Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?????????
New York City 5 19.23%
Los Angeles 3 11.54%
Miami 5 19.23%
Houston 4 15.38%
San Antonio 2 7.69%
Orlando 0 0%
Washington DC 4 15.38%
Honolulu 1 3.85%
Chicago 1 3.85%
Other 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:50 AM

224 posts, read 604,802 times

Advertisements

Chicago, Bay Area, New York, Washington Dc, LA area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Yeah,I'm bilingual (french/english) and soon multilingual (+ Russian / Spanish) and I want to live in Texas (from France).But I'm curious, to find a work as a multilingual guy (pretty advantageous I guess), what cities are the best in this case ?
I guess it's rather in tourism cities or in the international trade.
Well how fluent are you in those three languages. I guess French fluent. If you will be fluent in bot Russian and Spanish also DC or NYC will probably offer a lot. NYC has more people who speak those languages living in the city and DC has the whole government thing going for it. After those two I would say Miami:

Miami will be after that as Miami has a HUGE spanish speaking population. Also Miami has a large Russian population and decent amount of French.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Well how fluent are you in those three languages. I guess French fluent. If you will be fluent in bot Russian and Spanish also DC or NYC will probably offer a lot. NYC has more people who speak those languages living in the city and DC has the whole government thing going for it. After those two I would say Miami:

Miami will be after that as Miami has a HUGE spanish speaking population. Also Miami has a large Russian population and decent amount of French.
Yeah I guess Miami is an excellent choice for me, and the weather is wonderful.And Houston will be the best to create my own business.
I love Florida, so I'm pretty happy

Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
Speaking French and Russian will surely be advantageous, but there aren't any big cities in the US where French and Russian are prominent languages. Big, diverse cities like NY, LA, Chicago, SF, DC, Boston, and Houston may be your best options just because of the sheer amount of businesses in those cities, meaning a better chance at finding a job that requires one of those languages.

Spanish is prominent in Miami, LA, San Diego, SF, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, NY, and Chicago, so those might be good places for jobs requiring Spanish language skills.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 AM

Yeah, I will certainly go to Miami or Orlando for my first years

Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Renaud, you should visit the cities you are interested in before deciding which one you like.

Being bilingual in French and English is not all that in Texas. It certainly wont hurt, but there isnt as much of a use for it in Texas even in Houston. If you are trying to find where to use that the best and where that would be the most advantageous, I would suggest NYC, Miami, Chicago, DC, or LA. The best place of all would be Quebec in Canada assuming you can handle the cold.

Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Urdu, Hindi, and Korean are all more useful in Texas than French.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Renaud, you should visit the cities you are interested in before deciding which one you like.

Being bilingual in French and English is not all that in Texas. It certainly wont hurt, but there isnt as much of a use for it in Texas even in Houston. If you are trying to find where to use that the best and where that would be the most advantageous, I would suggest NYC, Miami, Chicago, DC, or LA. The best place of all would be Quebec in Canada assuming you can handle the cold.

Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Urdu, Hindi, and Korean are all more useful in Texas than French.
LAnative : Not english and french only ! I learn Spanish and Russian too, I will be able to speak them well in 2 years.
It's rare to see people speaking 4 languages, mostly in tourism cities as Orlando, Las Vegas and Miami ^^

Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
If you don't mind the cold, I would check-out Montreal. Lots of use for French, and an awesome city!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
LAnative : Not english and french only ! I learn Spanish and Russian too, I will be able to speak them well in 2 years.
It's rare to see people speaking 4 languages, mostly in tourism cities as Orlando, Las Vegas and Miami ^^
Given the combo of languages you speak, I would say NYC, LA, Montreal, or Miami. Thats where you will be able to use them the most.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
If you don't mind the cold, I would check-out Montreal. Lots of use for French, and an awesome city!
Canada is a cool country, but I dream to live in the US, particularly in the Sunbelt (I want sun, it's so rainy and cold here since my birth ^^ ) so..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City