Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times

Advertisements

I'm just interested in the general online presence of the participants here.

Do I have a blog? Yes, in fact two, but not in City-Data and I'm not looking for followers so never mind where they are.

Do I frequent social media? Yes, a big one, but I'm not looking for contacts there, either. Some people use several.

Where do I look for news? Online (not television or print).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 05:07 PM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Blog. Yes. On my own website.

Social Media. If you mean Facebook or something similar, then no. No interest in it.

News. Listen to the radio, watch some local news on TV and find much online. Read the Enquirer on Sunday only.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Blog. Yes. On my own website.

Social Media. If you mean Facebook or something similar, then no. No interest in it.

News. Listen to the radio, watch some local news on TV and find much online. Read the Enquirer on Sunday only.
Thank you!

Apparently no one else wants to commit themselves to being with anything -- 100 million blogs out there, and no one else here has one, social media is quoted in "official" news reports and no one else's connected to any, people quote news reports but don't want to say what they actually follow....

(Interesting.)

Old 08-05-2017, 08:22 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Thank you!

Apparently no one else wants to commit themselves to being with anything -- 100 million blogs out there, and no one else here has one, social media is quoted in "official" news reports and no one else's connected to any, people quote news reports but don't want to say what they actually follow....

(Interesting.)
I stay away from Social Media like Twitter, Facebook etc. Had a Myspace page for a while but decided to get rid of it. Waste of time. I'm not interested in "followers" or phony friends. I think most of that is for egotistical people that have to be the center of attention and due to their insecurities about who or what they are, they try to get more popular via online social media. I have a few good friends and family and they are "adequate" for my needs. :-)

It could be the people that chose to read your post don't have any online presence in the form of a Blog or Social media. But I am certain everyone does use one form of media during the week whether it be TV, Radio or newsprint or the internet. Not sure why they don't want to respond though.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:23 AM

245 posts, read 333,100 times
Blog,,NO. I hate to type
Social Media..YES Face Book, several groups.
News..All types. Mainly on line.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
Blog,,NO. I hate to type
Social Media..YES Face Book, several groups.
News..All types. Mainly on line.
Thank you! Always nice to have a couple of replies to something.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:29 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Hi CP, I'll reply!

Forums:
Since I graduated I don't use forums much at all, if ever, just because my job took up all of my waking hours and expended my energy.
I am moving into a new role at a new company back in the Dayton area, which I'm really excited about so I'm looking to actually be involved in the community, and on here, again.

Otherwise, I enjoy using Reddit and Urban Ohio. Please don't censor that, both are complimentary to C-D, not direct competitors.

Blogs:
I used to read Esrati's blog, but after he went on his school board tandem (tantrum?) I stopped.
With the rise of social media, a lot of other blogs have dried up, which has caused me to not follow those either.
I might start a blog once I get into this new job, we will see, but probably it'll be used as a mechanism to build the company's customer network. If I really have some time/energy I might start an urban blog on the Dayton area.

Other than that, I really like Thought Catalog.

Social Media:
At the moment my favorite social media is Snapchat. As a 26 year old male, it does by far the best job of any social platform of delivering relevant content to me. The friends that I want to keep in contact post there, and the friends I don't want to see I can easily skip. The "news" stories, or lack thereof, make my day as well (I really like the stories from Comedy Central and Brother, but I'll admit I check out the foodie stories, Cosmo, etc. too for fun). I post something there maybe once a week.

I have a Facebook that I only check if I am stressed (which has been frequent over the past couple years) and I never post on it. Normally Facebook makes me more stressed though... probably not a good coping strategy.

I have a Pinterest and I like the idea of it but rarely use it because it feels like "work".
But ironically enough I keep a very active LinkedIn I plan to use for the same purpose and using it does not feel like "work".
In fact, aside from Snapchat, LinkedIn is my favorite social media site/app.

I do NOT have a Twitter, and am proud of it. I can't stand the negativity, there's enough of that on my Facebook.

I'm a guy so I like both Tumblr and Instagram for nefarious / women seeking reasons...

I also keep up some dating app accounts, including Tinder. I enjoy it, and it is a good way to get to know new people. It also introduced me to a nice girl I've been talking to for almost two years now, I'm hoping things will work out once I'm back in Dayton with her (she's in the northern suburbs of Cincy).

Old 08-10-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Hi CP, I'll reply!

Forums:
Since I graduated I don't use forums much at all, if ever, just because my job took up all of my waking hours and expended my energy.
I am moving into a new role at a new company back in the Dayton area, which I'm really excited about so I'm looking to actually be involved in the community, and on here, again.

Otherwise, I enjoy using Reddit and Urban Ohio. Please don't censor that, both are complimentary to C-D, not direct competitors.

Blogs:
I used to read Esrati's blog, but after he went on his school board tandem (tantrum?) I stopped.
With the rise of social media, a lot of other blogs have dried up, which has caused me to not follow those either.
I might start a blog once I get into this new job, we will see, but probably it'll be used as a mechanism to build the company's customer network. If I really have some time/energy I might start an urban blog on the Dayton area.

Other than that, I really like Thought Catalog.

Social Media:
At the moment my favorite social media is Snapchat. As a 26 year old male, it does by far the best job of any social platform of delivering relevant content to me. The friends that I want to keep in contact post there, and the friends I don't want to see I can easily skip. The "news" stories, or lack thereof, make my day as well (I really like the stories from Comedy Central and Brother, but I'll admit I check out the foodie stories, Cosmo, etc. too for fun). I post something there maybe once a week.

I have a Facebook that I only check if I am stressed (which has been frequent over the past couple years) and I never post on it. Normally Facebook makes me more stressed though... probably not a good coping strategy.

I have a Pinterest and I like the idea of it but rarely use it because it feels like "work".
But ironically enough I keep a very active LinkedIn I plan to use for the same purpose and using it does not feel like "work".
In fact, aside from Snapchat, LinkedIn is my favorite social media site/app.

I do NOT have a Twitter, and am proud of it. I can't stand the negativity, there's enough of that on my Facebook.

I'm a guy so I like both Tumblr and Instagram for nefarious / women seeking reasons...

I also keep up some dating app accounts, including Tinder. I enjoy it, and it is a good way to get to know new people. It also introduced me to a nice girl I've been talking to for almost two years now, I'm hoping things will work out once I'm back in Dayton with her (she's in the northern suburbs of Cincy).
Good grief, kid! You're all over the place!

I've never even heard of some of those and have never looked into most of them. Now I know where to ask questions.

(Good luck to you online.)

Old 08-10-2017, 07:29 PM

41 posts, read 39,586 times
Blog: I've had several, currently all are inactive except my "blog" on Tumblr (which is really a blog in name only because of how Tumblr works), but I am going to start one or maybe two soon, one for my professional identity and one for personal.

Social media: Yes.

Tumblr for art/fun and because I've met cool iPals on there. (Edit: and as one user said, it's also good for NSFW "art," at least some genres.)

A very very locked-down Facebook presence for the few friends and family who will not use any other means of communication.

And then a couple ultra-niche decentralized social networks you've never heard of, namely Quitter (a Twitter clone that's part of a "fediverse" which includes the more recent Mastodon) and Diaspora, the flash in the pan "facebook killer" of a number of years back which would never have "killed" facebook regardless, which now serves a very different role more like Tumblr (but more text oriented than image oriented), and which has maintained a userbase of a few tens of thousands of diehard users worldwide.

I've been on twitter and left long ago. It was nothing but fuel for anger, and I don't like Nazis.

I was on Instagram and still maintain a dormant account but the blatant "image crafting" as they call it generally made me want to die whenever I checked it, so I deleted the app after a week. Also, nowadays I won't have any apps owned by FB on my phone, and using Instagram without the app is very difficult.

News: I use an RSS news reader and my bigger subscriptions on there are The Atlantic and Ars Technica. I check the Washington Post, NY Times, and USA Today pretty regularly for updates on the soap opera in DC. Lately I've been slumming again on Google News but I really need to stop as it almost invariably makes my day worse.

Last edited by urbanal; 08-10-2017 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: left something out

Old 08-24-2017, 05:27 PM

This doesn't have to be a bunch of personal stuff, you know....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati