Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:57 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Well, steel-making is a much much cleaner process today than in the past. I'm pretty sure the hundred thousand or so vehicles traversing I-75 produce more pollution than the mill. And believe it or not, blue collar jobs ahre becoming somewhat hip. We can't all work in cubicles.
To an extent. There's only so much that can be done to make the process clean.

No matter what, coal has to be burned, steel has to be formed, cooled, deformed, and everything else. From the power needed to run the presses to the chemicals that are burned off with a fireball of flame, it's a filthy, dirty, gross process. Plain and simple.

My last job was in quality at an auto plant. I agree blue collar jobs can be fun and desirable but who says warehouses, call centers, and light manufacturing isn't blue collar? Heck, there arent that many blue collar industries that even touch the realm of noxiousness of steel manufacturing. It's a rarity.

I'm not saying I want the mill to close, but I don't think Middletown can be prosperous with it.
Which means for you, Mr Investor, you'd be hard pressed to get much of a return on your investment with the mill in town. Because no one wants to live on top of that pollution when so many better options are close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 09:21 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times
Well, I live in Gary, Indiana, between the two largest steel Mills in the nation. And my home has doubled in value in less than 5 years. I'm more concerned with the flood of phamaceutical residue entering the rivers and lakes of the nation than I am from the ever-decreasing effects of steel production.

Anyhow, I'd be investing in downtown, a commercial investment. The downtown, I believe, has the potential to attract visitors from both Cincinnati and Dayton, even if the demand for residential properties remains stable.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Glad to hear your house value has doubled.

I'd agree that pharma residue is a lot more worrisome concern. Not even for the pollution alone, what scares me about it is the increasing resistance bacteria are gaining to these drugs due to over-immunizing people and animals.

What I'm saying is a lot of buyers are looking at the micro picture rather than the macro one. If they want to buy a house for $100k, with Option 1 being Middletown right next to AK or Option 2 being Hamilton, 99% of people would choose the house away from the pollution in Hamilton.

I agree there is potential, Middletown has a decent core. I'm hoping it comes back. It'll be an uphill battle with the mill.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:24 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
I doubt the Mill is a major problem. At one time I lived in Lincoln, Maine which is a Mill Town. Lincoln Pulp and Tissue was the life blood for the community and when business was good and they were hiring the entire town benefited. Sadly, it closed down a few years ago and now the town is hurting both economically and image wise. Logging is still in the area but it does not employe hundreds of people earning a good wage like the Mill. And when you lose a major employer like that it means your property taxes will rise quite a bit and also budget cuts are likely and result in reduced services to the community.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:15 PM

Apparently word is getting out. Advice, the Meatloaf on Mondays is outstanding!

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ing/849204001/

Old 11-17-2017, 04:59 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times
I've driven through there within the last month or two. Basically taking Ohio 4 up from Hamilton to Dayton. I can't say I saw much going on. The thing that made the biggest impression on me was the seedy bars downtown. I hadn't ever been on that stretch of 4. That is one ugly stretch of road.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Seedy bars downtown? Like West Central Wine

https://www.google.com/search?q=west...iw=360&bih=560

Old 11-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Or maybe you were referring to the seedy Canal Pub?

https://www.google.com/search?client...96.4r_lkgVyxAY

Old 11-18-2017, 02:06 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Or maybe you were referring to the seedy Canal Pub?

https://www.google.com/search?client...96.4r_lkgVyxAY
Oh, sure. Quite the nice Downtown you have there.

A couple of empty wine bars do not a happening city make!!!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1511039048

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1511039120
Attached Thumbnails
Downtown Middletown's Gathering Renaissance-middletown-1.jpg   Downtown Middletown's Gathering Renaissance-middletown-2.jpg  

Old 11-18-2017, 02:44 PM

Dozens of new businesses, a renovated Opera house, and new Cincinnati University Campus...people can choose to live in the past orlook towards the future. Your type of person is the yesterday type. I'm the tomorrow type, thank God! Get back to me in a few years...you will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio