Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Trust me theres nothing in nyc that resembles the suburbs of houston. We might have houses in nyc but nothing that resembles suburbs
hmmm
New York, NY - Google Maps

Doesn't resemble Houston, but it could definitely pass as a suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
No one said anything about the suburbs of Houston buddy.

By posting that you just proved that you didn't know what a suburb was.
So show me the suburbs of nyc. Every borough has quiter pockets with homes but i wouldnt call them suburbs. I know full well what suburbs are. We have plenty of them in westchester and long island

Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
hmmm

those actually do resemble some houses just SSE of Downtown Houston on the northern edge of 3rd ward

Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
So show me the suburbs of nyc. Every borough has quiter pockets with homes but i wouldnt call them suburbs. I know full well what suburbs are. We have plenty of them in westchester and long island
hun you are confusing suburbs with sunbelt sprawl. the two are not the same babe

and Westbank did post some

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
those actually do resemble some houses just SSE of Downtown Houston on the northern edge of 3rd ward
A little. 3rd ward houses tend to be bricked or stoned and a little further apart.

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Actually besides the outer areas on Long Island, KONY is right. New York City doesn't really have suburbs in New Jersey. Jersey City & Newark among other cities in New Jersey are all cities of their own, principle cities at that. There is literally nothing suburban like about Jersey City & Newark.

Maybe the side on Connecticut, but I doubt a heavy population is there over New Jersey for the metropolitan area.

I agree with other cities on that list of people who predominantly live in suburbs over their principle cities but New York City is actually an exception to that rule, New Jersey has their own cities which are not at all suburbs. They are more likely known as satellite cities.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
hmmm

The guy said most nyers are living in suburbs thats not true. Those are just neighborhoods that exist in the outskirts of boroughs. Thats just one block the next block could be incredibly urban. One to three blocks of houses do not equal suburban living

Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Actually besides the outer areas on Long Island, KONY is right. New York City doesn't really have suburbs in New Jersey. Jersey City & Newark among other cities in New Jersey are all cities of their own, principle cities at that. There is literally nothing suburban like about Jersey City & Newark.

Maybe the side on Connecticut, but I doubt a heavy population is there over New Jersey for the metropolitan area.
Queens and Brooklyn have "suburban" looking areas if we're going to go by single family homes. What does suburban look like anyway? It's different everywhere you go.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

I agree with other cities on that list of people who predominantly live in suburbs over their principle cities but New York City is actually an exception to that rule, New Jersey has their own cities which are not at all suburbs. They are more likely known as satellite cities.
Thank you. A couple of streets in queens with houses does not equal suburban

Old 07-24-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
The guy said most nyers are living in suburbs thats not true. Those are just neighborhoods that exist in the outskirts of boroughs. Thats just one block the next block could be incredibly urban. One to three blocks of houses do not equal suburban living
Except in that case the next block looked the same. Don't nitpick, it was clear that he was talking about metros and not cities proper. More people in the NYC MSA live in the suburbs than actually live in the city.

Secondly, since when does a suburb have to be all low density housing? That's news to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City