Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
People think that Rookwood Commons is in Hyde Park because that is what the developers wanted people to think. Its all designed and marketed that way.

After all, who would think of going to Norwood for an upscale shopping spree?
I agree, including the name chosen. Rookwood of course dates back to the superfluous pottery company which was nowhere close to Madison & Edwards Rds.

So when you lay the name Rookwood on it there is an obvious intent to upgrade the whole scenario. I worked right in the middle of that at LeBlond for over 20 years. It was dirty, dank, and industrial, but we produced some amazing products.

I knew I worked in Norwood, but once I-71 was built there was a disconnect. North of I-71 was defrinitely Norwood. But south of I-71 was kind of a nomans land. I knew I was in Norwood, but it felt more like we were in Hyde Park. We would go out to lunch in Hyde Park, once in a blue moon we might venture over to Norwood. Did you get that? We would venture to Norwood, not feeling like we were already in Norwood. Just the feeling it had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree, including the name chosen. Rookwood of course dates back to the superfluous pottery company which was nowhere close to Madison & Edwards Rds.
Worse than that:

Rookwood is a small but very luxurious cul d' sac subdivision in the heart of Hyde Park, near the Cincinnati Country Club (aka the Triple C Ranch). It is 2 miles as the crow flies south of Rookwood Commons, on the other side of Hyde Park Square.

There was an obvious intent to associate the mall with the most ritzy part of Hyde Park.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
It says on the Rookwood sign Norwood, OH.

ETA: i see someone mentioned that. Its so funny we fight over a shopping area.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 7,674 times
Norwood is a great town and the people here love and are proud of it. We try so hard to build it up and it just seems like everyone just thinks of it as a trashy city when it's not. It's just as nice as oakley and hyde park.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:21 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor2012 View Post
Norwood is a great town and the people here love and are proud of it. We try so hard to build it up and it just seems like everyone just thinks of it as a trashy city when it's not. It's just as nice as oakley and hyde park.
I agree, Norwood often gets a bad rap, but you are reaching with your statement that it is just as nice as Oakley and Hyde Park. Some areas may still share some commonality with the former, but very little with the latter.

Still, your Norwood pride is commendable, and reminds me of the days when Oakley was a name that realtors used to ignore. Oakley was "Hyde Park Near" in the MLS. In the mid 1990s, the Board of Realtors began going after agents for this, and promoted truth in advertising. Hell, I lived in the heart of Oakley in those days and even my listing in the White Pages said Hyde Park.

Just like Rookwood was named to create an upscale appeal, when the Drexel at Oakley was built across from the Hyde Park Plaza (which is in Oakley), a condition imposed on the development by the community council was that it could not be named Hyde Park anything. The developer, Phoenix Properties, fortunately was highly receptive to this requirement and came forth with the "Drexel at Oakley" name. It was the first time that anything upscale had been associated with the name "Oakley", and I believe that this was really the genesis of Oakley's renaissance.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor2012 View Post
Maybe in the minds of Norwoodians, but that is all. Some parts are comparable to parts of Oakley, but Hyde Park - No Way!

Rather than get your sensibilities all bent out of shape, just keep promoting Norwood for what it is, but not what it is not. Since the days of the GM Plant and LeBlond, Norwood has changed tremendously, most of the changes for the good. Only one change has not been for the good, the loss of all those jobs.

But that pales in comparison to what Oakley lost when Milacron and Williamson Furnace shut down. Granted Milacron was over a period of time, which probably made it even more depressing.

In my opinion, Oakley and Norwood have both become bedroom communities. That is fine as they both are very close to the job locations downtown, cutting that commute time. But available jobs in the communities themselves are no different than in Liberty Twp. out in Butler Co. The only difference is distance and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati