Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 01:52 AM

9 posts, read 26,591 times

Advertisements

Hi i was looking at realtor . com it seems they have decent homes around 50,000 in ok areas, ca nsomeone tell me what other expenses i will have to pay. can someone break down combined property taxes,utilities and other things i need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 PM

120 posts, read 259,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimukr104 View Post
Hi i was looking at realtor . com it seems they have decent homes around 50,000 in ok areas, ca nsomeone tell me what other expenses i will have to pay. can someone break down combined property taxes,utilities and other things i need to know?
Taxes for Hamilton County can be found on the auditor's site:
Hamilton County Auditor Dusty Rhodes

You could try calling Duke Energy to see if they can give you an estimate on the gas and electric but be aware it may not be accurate if the property has been vacant for a while.
Ohio - Ohio - Duke Energy

Waterworks:
City of Cincinnati - Greater Cincinnati Water Works (http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/water/pages/-3026-/ - broken link)

Old 09-29-2009, 05:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
taxes = $50-60/1000x35%

A 50k house would thus pay $1000/yr

Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 AM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
In other words, about 2% of the total property value per year. (i.e. way too much).

Some municipalities are going to vary by about 0.5%, and a few homes in Cincy are tax-abated, but 2% is a good rule for the area

Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
In other words, about 2% of the total property value per year. (i.e. way too much).

Some municipalities are going to vary by about 0.5%, and a few homes in Cincy are tax-abated, but 2% is a good rule for the area
But you are getting a house for 50K that would cost you 125-200K in any other city for the comparable house in the same type of neighborhood. People in Cincinnati have do not realize how cheap housing is compared to other major cities. So you have to look at how much house you are getting for that 50K.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 AM

379 posts, read 849,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post

In my area it is around 1.8% of the accessed value. Depends on school district.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
But you are getting a house for 50K that would cost you 125-200K in any other city for the comparable house in the same type of neighborhood. People in Cincinnati have do not realize how cheap housing is compared to other major cities. So you have to look at how much house you are getting for that 50K.
I agree with you; however, most home buyers moving to Cincy don't function that way.

If someone was going to buy a 200k home somewhere else, they're probably going to be looking at about a 200k home in Cincinnati too. You certainly see a slew of this on the Eastside where most of the transplants reside. There are lots of people who live in relatively expensive Cincinnati houses who would have otherwise been relegated to starter homes or apartments in their city of origin.

But anyway, my point being that more people need to plan for the fact that Cincinnati property taxes are 2% instead of 1% or less like some other cities. That way they might consider that 100k house instead of just buying to their limit with a 200k house.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:43 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
Thats true Joe, at least Cincinnati has not had the rapid property value runups that cities like Indianapapolis has. Since I restore house I see this alot. I bought a house in Indy a short sale in 04 for 50K ( it would have sold for 15-20k in Cincy) Property taxbased on sale price was about 1200 a year. 2005 Reassessment? 140K, a 90K increase in 1 year!. You can imagine what the property taxes looked like. Indiana has a 1.5 percent cap this year and it goes to 1% next year. But they use trending which means if a house down the street sells for 300K you get adjusted up automatically. I know people who pay 20K a year in property taxes who own historic homes they restored themselves years ago, but because of recent sales they saw their property taxes go through the roof! Homestead and mortgage excemptions really help but I know people who literaly had to put their homes up for sale because the property taxes were so high.

As someone who loves old houses,The REALLY good thing about Cincinnati is the 10 yr tax abatement.15 yr with the LEED. At least going in you have an idea of what you taxes will look like long range, combined with the bargain basement prices for historic homes. For Historic Preservationists, Cincinnati may have the best real estate in the nation right now in terms of affordability and over the top architecture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: