Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 AM

73 posts, read 158,239 times

Advertisements

Can we compile a thorough list here (or a URL to one already done that is up to date) of all the beers that are locally brewed in Cincinnati?

I am moving to Cincy soon, and want to honor my German Cincy forefathers and support the local economy by thinking global but drinking local....

I believe a large portion of Sam Adams beers are brewed in Cincy. Is that broken down where certain Sam beers are brewed in Cincy and some elsewhere (i.e. If I drink a Noble Pils can I be sure it's hometown brewed?).

Which if any of the Moerlein brands are brewed and bottled/kegged locally? Any other brewers? I've heard of a couple of pubs offering local microbrews but haven't seen a comprehensive list.

Cheers!

P.S. Just noticed that Little Kings is out of the running for the list...Wilkes-Barre PA brewed

Little Kings looking to rule again | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 04:03 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,827,501 times
You may be about 3 decades too late. Sam Adams (Boston Beer Company) may be one of the few actually brewing in Cincy at the former Hudepohl-Schoenling brewery. Sort of ironic in that Sam Adams founder, Jim Koch, is a native of Cincinnati but founded Sam Adams in Boston, thus the name. I understand about 65% of the Sam Adams product is brewed in Cincy.

Many of the old brand names of Cincy beer can be found, but the majority are brewed somewhere else.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 PM

8 posts, read 33,405 times
There is a Rock Bottom located on Fountain Square. Barrelhouse is on Liberty Street, they sell growlers and bottle for retail sales. Hofbrauhaus is located at Newport on the Levy and they brew there. Mt Carmel Brewing distributes their beer in bottles and they are available at local stores. New to the game is Rivertown Brewing. Their product is available in 12 oz bottles at local retailers. The Hudepohl, Burger, Christian Moerlein names are owned by Greg Hardman. The beer however is brewed in LaCrosse, Wisconsin and Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania. A Christian Moerlein tap house is open in the Findlay Market area and a location is planned for the Banks Project (The riverfront area between the baseball stadium and the football stadium).

Old 04-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks! Great info. I've been to Rock Bottom and the Hofbrau several times when visiting, so there is that. Can't go wrong with Hofbrau if the meister is sticking to the purity laws ;-).....I'll look for Mt Carmel's beer and Rivertown....is Moerlein expected to be brewing on-site at the banks (either way a great addition to the scene though, especially if some of the biergarten is outdoors...celebrating our up and coming Reds there could be something special.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,725,160 times
Yes, the Moerlein Lager House will be about twice the size of Hofbrau and the Biergarten will be about three times the size from what I understand.

From what I understand Moerlein is working on relocating the brewery to OTR.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM

8 posts, read 33,405 times
There will be a brewery at the Moerlein Lager House'
See:
Moerlein Lager House at Cincinnati Riverfront Park - Christian Moerlein Brewing Co. selected to develop new Cincinnati Riverfront Park restaurant - Cincinnati News at Cincinnati.com

Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Okotberfest 2011 will be best celebrated in Zinzinnati @ Moerlein, not Ol' Munchen ;-)
Nice!!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 AM

[quote=beercanchuck;13573098]There will be a brewery at the Moerlein Lager House'/quote]

Great to hear they plan an onsite brewery. Family history says my great-grandfather immigrated from Bavaria to be a brewer at the original Christian Moerlein. Still have a few of the ceramic bottles they used saved by my mother. Quite artistic and indicates they must have been the class of the field at the time. Hope the new endeavor will help to reestablish some of Cincy's great German heritage.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 AM

I didn't mean to slight the microbreweries. They have done a great job to reestablish recognition of true, craft brewed beer. I only meant the days when Cincy was home to large, regional breweries appears to be over. The few national brands, Anhauser Bush and Miller/Coors dominate the market.

Just as a comment, I spent a lot of time in Japan while working. At first, I really enjoyed their locally brewed beer - Kirin, Suntory, Asahi, and Sapporo, great copies of good old German lager. Imagine my surprise when during my later trips there I began to encounter Bud Light, Miller Lite, etc. Just shows how the power of marketing can reach anywhere.

Last edited by kjbrill; 04-03-2010 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-03-2010, 08:57 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,725,160 times
Here's a great video showing the progress of the Lager house construction so far ...

YouTube - What Progress! Spring 2010 Cincinnati Riverfront Park Construction Update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati