Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:36 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove;
LOL, I did get what you were saying, but the majority of things people say about Houston are far from the truth. Most are not even familiar with the place. I know that nowhere isn't the bees knees for everyone, but a lot on here just seem to think the sunbelt cities are inferior to everywhere else
You're right HTown, Houston is a great place that's held it's own for some time now. These types of attacks are more personal than anything else. Just wait until you reach CD celebrity status with stalkers (or suitors as I coin them) who follow you around and such.

Their like the paparazzi of CD!

Consider it a form of flattery; this means you may be ready for the red carpet!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
honestly i think its the fact that a lot of ppl can't fathom a texas city rising into the "big league" group of cities in the u.s.

maybe a lot of ppl on CD are visual learners and need to see it for themselves before they give houston the respect the OP feels it deserves.

*plays magno*
I think so too. Hollywood has portrayed us as horse riding (I am scared of horses btw), George Bush John Wayne, Howdy Partner type of people. A visitor from Montreal told me when he got here that he was surprised to find that we had paved roads.

BUt I also think that a lot of people on here say things just to start crap

Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
You're right HTown, Houston is a great place that's held it's own for some time now. Most of these types of attacks are personal than anything else.

Just wait until you reach CD celebrity status with stalkers (or suitors as I coin them) who follow you around and such. Their like the paparazzi of CD!

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/33436/original/guysinreallife.jpg (broken link)

There are no girls on the internet. Period. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
You're right HTown, Houston is a great place that's held it's own for some time now. Most of these types of attacks are personal than anything else.

Just wait until you reach CD celebrity status with stalkers (or suitors as I coin them) who follow you around and such. Their like the paparazzi of CD!

I don't think I will reach celebrity status; I have too much of a big mouth, see

But I did have a certain fellow from Philly follow me from thread to thread about a month ago, but I think a Mod may have given him a nice talking to, so he has stayed away

Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

There are no girls on the internet. Period. How many times do I have to repeat myself?
Don't make me lift my skirt, you may need an eye patch afterwards

Old 09-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Let them have those ideas about Houston. I can tell that you really love the city, and want to share all its good aspects with as many people as possible because you want to show them this "great thing" that you have that could be theirs.

However, there are just some people, especially on this site, who are beyond any reason. There's no point in wasting energy on people like that, but rather on the people who actually want a discussion. That's why the "ignore" feature is especially helpful, because after a while, you realize its the same people over and over again parroting the same line. That's their life.

I enjoy this site as a hobby, because I love traveling, love geography, love demographics, love statistics, love urban planning, love history, love politics, etc etc. Even if there is only ONE person worth posting responses back to on CD, it still makes it worthwhile.

For the record, I wish my city had a Texaplex advantage. The only Texaplex advantage is having the Texaplex's population stuffed into a much smaller space. And that's not really much of an advantage.
actually some of the hard headed ones are funny. They are so clueless that a lot of what they say is just funny.

Oh and why would you want a Texaplex?? With exception of the NE, none of the megalopolises are as cohesive now. We will see in 40 years .
I think the cities in the triangle should maintain the same boundaries they have right now and to those, add about 5 or 6M more people. I would hate to see these areas fill up. The drive from Houston to SA is so beautiful in the spring with the miles and miles of Texas Wild flowers, and the Texas Hill Country is also pretty. Would hate to see that area overly developed

Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove;
I don't think I will reach celebrity status; I have too much of a big mouth, see

But I did have a certain fellow from Philly follow me from thread to thread about a month ago, but I think a Mod may have given him a nice talking to, so he has stayed away
LOL, join the club!
I have a pretty decent fan base that follow me around like my little pets. They simply want to pay homage, so I let them.

I try and send thank you cards *grin* but it's getting more and more expensive as my star shines brighter and brighter.lol

Pay the nitwits no mind as I've quickly learned to.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Don't make me lift my skirt, you may need an eye patch afterwards

One question...pre or post op? Well, either way, I'd still be shocked, DUDE

Quote:
actually some of the hard headed ones are funny. They are so clueless that a lot of what they say is just funny.

Oh and why would you want a Texaplex?? With exception of the NE, none of the megalopolises are as cohesive now. We will see in 40 years .
I think the cities in the triangle should maintain the same boundaries they have right now and to those, add about 5 or 6M more people. I would hate to see these areas fill up. The drive from Houston to SA is so beautiful in the spring with the miles and miles of Texas Wild flowers, and the Texas Hill Country is also pretty. Would hate to see that area overly developed
The name sounds cool. And what city WOULDN'T want some Texaplex advantages? I should've been a good kid and asked for them from Santa (if I believed in him, but of course I never did because I'm sure he doesn't deliver to non-Christians ).

Personally speaking, I like California WAY MORE outside of California's cities than I do within them. I have a feeling, in a past lifetime, I was a European explorer or a naturalist of some sort. Adding another 18 million people without any sort of management mechanism of our resources (and infrastructure maintenance) would be a disaster.

All of Texas has been rapidly changing right before our very eyes. I think Houston has a lot to be proud of itself. Don't worry, soon your city will be overflowing with overseas tourists, and you too will learn the art of "not knowing English" at the right times

Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:

One question...pre or post op? Well, either way, I'd still be shocked, DUDE

Quote:
The name sounds cool. And what city WOULDN'T want some Texaplex advantages? I should've been a good kid and asked for them from Santa (if I believed in him, but of course I never did because I'm sure he doesn't deliver to non-Christians ).
Ha ha. I am a non-christian, and Santa has always been good to me

Quote:
Personally speaking, I like California WAY MORE outside of California's cities than I do within them. I have a feeling, in a past lifetime, I was a European explorer or a naturalist of some sort. Adding another 18 million people without any sort of management mechanism of our resources (and infrastructure maintenance) would be a disaster.
Yeah my favorite trips are by car (just as long as I am not the one driving) because America is so nice outside the cities. I don't think the NM cities are for me, but driving through NM is such an experience.

Quote:

All of Texas has been rapidly changing right before our very eyes. I think Houston has a lot to be proud of itself. Don't worry, soon your city will be overflowing with overseas tourists, and you too will learn the art of "not knowing English" at the right times
I don't think we have to worry about tourist anytime soon, we developed two plans to keep them away.

Plan one: put all major attractions including the airport far away from the rest of the city (Kemah, NASA, Moody Gardens, etc)

Plan two: Shut down anything the tourists might find fun (Six Flags, etc)

There you go Tourist, y'all come back now, yer hear!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Houston vs the haters.

Why does everyone hate on Houston. People talk about it like it is not on the same level with certain cities, some of which, Houston has far outshined.

Houston is the 4th Largest city in the US with a population over 2M. Only 4 other cities can say they have accomplished that.
points to NY, Philadelphia, Chicago, LA and Houston

Houston is the 5th largest metro in the US with a population over 6M. Only 5 other Metros can claim that. Points to NY, Chicago, LA, DFW, Houston and Phily.

Houston has a GMP over 400Billion. Only NY, Chicago and LA has GMP's higher

Houston is also the home to more F500 companies than any other city except NY

The City of Houston has two of the top 45 busiest airports in the Country. Only NY, Chicago, and DC can also claim that.

The Southeast Texas port region(with the port of Houston leading the way)
is the busiest port system in the US, and the 9th busiest in the world.
The Port of Houston is the busiest port in the US in terms of Foreign tonnage.

The World's largest Medical Center is in Houston.
Top Notch biomedical research is performed there, and The MD Anderson Cancer Center is constantly ranked the number one hospital for cancer. (Ahead of Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins). MD Anderson is also ranked #6 for Ear nose and throat related problems and #10for urology

The Texas Heart Institute is ranked #4 in the Country for Heart related illnesses

The Menninger Clinic is ranked #5 for Psychiatry..

and the List goes on.
The Med Center is also home to many excellent Universities such as Baylor College of Medicine which is ranked No. 1 in the US for Molecular & Cellular Biology; Molecular and Human Genetics; and Pediatrics, ranked number 2 in the US for Biochemistry and number 8 for Neurosciences

The Johnson Space Center in Houston is home to mission control, which coordinates and monitors all human spaceflight for the United States, and directs all Space Shuttle missions and activities aboard the International Space Station.
Johnson Space Center also leads NASA’s flight-related scientific and medical research programs. Technologies developed for spaceflight are now in use in many areas of medicine, energy, transportation, agriculture, communications and electronics.

Houston is one of the few cities in the US with permanent, professional, resident companies in all major art disciplines (Theater, Opera, Symphony, Orchestra and Ballet). It is also home to the 2nd highest concentration of Theater seats in the US. And it achieved all of this without the benefits of having a Rockefeller or a Vanderbilt.

Houston is an awesome City, and has achieved a lot in its relatively short time on the national stage.

I know you all make snide remarks and jokes, but I see it as jealousy. Plain and simple. I rarely hear these remarks from people from cities, like NY, Chicago or LA, because these cities have nothing to prove, but other cities always feel the need to put us down.

Okay, if Houston has not achieved the big leagues what is it missing? What is the big thing preventing it from functioning as a world class City? It is classified as a Beta world City and is rising in the ranks, why does everyone think it should not be mentioned when discussing the US top cities?

People from other cities, why the hate?
Are You Crazy....people of these boards hate Los Angeles
they very rarely even think about Houston , by the way I
like Houston , and this may help you "understand the hate"
Houston is a new kid on the block "and in a Red Neck Area"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City