Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando or Dallas?
Orlando 50 42.74%
Dallas 67 57.26%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:44 PM

239 posts, read 509,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Because Orlando is such a huge tourist destination, it has amenities that you would normally find in a metro double it's size. Besides Las Vegas, no metro Orlandos size comes close to Orlandos shopping, dinning, and entertainment. That's why I like Orlando, you get big city amenities in a mid sized city environent. Plus its 45 mins away from the coast so you can enjoy the beaches but also have a significantly lower hurricane risk.
^^ Very true. For a city it's size Orlando does have a lot to offer. Dallas is alright, nothing special to me though but that doesn't mean it isn't a good city, just my preference. For one it is very business friendly. I can see it being a good metro to raise a family because it offers many amenities and has a reasonable COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 01:03 AM

233 posts, read 530,797 times
Dallas in general didn't do much for me, although University Park was very nice. When most people think of Orlando, they think of the exurb areas around Disney World. I did too until I actually ventured further into Orlando which was surprising really nice. Tons of lakes, lots of trees with Spanish moss, and surprisingly alot of historic homes and cobble stone streets. The downtown area isn't huge but very nice and much more walkable and charming than Dallas. Anyone who google streetviews downtown Orlando, Thornton Park, the neighborhoods surrounding downtown, and especially Winter Park- one of the nicest suburbs in the country imo, will be surprised. I'd also pick Orlando over Tampa and definitely Jacksonville.

Last edited by sofla951; 05-25-2012 at 01:12 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
Dallas in general didn't do much for me, although University Park was very nice. When most people think of Orlando, they think of the exurb areas around Disney World. I did too until I actually ventured further into Orlando which was surprising really nice. Tons of lakes, lots of trees with Spanish moss, and surprisingly alot of historic homes and cobble stone streets. The downtown area isn't huge but very nice and much more walkable and charming than Dallas. Anyone who google streetviews downtown Orlando, Thornton Park, the neighborhoods surrounding downtown, and especially Winter Park- one of the nicest suburbs in the country imo, will be surprised. I'd also pick Orlando over Tampa and definitely Jacksonville.
This is so true. Almost any time I tell someone I go to school in Orlando, they ask me how many times I have been to Disney. I haven't gone at all since I started school there, though I went when I was younger. Disney technically isn't even in Orlando; it's in Celebration.

Also, who likes Jacksonville? I NEVER hear anything good about it. It's probably biggest letdown in Florida IMO...

Old 05-25-2012, 06:21 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Oh really my grandmothers side of the family lives im Tavares FL but anyway I choose Dallas. Orlando is a cool place to visit but not live. Out of all the places I have visited in my 21 years on this earth Orlando was my favorite. They have some great hotels.

I was about to say that was really sad... but then you're only 21. When you travel a bit more I think you'll realize how silly that statement is. Not to mention judging a destination by the hotel you stay in is pretty nonsensical, all major cities have 5 star hotels, it's what's happening outside your hotel that differentiates Orlando from far more interesting cities.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:53 AM

159 posts, read 428,441 times
I'd chose 'neither' because I think both places are pretty awful, but, if forced, it'd be Orlando simply because the weather is more interesting, and the beach is closer.

I can't begin to grasp what people find compelling about the interior Texas cities, and Dallas is far and away the worst offender. The land is flat, the weather is hot, the scenery is the epitome of bland -- *shudder.* Sorry. I need to be surrounded by a bit more of anything (mountains, ocean, forests, etc.) than the Big D can offer. I firmly believe that most of the people who live in Dallas -- and central Texas overall -- do so because they're so soulless that exposure to something too stirring might damage them.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
I'd chose 'neither' because I think both places are pretty awful, but, if forced, it'd be Orlando simply because the weather is more interesting, and the beach is closer.

I can't begin to grasp what people find compelling about the interior Texas cities, and Dallas is far and away the worst offender. The land is flat, the weather is hot, the scenery is the epitome of bland -- *shudder.* Sorry. I need to be surrounded by a bit more of anything (mountains, ocean, forests, etc.) than the Big D can offer. I firmly believe that most of the people who live in Dallas -- and central Texas overall -- do so because they're so soulless that exposure to something too stirring might damage them.
Ill grant you that Dallas is not surrounded by a very pretty landscape and the prarie and plains are not aesthetically pleasing, but that is a freaking insulting post.

Youre trying to say that the 6.6 million people who live in the Dallas area are all souless? I would be more inclined to say that people who would make a statement like that are clueless. Its one of the most diverse metro areas in the US. Lots of people of all kinds of people live here.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
orlando....

the city itself has a lot going for it thanks to all those tourists seeking out the mouse but on top of that you can drive to the beach a lot quicker than you can in dallas....

Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Slam dunk BIG D, fla's idea of a tourist based economy makes jobs scarce. Im not living any place I cant find work in an interesting field

Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Tough call.
I said Orlando.
Can day-hop it to Tampa Bay or Jacksonville.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post

I find your post really hard to believe, so your saying over 12 million people that live between DFW & San Antonio are soul less. Also Austin and San Antonio are not flat for the most part they have hills & lakes and is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. You should visit central Texas you will be surprise to see how much scenery we really have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City