Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times

Advertisements

You can when they set up the giant screen in Fountain Square...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 01:26 PM

295 posts, read 974,027 times
I don't know if this was at a regular theater or not, but here while back, they a showing of the documentary "The Very Worst Thing" at some theater down town. Esquire maybe?

Old 06-02-2012, 01:35 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
I don't know if this was at a regular theater or not, but here while back, they a showing of the documentary "The Very Worst Thing" at some theater down town. Esquire maybe?
Anybody ever heard of it? Maybe it was the very worst thing. Obviously the Esquire was not downtown, but in the area of Peebles Corner. Remember going there to see the sexpot Brigitte Bardot. That was back in the days when they showed foreign art films, and it was still single screen.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,822 times
James E. Do you have any pics of the Sixty Second Shop or people employed there? My mother and two good friends of our family worked there too. Harold was a manager and Flo and my mom Kathy were waitress'.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Anybody ever heard of it? Maybe it was the very worst thing. Obviously the Esquire was not downtown, but in the area of Peebles Corner. Remember going there to see the sexpot Brigitte Bardot. That was back in the days when they showed foreign art films, and it was still single screen.
I always thought that the Esquire was on Ludlow Ave. in Clifton.

I remember seeing a lot of art films at the Studio Theatre in the Playboy Building and at Moviola on Race St.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I always thought that the Esquire was on Ludlow Ave. in Clifton.

I remember seeing a lot of art films at the Studio Theatre in the Playboy Building and at Moviola on Race St.
I may have been a little enebriated at the time, but I am pretty sure I was not on Ludlow Ave. when I saw Brigitte Bardot at the Esquire in And God Created Woman. See, I can still remember the name. Give me some pluses for that.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
When you talk about an "art theater" in the area of Peebles Corner, you must be referring to The Guild, where one could see all the first-run art house pictures (for example, those of Ingmar Bergman). In the '50s-'60s, this theater introduced many of us HS kids to the film world outside of Hollywood.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 PM

221 posts, read 335,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
I can remember seeing them in N. College Hill, maybe as "recently" as 1964.

As for the danger factor, Seattle and Vancouver use such systems to this day, although not exclusively. The poles are pretty well insulated. You are probably in more danger from the line itself: remember the old song that began "Three-six-nine, the goose drank wine, the monkey chewed tobacco on the streetcar line ..."
I was in "The Cincinnati of the West," San Francisco, in August and, of course, along with the famous cable cars, the trolley buses are still running in that city. Both the newer ones and the older streetcars, such as the ones that run down Market Street, are still going strong. I'll have to admit, the San Francisco Muni overall is pretty good. Transit everywhere in the city, throughout most of the day and night, and you usually have to walk less than a block to use it and get anywhere in the city. The older streetcars are really beautiful. Here's one painted to look like the Cincinnati Street Railway:

Name:  Cincinnati Street Rail.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  7.4 KB

Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 6,356 times
Default These posts are a "Delight" to read!

I am a new member and I remember many of the Cincinnati Fountain Square sites. Remember the Oyster House, The big cowboy buffing a ?? Camel cigarette ??

The place that only my stomach remembers is a cafeteria on the south side of the square. Fried Cod, Harvard beets and a big yeast roll - ah heaven to a little country kid. I would love to know its name. My Mom would take us kids there for lunch on our school clothes shopping tour - we lived in the wilds beyond Cheviot and Bridgetown. LOL JP

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justphilip2003 View Post
I am a new member and I remember many of the Cincinnati Fountain Square sites. Remember the Oyster House, The big cowboy buffing a ?? Camel cigarette ??

The place that only my stomach remembers is a cafeteria on the south side of the square. Fried Cod, Harvard beets and a big yeast roll - ah heaven to a little country kid. I would love to know its name. My Mom would take us kids there for lunch on our school clothes shopping tour - we lived in the wilds beyond Cheviot and Bridgetown. LOL JP
AHH, the school clothes shopping trips, when you spent the day in the big city. How did you get there? We used to get there on the bus. Since the bus (maybe actualy a trolley) terminated in Madisonville and we lived in Madeira it was a good walk along Camargo Rd between the two. I think most of our lunches were at either the Walgreen's lunch counter or the Shillito's Tea Room if mom was feeling flush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati