Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US City would be the Most Interesting/Well-Suited for the Summer Olympics? Post a Poll
New York City 11 6.83%
Chicago 38 23.60%
Seattle 14 8.70%
San Francisco 22 13.66%
Houston 11 6.83%
Dallas 10 6.21%
Miami 6 3.73%
Boston 11 6.83%
Minneapolis 13 8.07%
Other (Post in response) 25 15.53%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM

182 posts, read 314,407 times

Advertisements

Why isn't Atlanta up there?? ... Oh that's right after the embarrassing hosting they did ... and didn't Chicago loose to Rio de Janeiro already?? the Olympics aren't interested in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
Why isn't Atlanta up there?? ... Oh that's right after the embarrassing hosting they did ... and didn't Chicago loose to Rio de Janeiro already?? the Olympics aren't interested in Chicago.
Another misguided soul commenting on the Olympics in Atlanta...you have no idea what you're talking about, so why make such silly comments? How embarrassing for you.

And yes, Chicago did lose to Rio de Janeiro in the FINAL ROUND OF VOTING. How many other U.S. cities actually made it that far?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM

182 posts, read 314,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Another misguided soul commenting on the Olympics in Atlanta...you have no idea what you're talking about, so why make such silly comments? How embarrassing for you.

And yes, Chicago did lose to Rio de Janeiro in the FINAL ROUND OF VOTING. How many other U.S. cities actually made it that far?
How embarrassing for America, Atlanta did a horrible job hosting the Olympics .. its no secret.

Chicago was the only US city because its only 1 city per bid .. silly goose. Yeah and Chicago was the 1st city eliminated, it received the least amount of votes .

Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Any American city would have been the first one out if they made it as far as Chicago in last year's decision.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking -- WAY too hot for many events! But I'm guessing the Olympics have been played in similarly hot climates before, no? ATL and Athens aren't exactly cool...
I know weather can be a huge problem. But these are the SUMMER Olympics. It is suppose to be hot People need to grow a pair. If you wanted the olympics in a cool time. Start promoting the Autumn olympics. That's like complaining that it's cold at the Winter Olympics.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 AM

15 posts, read 24,282 times
Miami is best for summer, thousands of people from different states visit Miami.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A joint venture between Seattle and Vancouver to host would be nice. Binational is a nice ol' theme, plenty of places to venues to host between the two of them, beautiful natural environment all around and amazing summer weather. Vancouver's mass transit is already amazing, while Seattle's is steadily improving. It could also help spur the development of the a high speed cascadia line.
I think the IOC frowns on joint cities though. I believe Washington-Baltimore was going to try to bid one year and they were told no. Must be one or the other.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know weather can be a huge problem. But these are the SUMMER Olympics. It is suppose to be hot People need to grow a pair. If you wanted the olympics in a cool time. Start promoting the Autumn olympics. That's like complaining that it's cold at the Winter Olympics.
I've never heard of cold weather hindering Winter Olympians' performances, yet hot weather is not ideal for many Summer Olympic activities, especially in track and field. Most marathons, for example, aren't set during the hottest time of the year, often they take place during the fall.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I've never heard of cold weather hindering Winter Olympians' performances, yet hot weather is not ideal for many Summer Olympic activities, especially in track and field. Most marathons, for example, aren't set during the hottest time of the year, often they take place during the fall.
Then I guess hold the Olympics in the Fall and call them the Fall Olympics. While I agree that the hot weather could be a hinderance to many of the athletes. I think most if not all of them get use to the weather conditions. Most of the marathon events take place early in the morning anyway. Like starting around 6 or 7 AM and finishes around 10 or 11. Even in hot Houston or Dallas, it's still comfortable around 8 or 9 in the middle of July and August.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:23 AM

84 posts, read 182,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Then I guess hold the Olympics in the Fall and call them the Fall Olympics. While I agree that the hot weather could be a hinderance to many of the athletes. I think most if not all of them get use to the weather conditions. Most of the marathon events take place early in the morning anyway. Like starting around 6 or 7 AM and finishes around 10 or 11. Even in hot Houston or Dallas, it's still comfortable around 8 or 9 in the middle of July and August.
Sure, they get used to it. But extreme weather is still something the IOC considers when choosing a city. I can only imagine: Summer Olympics Dubai 2020.

This is another advantage for Seattle also. Tourists often say Seattle has the nation's best summers. It's always in the upper 70s, rarely hotter, rarely cooler, and always with low humidity. The sun shows its face most days during the summer too, there's only ever a few cloudy days. Sometimes we get these awful heat waves that go up to the upper 90s. That's happened the last two years in a row, but not this year so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City