Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 PM

72 posts, read 116,083 times

Advertisements

Currently live in Charlotte,NC.; which is easy living but bland; may have to relocate for job. 'Lived in the Baltimore area, which I loved...the Chesapeake Bay, easy access to D.C., Inner Harbor strolls, loads of history, the arts, etc. (This dissertation was just to give you a frame of reference.) And yes, I have been reading the different threads in this forum. However, I guess I need more input/insight from the Cinci. people. We are a family inclusive of 1 teenager. We would look to live in the environs of Cinci., and not directly downtown. Maybe a question also to ask is---> if you moved from your city (of Cincinnati), would you miss your town and regret the move?! Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,947,710 times
i moved to cincinnati for grad school in 2003. i left in 2007 for work and am moving back in about a month. i consider it my home even though i didn't grow up there. i could have moved almost anywhere in the country based on my field of work and am excited to move back to cinci.

maybe that will help. cincinnati has a way of growing on you. it really is unlike anywhere else. i joke with some friends that never left that it grew on them like a wart. just kidding, it is a nice place.

i'll leave it to the others to recommend communities, i'm just exploring them again myself. if you are looking in the 200-300k range for a house, i think wyoming (a close suburb just north of the city) would be the place to be. the further out suburbs have little sense of place, imo (there is no there, there)

Last edited by progmac; 04-25-2010 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 PM

350 posts, read 881,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishgirl View Post

Currently live in Charlotte,NC.; which is easy living but bland;
What would be more exciting?

may have to relocate for job. 'Lived in the Baltimore area, which I loved...the Chesapeake Bay, easy access to D.C., Inner Harbor strolls, loads of history, the arts, etc.
Cincinnati easily has more arts and history than B-more. Probably can't touch DC in arts, definitely not in history, but what city could? No harbor but a river, lol.

We would look to live in the environs of Cinci., and not directly downtown.
"environs"..."inclusive of"...well for one thing, we tend to speak rather plainly, lol.

Cincinnati is comprised of 52 mostly very large neighborhoods. There is the perfect neighborhood for everyone, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Maybe a question also to ask is---> if you moved from your city (of Cincinnati), would you miss your town and regret the move?! Thank you in advance!!
I have, and I definitey did!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 AM

72 posts, read 116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishgirl View Post
Currently live in Charlotte,NC.; which is easy living but bland; may have to relocate for job. 'Lived in the Baltimore area, which I loved...the Chesapeake Bay, easy access to D.C., Inner Harbor strolls, loads of history, the arts, etc. (This dissertation was just to give you a frame of reference.) And yes, I have been reading the different threads in this forum. However, I guess I need more input/insight from the Cinci. people. We are a family inclusive of 1 teenager. We would look to live in the environs of Cinci., and not directly downtown. Maybe a question also to ask is---> if you moved from your city (of Cincinnati), would you miss your town and regret the move?! Thank you in advance!!
progmac,
Thanks for the response! I think your answer "says a lot"...especially the fact that you are able to live anywhere and are choosing Cinci. Thanks also for indicating a possible (Cinci.) area to live in. Completing my teenager's high school education in a quality school (system) will take priority.
'Good day!
Polishgirl

Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,844,632 times
I grew up in Wyoming and can vouch for the quality of its schools 100%. The only real negative about the educational experience is that there's a strong college-prep bias - not all kids fit that mold. But parents love the concept, always have, and always will. The other top-ranked public school systems in the area are in "blander" communities (IMHO): Mason, Blue Ash/Montgomery (Sycamore), Indian Hill, and Madeira. Not that Wyoming will ever be mistaken for Midtown Manhattan either, but there is all sorts of diversity (class/ethnicity/religion/etc) within its boundaries that often stays hidden behind its popular "WASP snob" image.
If your daughter/son makes the grade - literally - and gains admission to CPS' Walnut Hills High School, or SCPA (School for Creative and Performing Arts), s/he will have access to educational quality equal to that in the preppie 'burbs. Within the city limits, perenially popular communities include Mt Lookout and Clifton, both of which are decidedly (but not exclusively) upscale and walkable neighborhoods. Neither are far from downtown either.
As for leaving Cincy, I did so voluntarily and am glad I did. The main reasons for this are the "six degrees of separation" effect of living in a "company" (P & G) city, and the entrenched conservative-to-extreme-right political mindset which carries the day there. But it is, as they say, a nice place to be from. The people as a rule are friendlier by nature than they are on the East Coast, and there's a phenomenal arts community to be found along with second-to-none parks + one of the best zoos in the world + some great museums. Given a choice I'd definitely settle there ahead of Charlotte or Baltimore.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,335,333 times
Oooo.... ouch.... Comparing Cincinnati to Baltimore....
I don't know that it's accurate to say Cincinnati has more arts and history than Baltimore. After all, the Battle of Baltimore was one of the turning points of the war of 1812. The Star Spangled Banner was also written in Baltimore Harbor at that time. The Great Baltimore Fire gave cause for standardizing firefighting equipment. The Orioles is a great team, and Camden Yards is a great stadium. Oh, and who can question the great history of Maryland crabcakes in Baltimore?

And... being from Maryland, and Baltimore being one of my favorite cities, perhaps I'm a little biased in making a comparison.

However, back to Cincinnati... What would I miss if I moved? Findley Market for sure. Cincinnati Parks. The Ohio River. The hills around Cincinnati. Goetta. The Coffee Emporium (and various other local coffee shops). MainStrasse (in Covington). The Haufbrauhaus (in Newport). Mt Adams.

Those are a few things that I'd miss if I moved.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,298,861 times
I was jumping to answer "move to Wyoming" before I saw other posters had beat me to it. Loved that town, but not more than I love the ocean. Do I miss it? Yes, especially in the Fall. So very pretty. Do I regret my move South? No way! But if you are going to live in Cinti area, it's a great smallllllllllllllllll city. Now I'll read goyguy -- didn't want him to influence my post.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,973 times
Check out the inner suburbs of Mariemont, Blue Ash, and Norwood. Also, there are some great neighborhoods in the city too.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 PM

350 posts, read 881,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Oooo.... ouch.... Comparing Cincinnati to Baltimore....
I don't know that it's accurate to say Cincinnati has more arts and history than Baltimore. After all, the Battle of Baltimore was one of the turning points of the war of 1812. The Star Spangled Banner was also written in Baltimore Harbor at that time. The Great Baltimore Fire gave cause for standardizing firefighting equipment. The Orioles is a great team, and Camden Yards is a great stadium. Oh, and who can question the great history of Maryland crabcakes in Baltimore?

And... being from Maryland, and Baltimore being one of my favorite cities, perhaps I'm a little biased in making a comparison.
flash, seriously...not to get in a debate...but those aren't that strong. Cincinnati played a big part in the Civil War, Underground Railroad, many firsts in heavy industry, inventions, etc. Interesting you brought up fire as Cincinnati also played a part in the development of firefighting. Have you been to the Fire Museum? I need to see it again. Highly recommended.

Ahem, Reds, first major league team.

Just messin' with you, didn't mean to diss B-More...

You also forgot my Literary Hero, Edgar Allan Poe.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,973 times
Cincinnati was also considered the first boom town. Just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati