Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:51 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times

Advertisements

San Francisco appears to be the consensus here, and I'd have to agree. I have never EVER seen so many homeless people in any city in my life. You literally have to step over them to walk down the sidewalks. No coincidence that San Francisco has the most liberal laws in the country when it comes to homelessness: Free health care and three free meals a day. It's tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 04:03 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I think it's less visible in LA simply because let's be real, how likely are you as a visitor to be hanging around areas where the homeless live (like Skid Row for instance).
Extremely likely.

Tourists never go to Hollywood? Tourists never go to Griffith Park? Tourists never go to Venice or the rest of the west side? Tourists never set foot anywhere near freeways (all of which have adjacent homeless encampments)?

All of the city of Los Angeles has a severe homeless problem. San Francisco has an atrocious homeless problem, worse than anywhere else except Los Angeles - but L.A. takes the cake. I've lived in both cities

Old 10-03-2014, 05:06 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
If i was an American and homeless i know where I would go! California!

Old 10-04-2014, 07:11 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
San Francisco, by far.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Cities with the worst homeless problem.
Those with mild winters and/or year-round temperate climates and high housing costs. One city that comes to mind that has not been mentioned is Honolulu.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:10 AM

245 posts, read 304,553 times
if they were not drunks, dopers, lazy or nuts, they could come up with enough money to get a $300 car to live in no kids, single). Throw away the rear seat and passenger seat. Cut out the partitions between rear seat and the trunk. Put a sheet of heavy particle board over the trunk area, from the driver's seat back, and presto, sleeping area. Secure from theft, weather, mobile (so not noticed, if you move it morning and night, 1/2 mile or so each time, around the corner from the last place.

Day labor places are always hurting for people with a car, so they can get enough money, in 2-3 months, to upgrade to a $1000 minivan. With a van, living like this is actually quite viable. Just move twice a year, north or south, with the weather. There's no reason why you can't, and there's no reason to suffer with the heat or the cold, either.

In this manner, you can live in some really nice areas, for almost nothing, and never be noticed (if you are careful). I lived in a Dodge caravan for a year, gas averaged $15 a week, while I pulled down13k per year of loans for college. The grants paid for tuition and fees. I read the books in the library, charged my razor, laptop and phone while there, (or at Macs, public library, VA hospital, etc.) All, including Wally's, the college Dollar General, my storage unit, etc, were located in a circle of about 1 mile radius. Nothing's changed since I did this, It's quite feasible. I used the 12k that I saved to get a 40k per year income secured (clear). You can on sales of blood plasma ($250 per month) and food stamps, while eating at the mission. Car insurance and storage (not really needed, if you are organized) are still just $50 per month (each) clothing is very cheap at the Goodwill.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:21 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
if they were not drunks, dopers, lazy or nuts, they could come up with enough money to get a $300 car to live in no kids, single). Throw away the rear seat and passenger seat. Cut out the partitions between rear seat and the trunk. Put a sheet of heavy particle board over the trunk area, from the driver's seat back, and presto, sleeping area. Secure from theft, weather, mobile (so not noticed, if you move it morning and night, 1/2 mile or so each time, around the corner from the last place.

Day labor places are always hurting for people with a car, so they can get enough money, in 2-3 months, to upgrade to a $1000 minivan. With a van, living like this is actually quite viable. Just move twice a year, north or south, with the weather. There's no reason why you can't, and there's no reason to suffer with the heat or the cold, either.

In this manner, you can live in some really nice areas, for almost nothing, and never be noticed (if you are careful). I lived in a Dodge caravan for a year, gas averaged $15 a week, while I pulled down13k per year of loans for college. The grants paid for tuition and fees. I read the books in the library, charged my razor, laptop and phone while there, (or at Macs, public library, VA hospital, etc.) All, including Wally's, the college Dollar General, my storage unit, etc, were located in a circle of about 1 mile radius. Nothing's changed since I did this, It's quite feasible. I used the 12k that I saved to get a 40k per year income secured (clear). You can on sales of blood plasma ($250 per month) and food stamps, while eating at the mission. Car insurance and storage (not really needed, if you are organized) are still just $50 per month (each) clothing is very cheap at the Goodwill.
No way I could voluntarily live that way.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 PM

245 posts, read 304,553 times
no, instead you'll work forever for 50k a year, and give all of it to big bro and the landlord and utility companies. Never save a dime, do anything or go anywhere. I went overseas, married a nurse, she paid me enough to get a house, rented it out, got another, then another, and now I'm all set. I'm clearing 60k a year and no longer have to manage any of the buildings. Yeah, I had to sacrifice a couple of years, living rough. But now I get to goof off for the rest of my life, if I wish. I'm using my time to design weapons.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:58 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
I would love for SF to win this one but living in downtown LA a few blocks from Skid Row and witnessing the depths of despair there every day, I don't see how any city in the country has LA "beat" in this measure. That's not a brag. Its a blight on our city and I hope this city gets it together in terms of affordable housing and care for the mentally ill sooner than later.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Miami definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.