Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami suburbs or Dallas suburbs?
Dallas 9 50.00%
Miami 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,688 times

Advertisements

My family has the opportunity to move to either the suburbs of Dallas Texas or the Suburbs of Miami FL. Both states are great options compared to where we live now in New York, due to taxes, weather, and distance from family.
For Texas, we are looking at Irving, and for Florida something outside of Miramar (Miramar seems to be so expensive)
We need something with a good job market for the non profit industry, a place with lots of fun things to do and experience, and a place that’s a good area for raising a family.
Any insights for those familiar with the areas would be fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 07:19 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamG8tor View Post
My family has the opportunity to move to either the suburbs of Dallas Texas or the Suburbs of Miami FL. Both states are great options compared to where we live now in New York, due to taxes, weather, and distance from family.
For Texas, we are looking at Irving, and for Florida something outside of Miramar (Miramar seems to be so expensive)
We need something with a good job market for the non profit industry, a place with lots of fun things to do and experience, and a place that’s a good area for raising a family.
Any insights for those familiar with the areas would be fantastic!
I prefer the Miami metro but if good job market is important then Dallas is better.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
Does your family travel alot? Dallas is just hit's so many marks for a family. Ease and cost of travel to either coast. (That matters when buying multiple tickets) Also the economy is much more diverse in DFW. Miami is really really good at what it does as far as being a gateway to latin america for the US and tourism, and the weather is generally much more favorable. But aside from this DFW is going to win. Also, I can't every recall Miami or it's environs as a place that family flock too. It's more of a singles or retiree town. And generally more expensive. I suggest a pros and cons sheet with columns based on what your family desires. I could be wrong but MIA isn't going to hold a torch to DFW.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
One thing to consider coming from New York is would you feel more comfortable moving to an area with a lot of New York transplants? Would that be a positive comfort factor for you? If so, Miami. If you want to avoid New York transplants, go to Dallas. If you don't care, well then you're back at square 1.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:44 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Yes and no...decent number of NY transplants in the Plano area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
One thing to consider coming from New York is would you feel more comfortable moving to an area with a lot of New York transplants? Would that be a positive comfort factor for you? If so, Miami. If you want to avoid New York transplants, go to Dallas. If you don't care, well then you're back at square 1.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:16 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
I’m not sure Miami is very family friendly, but I generally prefer south FL to Dallas, although greater Miami is far more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City