It appears I was wrong on North Avondale, it's a magnet. The only neighborhood Montessori is Pleasant Ridge. All the others are magnets. If you chose Pleasant Ridge your children would automatically (or at least get preferential treatment) to getting into Clark Montessori High School. A highly rated school. Your price range would fit too.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:58 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
We were in CPS and not in a good one... (we homeschool but the district wasnt great) IF i had to pick off that list, in no special order, Hyde Park or PR, hands down.

A lot of districts are doing away with middle school. Milford did it just after i graduated, there were 4 grade schools K-4 and then the ONE middle school 5-6, then Jr High, then high...now everyone is shoved in 7 grade schools PK-6, then Jr, then high.
We are in Norwood ( again homeschooled) and they have no middle school. All shoved in grade school.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:57 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,056,551 times
Just curious - If you assumed they needed to be within 20 minutes of downtown (let's say up to 30 minutes max during rush hour), would the OP have any viable options in Kentucky given their budget and above average public school wishes?

Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Just curious - If you assumed they needed to be within 20 minutes of downtown (let's say up to 30 minutes max during rush hour), would the OP have any viable options in Kentucky given their budget and above average public school wishes?
Beechwood, which serves Ft. Mitchell.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:24 PM

27 posts, read 28,247 times
I'm a fourth-generation graduate of CPS schools (including three generations of Walnut Hills graduates). My two cents for the OP:

Elementary
- Covedale
- Mt. Washington
- Hartwell
- Pleasant Ridge Montessori

All four of these schools have pretty high numbers of students who pass the Walnut Hills test (for neighborhood schools, a great indication of the quality of teaching). Additionally, if your child is even slightly identified as "gifted" (basically above average), they qualify for the College Prep Magnet programs at Covedale and Mt. Washington where they receive extra enrichment, prep for the Walnut Hills test, and they take Latin in the 5th and 6th grades (a huge advantage).

Lastly, I agree with what one of the other posters mentioned about Hyde Park Elementary. There's no way you're getting into Kilgour with how much you want to spend. However, look at the edges of Evanston/O'Byronville or Oakley. You might find some houses that meet your budget that might be in the attendance zone for the school.

High Schools (CPS doesn't have neighborhood high schools anymore. All high schools are open enrollment, selective enrollment, and/or audition based.
- Dater
- Clark Montessori
- SCPA
- Walnut Hills

Truth be told, the WH Test is NOT as difficult as people make it out to be. If your student fails it, then they can study and take it again. Honestly, any student performing at grade level can pass the test if they study.

Dater is also a severely underrated school (not just the SCPP aspect). Lastly, I've heard great things about Gamble Montessori. Maybe in 10 years it'll be good as Clark. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: