Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
When I think of Texas I think of cowboy hat-wearing fatties with Yosemite Sam mustaches riding around in giant cadillacs with steer horns tied to the front....doesn't mean that my perception is even close to accurate or relevant.

LMAO!!!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
in all fairness though.... being perceived for the grunge scene isn't as bad as what you described.

i liked the grunge scene.
Harsh realm bro. I guess my point was that people have their stereotypes of what a place is like, and often times it is far removed from reality.

Yes almost 2 decades ago a famous grunge musician killed himself (btw Kurt Cobain hated the concept of a distinct genre of rock called "grunge", and laughed at it). I think most Seattleites have moved on from that.

I'll be swingin on the flippity flop.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Quote:
Harsh realm bro. I guess my point was that people have their stereotypes of what a place is like, and often times it is far removed from reality.

Yes almost 2 decades ago a famous grunge musician killed himself (btw Kurt Cobain hated the concept of a distinct genre of rock called "grunge", and laughed at it). I think most Seattleites have moved on from that.

I'll be swingin on the flippity flop.
well.... it's not like i'm still living in the 90s here either.... but it is something to be known for.

I knew what your point was though. I was just teasing a bit.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No Seattle seems dense in Texas terms because it is more dense than any major city in Texas. That's a fact and there's really nothing podunk about a city that has over 600,000 people (about the same size as Washington DC).

I could gove you a list of many cities much larger than that are podunk and run down. You know betetr than that to claim the number or people in the city affects wether it spodunk or not.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
When I think of Texas I think of cowboy hat-wearing fatties with Yosemite Sam mustaches riding around in giant cadillacs with steer horns tied to the front....doesn't mean that my perception is even close to accurate or relevant.
Exactly. You'd think as hypersensitive as Texans can be about how their state is perceived (understandably so), you'd think some of the posters on here wouldn't be so quick to point out ignorant stereotypes about other places, but since this is Metro Matt we're talking about...

Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually if you look at population within 5 miles of the Core

Houston is estimated to have about 60K more people (now the bay plays a factor but still has more people) within a 5 mile radius.

Houston ~460K
Seattle ~380K
The numbers don't explain the more urban feel you get on the streets. Perhaps because fewer pedestrians in downtown Houston?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The numbers don't explain the more urban feel you get on the streets. Perhaps because fewer pedestrians in downtown Houston?
Nah they are in underground tunnels that runs throughout downtown. There is an underground world in downtown Houston with all the normal shops you'd found street level. I'm being serious.

To the OP: Seattle is definitely more urban overall but Houston has the "big city" feel. Outside of the downtown areas of Seattle, Houston looks and feels bigger. Bellevue seemed like a slightly more urban, smaller version of Uptown.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Nah they are in underground tunnels that runs throughout downtown. There is an underground world in downtown Houston with all the normal shops you'd found street level. I'm being serious.

To the OP: Seattle is definitely more urban overall but Houston has the "big city" feel. Outside of the downtown areas of Seattle, Houston looks and feels bigger. Bellevue seemed like a slightly more urban, smaller version of Uptown.

That is true, people are always tumbling over each other in those underground tunnels, kinda like those ants glass habitat thingies. The restaurants there get real busy too

Last edited by HtownLove; 08-25-2010 at 10:48 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post

To the OP: Seattle is definitely more urban overall but Houston has the "big city" feel. Outside of the downtown areas of Seattle, Houston looks and feels bigger..
Seriously?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Seriously?

yeah buddy, keep posting pictures of a tiny area of Houston and act like it is the entire city.

Leave out the med center area, Greenway plaza, Uptown.....

who are you trying to convince anyway with those pictures. How can you tell which city feels bigger from a small snapshot?

look at the money coming from Houston and the money coming from Houston and you will feel which is bigger in a second.

What y'alls GMP is like 180B? Ours is like 405B?

No contest there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City