Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but you have been notorious for trying to distance yourself from anything remotely "black". What makes you feel like you are qualified to speak on this subject when you admit that you're not "culturally" black? I don't have a problem with you personally, and I hope you don't take what I'm saying as a personal attack, but from what I've heard, your perspective of a lot of things is more of a white perspective. You mean well, like a lot of whites do, but still don't quite understand.
I'm not offended at all. I'll admit that I "don't quite understand," and that my perspective is like that of many whites. I'm sorry if I've come off as judgmental or uninformed. However, being part black, I think I can at least comment on black issues. I'm not racist at all, and I certainly don't want to come off as racist.

Quote:
How does slaverly mean that there was no history? I'm not sure what you meant by that. I think it's silly to think that the region that has been MAJORITY...not a plurality, but MAJORITY black for hundreds of years now isn't the cradle of black culture. Yes, it went other places and flourished, and it's all important, but the roots of the majority of African-Americans go back to that region, for good or bad.
I'm not denying that the South has African-American history. I'm just saying that slavery (and subsequent segregation) limited the impact that black culture could have had on the area. Meanwhile, the North allowed blacks a chance at freedom and equal rights, something the South didn't do until they were forced to by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, an act that many (white) Southerners opposed. Maybe my "non-cultural-blackness" is showing again, but I don't see why so many blacks would want to align themselves with a region that historically has treated them like trash.

Quote:
By the way, the south didn't "give" us slavery. The first state to legalize it was a new england state, I can't remember which one but I'm pretty sure it was Mass. This ENTIRE country has the blood of minorities splattered across its history pages. The south is merely a convenient scapegoat to save face in my opinion.
True. No part of America is entirely free of racial injustice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
lol @ the amount of southerners with an inferiority complex. i was trying to avoid derailing the thread further but apparently i'm going to have to respond.

lol @ calling me stupid because i'd rather live in a place with higher wages even if the cost of living is higher. the amount of opportunity in nyc beats out what you can get in most places in the country. do what works for you tho.

around here, my fam? we work for nbc, the daily news, mtv, etc. we are personal assistants for moguls, work at record labels, etc.

i'd rather do that. sometimes you get what you pay for.

the job market across the board is atrocious. ny works for me but might not work for somebody else and thats cool...but lol @ us having to have the same opinions and experiences that everybody else has in order to satisfy southerners with an inferiority complex.

you don't like ppl from the north's opinions on the south? either ignore it or do something about it. the south is seen and often mentioned when talking about certain topics for a reason.

obviously a city like atl is more of an exception to the rule.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 PM
eek

Quote:
I haven't lived there myself, but I've spent a significant time there over the years. My father's side of the family is bajan and have been there since the 60s (though more and more have made the move to Texas as time went on). So between my own observations while I'm there, what I've heard from my family, and what I've read in my studies of African-American history, it's safe to say that new york blacks have tried to distance themselves from southern blacks. Family or not.
this is your personal opinion and i can respect that. i disagree, being a nyer with southerners in my family and having lived in the south and having a girlfriend (who has two kids) from the south.

your experience is different than mine and thats cool.
Quote:
Don't question him. He's Mr. all-knowing northerner and he's trying to teach these here po' southern folks a thing or two about the world.
this is where i have a problem. i never disrespected you at all.

i definitely never said you were poor or used a stereotype to describe you personally so why would you act childish and say what you said above?

inferiority complex, much?

just like you have your experiences, i have mine. if i hadn't experienced what i have in the south then i wouldn't have the thoughts that i have about the south, good or bad.

what have you experienced living in nyc?

or have you..? oh ok then.

how you got me trying to teach you anything about the world out of my posts is beyond me. you ppl, you ppl meaning like all three of you, took something out of my posts that was never said. thats fine, thats what insecure ppl do.

thats not my problem, tho.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
Are you stupid ? Do you realize that New York is one of the most expensive places to live? You are you an idiot if you think getting paid more there actually gives you a better or even equal quality of life. This is just dumb.
if i was stupid then i wouldn't be as unintelligent as you are to ask me a question about the cost of living in ny when i'm born and raised in ny and have lived both in and outside of ny and outside of this country and have repeatedly said that in my posts.

do you have the ability to comprehend what you read?

i think i know a thing or two about the quality of life, having lived in multiple regions in this country.

i know what i prefer and i know why i prefer it.

i'm aware of how many nyers buy into the notion of lower costs of living down south and when they realize that the grass isn't greener on the other side they also realize that they are stuck living down south due to their lower wages and/or that house they bought for cheap.

thats when they start complaining and thats why you have ppl like some of the ppl on cd complaining about nyers in the south that complain about how bad the south is to southerners in the south.

sometimes you get what you pay for. its bigger than that, but thats another topic.

i'd rather make my close to six figures here and pay 1200-1400 or so a month in rent than make 35-45k (give or take) doing the same ish and pay 600-700/month in rent in the south, easily. the price of gas, lack of adequate public transportation, maintenance on a vehicle, lack of things to do, etc. are not for me. been there done that.

have you ever tried living in nyc tho?

ppl paying the same amount that we would here to get on a bus or a train to go to nowhere there. you pay maybe half of what i'd pay for rent but i look outside and see all kinds of activity. i have access to manhattan. you look outside and its quiet. you have access to manhattan...via orbitz/priceline or a ____ hour car ride.

its a choice. some things work for some ppl and other things work for other ppl.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
this is your personal opinion and i can respect that. i disagree, being a nyer with southerners in my family and having lived in the south and having a girlfriend (who has two kids) from the south.

your experience is different than mine and thats cool.
this is where i have a problem. i never disrespected you at all.

i definitely never said you were poor or used a stereotype to describe you personally so why would you act childish and say what you said above?

inferiority complex, much?

just like you have your experiences, i have mine. if i hadn't experienced what i have in the south then i wouldn't have the thoughts that i have about the south, good or bad.

what have you experienced living in nyc?

or have you..? oh ok then.

how you got me trying to teach you anything about the world out of my posts is beyond me. you ppl, you ppl meaning like all three of you, took something out of my posts that was never said. thats fine, thats what insecure ppl do.

thats not my problem, tho.
Come on now.Don't play the "victim".What do you expect when you say things that are negative associated with ones home of residence or birth?How would you like to be called "backwards"?.I should hope you realize that just like anywhere else people with dignity,pride and self esteem will always resent those who would try to paint them with a wide brush.Fairness is one thing but that what you have said is not keeping it real.You make exceptions for behavior in your own neck of the woods.You got called out on it and you never bothered to answer my rebuttal because basically what you said was not dependable.It was pure prejudice.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:46 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Come on now.Don't play the "victim".What do you expect when you say things that are negative associated with ones home of residence or birth?How would you like to be called "backwards"?.I should hope you realize that just like anywhere else people with dignity,pride and self esteem will always resent those who would try to paint them with a wide brush.Fairness is one thing but that what you have said is not keeping it real.You make exceptions for behavior in your own neck of the woods.You got called out on it and you never bothered to answer my rebuttal because basically what you said was not dependable.It was pure prejudice.
na, i'm definitely not playing "victim." please.

reread what i said in that post and take it in context to what i was responding to.

before ppl call out ppl they need to read posts instead of skimming them.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 PM
eek

lets go back tho. lets see the original post i responding to and lets look at my response:

Quote:
Many of them(especially)blacks are really ignorant to what the South is culturally.Maybe a lot of that has to do with the West Indian backgrounds.
They just see the South as being "backwards" because its not like NYC.
OH. i got it. YOU are the original person to mention the south as being backwards.

and this is my response to what YOU said:

Quote:

there are cultural differences but instead of agreeing that things can be different and thats ok, a lot of ppl would rather divide, as seen in this thread.

i think in many ways that the SOME of the south is backwards, to be honest. just my observations based on experiences. i have fam in south carolina, for example, and IMHO, south carolina in many ways is a backwards state.

with that said, i keep it honest. nyc is a corrupt city in many ways, IMO. i'll call a spade a spade.

when you come from a city with damn near everything in it culturally (for example my borough alone is the most diverse county in the country and one of the most diverse areas in the entire world), and you go to a different city and you, read this clearly, and you go expecting things to be like it is where you are from, you set yourself up for failure.

atlanta is atlanta. atlanta is not ny. ny is ny. ny isn't atlanta. let atlanta be atlanta.
OOOOOH. so that is what i said. i see now.

that means that i, eek, think that the entire south is backwards and that you're all a bunch of toothless hicks. thats what i get out of my response post, don't you?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
if i was stupid then i wouldn't be as unintelligent as you are to ask me a question about the cost of living in ny when i'm born and raised in ny and have lived both in and outside of ny and outside of this country and have repeatedly said that in my posts.

do you have the ability to comprehend what you read?

i think i know a thing or two about the quality of life, having lived in multiple regions in this country.

i know what i prefer and i know why i prefer it.

i'm aware of how many nyers buy into the notion of lower costs of living down south and when they realize that the grass isn't greener on the other side they also realize that they are stuck living down south due to their lower wages and/or that house they bought for cheap.

thats when they start complaining and thats why you have ppl like some of the ppl on cd complaining about nyers in the south that complain about how bad the south is to southerners in the south.

sometimes you get what you pay for. its bigger than that, but thats another topic.

i'd rather make my close to six figures here and pay 1200-1400 or so a month in rent than make 35-45k (give or take) doing the same ish and pay 600-700/month in rent in the south, easily. the price of gas, lack of adequate public transportation, maintenance on a vehicle, lack of things to do, etc. are not for me. been there done that.

have you ever tried living in nyc tho?

ppl paying the same amount that we would here to get on a bus or a train to go to nowhere there. you pay maybe half of what i'd pay for rent but i look outside and see all kinds of activity. i have access to manhattan. you look outside and its quiet. you have access to manhattan...via orbitz/priceline or a ____ hour car ride.

its a choice. some things work for some ppl and other things work for other ppl.
See what you fail to realize is that the MAJORITY of Americans do not want to live in NYC!!Most would rather live somewhat closer to what Atlanta is than NYC.Meaning more of a suburban thing.The ONLY downside to most cities in the South is public transportation.If Atlanta had something as extensive as NYC..It would be all over.Just look where Atlanta is now.You know as well as I do,that there is no other city in America that NY'er love to hate.Thats the ATL.As you know the Atl is the number one location for NY'ers leaving .

Those who stay behind are the "diehards".The extreme haters.

Someone every day in NYC mentions ATlanta.Can you imagine a city barley one tenth the size getting so much buzz(bad or good)

(In the North)I have lived in NYC(Briefly),Jersey,Delaware,and Philly.I tried it.It was ok but not worth it for me.Its all about the relationships.I have good people here and even in some cities much smaller.As long as I got good people I don't need constant stimulation that NY offers.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:11 PM
eek

Quote:
See what you fail to realize is that the MAJORITY of Americans do not want to live in NYC!!Most would rather live somewhat closer to what Atlanta is than NYC.Meaning more of a suburban thing.The ONLY downside to most cities in the South is public transportation.If Atlanta had something as extensive as NYC..It would be all over.Just look where Atlanta is now.You know as well as I do,that there is no other city in America that NY'er love to hate.Thats the ATL.As you know the Atl is the number one location for NY'ers leaving .
see, what you fail to realize is that i never said nor implied that the majority of americans want to live in nyc.

did i ever say that? hold on, this is what i said exactly:

Quote:

ny isn't for everybody and neither are states in the south. it is what it is.

nyers don't care enough about atlanta to hate it to be honest
. nobody talks about atl here. nobody. nobody really talks about any other city here outside of maybe jersey city or long island...

Quote:

Those who stay behind are the "diehards".The extreme haters.

Someone every day in NYC mentions ATlanta.Can you imagine a city barley one tenth the size getting so much buzz(bad or good)
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

negro please.

you are definitely feeling yourself but thats cool. do you. lets go in this direction tho. lets say you are right. wouldn't you be happier if nyers stayed in ny so that you wouldn't have to hear them complain about your city and tell you what your city doesn't have and how bad it is to your face?

Quote:
(In the North)I have lived in NYC(Briefly),Jersey,Delaware,and Philly.I tried it.It was ok but not worth it for me.Its all about the relationships.I have good people here and even in some cities much smaller.As long as I got good people I don't need constant stimulation that NY offers.
and thats fine! cool! like i have said before and like i will continue to say, ny isn't for everybody. do you.

you only live one time; why live some place that you aren't going to be happy in?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
lets go back tho. lets see the original post i responding to and lets look at my response:

OH. i got it. YOU are the original person to mention the south as being backwards.

and this is my response to what YOU said:

OOOOOH. so that is what i said. i see now.

that means that i, eek, think that the entire south is backwards and that you're all a bunch of toothless hicks. thats what i get out of my response post, don't you?
Oh I guess now Im STUPID because I cannot rememebr so you gotta repost things.Oh ok I see how it is!!( im joking)

But for real,I am aware of when and what was said.I think you forget that you also said:

Quote:
a few reasons why i feel the south are backwards are the low wages, the amount of ppl that are content with the status quo of that, lack of unions, lack of progression, lack of questioning political parties/representatives, lack of attention paid by the youth towards local and state govt, liberalism seen as something disgusting without questioning why (generalization), sprawl everywhere, neglect of downtowns, lack of adequate public transportation (highways are nice...but thats the past), etc. etc.

not to mention some of the racism i encountered there (again yes i know there is racism in the north. this isn't a north vs south thing). i just feel like in the corporate world in the south that there's a good ol boy mentality and if you don't fit that environment then you "have a place" that "ppl try to put you in.
Then you went on about why.So I countered those points in a very fair way.You obviously don't see how your views are definitely shaped by your environment.You have your opinions,but don't act as though you are not biased because you really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City