Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you like most?
Baltimore 25 30.86%
Detroit 17 20.99%
New Orleans 18 22.22%
Oakland 18 22.22%
All of the above 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, believe me, I'm trying to get more people to commit to a five year plan. There's a lot Detroit can have going for it. It has good bones and cheap real estate right now, the auto industry of America looks a lot less moribund than it did even from even a year ago, and Detroit's got a (musical) legacy and a classic skyline that's hard to beat. It also has room for expansion in its pretty nice airport (for a stab at the aerotropolis concept), and with enough push, maybe a connection to Canada's version of the northeast corridor (the Windsor-Quebec City line with Windsor just across the river). Michigan's also got a hefty tax break for the film industry which is a pretty fluid industry and Detroit needs to bank on. Transportation, cheap real estate, film, and music. That's a good foursome there.

JOIN ME.
I'm pretty attracted to Detroit myself. I figure there has to be cool things happening considering its cultural history. And not just cheap real estate, but AWESOME real estate, too. I read somewhere on here that in Detroit people used to have to hire a personal architect to design their houses before any construction could be approved. I fantasize about renting a cool 1920's style Victorian home somewhere in Detroit with roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:01 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,395,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I'm pretty attracted to Detroit myself. I figure there has to be cool things happening considering its cultural history. And not just cheap real estate, but AWESOME real estate, too. I read somewhere on here that in Detroit people used to have to hire a personal architect to design their houses before any construction could be approved. I fantasize about renting a cool 1920's style Victorian home somewhere in Detroit with roommates.
I believe it could be done only if more people thought like you

Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Oakland by a very wide margin. Its not really even close for me.

As Ive stated before in many of these comparisons of supposedly downtrodden cities, the lifestyle I have in Oakland cannot be duplicated in even most of the 'nice' cities.

Oakland has elevation as it soars from sea level to high hills that look down on the city and bay, diversity that is incomparable by this lot, is a bit more visibly affluent than the other 3, has infintely better weather, has better location and closer proximity to all things world class and so on.

Nothing against the others, they are all awesome. NOLA is one of my favorite places.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Since we've leveled the playing field in the "omg crime" category, Oakland rises above in weather, topography and multiculturalism.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:34 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
LOL everyone this thread isn't about which one you think is best or would like to live in, its about you and your perception if these four can make a strong comeback and become a stabilized area?

Oakland I know has exponentially increased port activities and they're starting to steal some of Los Angeles's thunder in that regard, so is Seattle. So thats a good take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, believe me, I'm trying to get more people to commit to a five year plan. There's a lot Detroit can have going for it. It has good bones and cheap real estate right now, the auto industry of America looks a lot less moribund than it did even from even a year ago, and Detroit's got a (musical) legacy and a classic skyline that's hard to beat. It also has room for expansion in its pretty nice airport (for a stab at the aerotropolis concept), and with enough push, maybe a connection to Canada's version of the northeast corridor (the Windsor-Quebec City line with Windsor just across the river). Michigan's also got a hefty tax break for the film industry which is a pretty fluid industry and Detroit needs to bank on. Transportation, cheap real estate, film, and music. That's a good foursome there.

JOIN ME.
Definitely I'm in. I love Detroit, and these other cities in this thread too. Detroit has some really nice suburbs, they're pretty. Like Plymouth.

From what I remember this month for the first time in years Michigan created more jobs than lost, and Detroit's economy is supposed to start recovering bit by bit now. thats great news. And I hope it continues to do so.

Baltimore will benefit from its location, it will be an attractive place to relocate too if you want to avoid the expense of Washington DC MSA. Baltimore is close enough yet far enough to maintain its own identity.

New Orleans like you said will always be what it is, culturally it cannot be replicated. And I've seen some of their restoration projects, those will do some major good for New Orleans.

Seems like all of them are on the right track.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
NOLA is the nicest city, followed by Baltimore because of the harbor....

Old 08-26-2010, 03:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
For living, i think Baltimore and Oakland are the best. Maybe im wrong, but ive always thought Oakland overall doesn't have the same amount of issues as the cities its paired with. I think the most beautiful cities on the list are Baltimore and New Orleans, architecturally. For skyline, Detroit is the clear winner followed by New Orleans, Baltimore, then Oakland. Climate goes to probably Oakland or New Orleans, then Baltimore, and finally Detroit.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:16 PM

10,111 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
For living, i think Baltimore and Oakland are the best. Maybe im wrong, but ive always thought Oakland overall doesn't have the same amount of issues as the cities its paired with. I think the most beautiful cities on the list are Baltimore and New Orleans, architecturally. For skyline, Detroit is the clear winner followed by New Orleans, Baltimore, then Oakland. Climate goes to probably Oakland or New Orleans, then Baltimore, and finally Detroit.

It gets cold as Balls in Baltimore, I couldnt imagine living in detroit; they dont get the blizzards we get tho.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
Oakland or New Orleans. Both are great cities.

Part of Oakland from Above

Part of New Orleans from above

Old 03-13-2016, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,290 times
Detroit is My hometown. I also lived in New Orleans and New york. I believe that both cities people have a wonderful and unique Pride for their City. Detroit and New Orleans are two of my favorite places to be in the nation. Joey d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City