Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 AM

18 posts, read 57,845 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have noticed that people have recommended Oakley on these forums over and over as a good place to live. I have been considering moving there (one specific place I've been considering is a few blocks east of the Brotherton/Ridge intersection). But yesterday I was looking at this crime map: Cincinnati.Com Data Center: CinciNavigator for the area and I started having second thoughts. In the last year, there were a couple burglaries reported right in the area I was considering, as well as quite a few more burglaries, aggravated robberies, etc. and a murder in the surrounding 5 blocks or so.

Yet Oakley has so many glowing reviews on here... is this a bad part of Oakley? Am I overreacting? I know it's impossible to prevent crime completely, but I don't want to casually stroll into a bad situation just because Oakley in general has a good rep. Please give your honest opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:51 AM

28 posts, read 83,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmermaid View Post
Hi all! I have noticed that people have recommended Oakley on these forums over and over as a good place to live. I have been considering moving there (one specific place I've been considering is a few blocks east of the Brotherton/Ridge intersection). But yesterday I was looking at this crime map: Cincinnati.Com Data Center: CinciNavigator for the area and I started having second thoughts. In the last year, there were a couple burglaries reported right in the area I was considering, as well as quite a few more burglaries, aggravated robberies, etc. and a murder in the surrounding 5 blocks or so.

Yet Oakley has so many glowing reviews on here... is this a bad part of Oakley? Am I overreacting? I know it's impossible to prevent crime completely, but I don't want to casually stroll into a bad situation just because Oakley in general has a good rep. Please give your honest opinion!

I can't believe anyone has recommended oakley. In my opinion I don't even drive through oakley. There is a awesome town called mariemont which is just outside of oakley and is beautiful and quaint but I would avoid oakley.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:47 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Ah, the challenges of city life ... A couple burglaries in the past year? Yes, I believe you're overreacting.

What street are you looking at? In general, Oakley is perfectly safe. However, Brotherton does get a little more rundown the further east you go -- which doesn't necessarily make it unsafe, but some of the houses and apartment buildings aren't as well taken care of as others.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,884,803 times
Oakley is nice in the square type area but once you get up to Brotherton around the tire stores, it gets kinda scuzzy and run down.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the responses!

haileigh, I agree, Mariemont is really nice, but I haven't had much luck so far finding something in my price range there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ah, the challenges of city life ... A couple burglaries in the past year? Yes, I believe you're overreacting.

What street are you looking at? In general, Oakley is perfectly safe. However, Brotherton does get a little more rundown the further east you go -- which doesn't necessarily make it unsafe, but some of the houses and apartment buildings aren't as well taken care of as others.
Haha Yeah, if it were just a couple and that was it, I wouldn't be worried, but it was the 5 burglaries 1/2 mile in one direction, and the 6 burglaries (one resulting in murder) 1/2 mile in the other direction that made me hesitate. Still, I know it's not as bad as other areas in the city. It's easy to jump to conclusions when you look at this map, though, which I am probably doing (especially without details of the crimes), so I don't want to base my decision on that alone. I do appreciate your input.

The place I was considering is near Paxton Woods Rd (.3 miles or so east of Ridge on Brotherton). Parts of the area do look run-down, but this specific apartment isn't bad.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:22 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Oakley ... unsafe? Run down? Huh? ...

Oakley is an awesome neighborhood. You don't have anything to worry about. Oakley is also dense, so if you compared it to a neighborhood or suburb with more land/lot you are going to see more crime instances in a smaller radius search. I wouldn't turn down a nice home at a nice price because of a fear of crime in Oakley for one second.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
I used to live in Oakley. You said you're considering several locations in the area, so tell me what the specific streets/locations are, and I'll give you the lowdown.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I used to live in Oakley. You said you're considering several locations in the area, so tell me what the specific streets/locations are, and I'll give you the lowdown.
Ah, great.. well, the one place that I am seriously considering is pretty much at the intersection of Brotherton and Paxton Woods. I've been casually looking around at other places, but nothing specific other than that (trying to find an inexpensive yet safe apartment)... any general areas in Oakley that you would recommend for or against?

Last edited by madmermaid; 09-18-2008 at 09:12 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 06:56 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
That's one of the most desirable pockets of Oakley. You'll be fine.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:23 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haileigh32 View Post
I can't believe anyone has recommended oakley. In my opinion I don't even drive through oakley. There is a awesome town called mariemont which is just outside of oakley and is beautiful and quaint but I would avoid oakley.
you can't be serious.

You don't drive through oakley because?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati