Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times

Advertisements

This is not a thread of underrated or overrated, but a thread of which cities you think are talked about way too much and which are not?

Overpraised
San Francisco
Washington DC
Seattle

Underpraised
Los Angeles
Phoenix
Houston
San Diego
Miami
Orlando
Las Vegas
and pretty much any city not mentioned in the "overpraised" category.

Your turn.

Last edited by Bo; 09-08-2010 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Thread is discussing competitive comparisons and not useful for folks relocating. Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
You could of just said,

Overpraised: SF
Underpraised: LA & SD
~

Overpraised: NYC, SF, SD, Seattle
Underpraised: Every other city.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You could of just said,

Overpraised: SF
Underpraised: LA & SD
~

Overpraised: SD
Underpraised: Every other city.

You are kidding right? Just look at the "world cup thread" no one is praising SD except me.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Overpraised:
NYC, Boston, SF, seattle, DC, portland, chicago, charlotte, NJ (the whole state except camden).

Underpraised:
Baltimore, Philly, LA, VA Beach, Anywher in the south

Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Overpraised:
- New York City
- San Francisco
- Philadelphia
- Vancouver
- Chicago
- Seattle
- Boston

I like Seattle and the other cities (cant say I do for Boston) but it is definitely overpraised on these boards.

Underpraised:
- San Antonio
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Anchorage
- Honolulu
- Atlanta
- Tucson
- Denver
- Houston
- Baltimore
- Minneapolis
- Miami
- Dallas
- Phoenix (especially Phoenix)
- Las Vegas (especially Las Vegas)
- The ENTIRE state of New Jersey

I don't know what it is with the desert cities, but everyone always hates on them. They're really nice cities, and so what they're not like Boston or whatever, they're still nice.
I rarely ever see anything good mentioned about the underpraised cities though. Minneapolis gets some here and there but thats about it.

Your turn.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Overpraised:
- San Francisco
- Vancouver
- Seattle
- Boston

I like Seattle (cant say I do for Boston) but it is definitely overpraised on these boards.

Underpraised:
- San Antonio
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Anchorage
- Honolulu
- Atlanta
- Tucson
- Denver
- Houston
- Baltimore
- Minneapolis
- Miami
- Dallas
- Phoenix (especially Phoenix)
- Las Vegas (especially Las Vegas)
- The ENTIRE state of New Jersey

I don't know what it is with the desert cities, but everyone always hates on them. They're really nice cities, and so what they're not like Boston or whatever, they're still nice.
I rarely ever see anything good mentioned about the underpraised cities though. Minneapolis gets some here and there but thats about it.

Your turn.
damn i forgot about phoenix and vegas.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Overpraised:
NYC, Boston, SF, seattle, DC, portland, chicago, charlotte, NJ (the whole state except camden).

Underpraised:
Baltimore, Philly, LA, VA Beach, Anywher in the south
What in the WORLD?
Go look in the "Most bashed states" thread- NJ is among the top 3 being mentioned.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
You are kidding right? Just look at the "world cup thread" no one is praising SD except me.
No I'm not kidding.
They're going at you to get under your skin from what it looks like. You're the one going at SF for existing.

SD gets a lot of love on this site from what I've seen. It's always "sunny, beautiful, beach, safe..." when it comes to SD.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:45 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I guess NYC and San Francisco are overpraised. Under-praised would likely be most cities in the South or Midwest. Particularly Virginia Beach, VA and Raleigh, NC seem to rate high in things like well-being, etc but don't get that much praise so far as I can recall.

Generally I think there's a strong preference for places that have extremely high population density and are located within the 20 to 30 largest metros. Part of this might be well-intended. I think more often than not people don't want to move to densely populated places in the Northeast or California, quite the contrary in fact. So there might be a desire to play-up all the good things about cities like that because enough people want to move to Denver or Houston or whatever all on their own. Those places don't need C-D's encouragement or praise.

Still considering how well their economies are doing right now, and how relatively safe many of them are, I'm sometimes surprised there's not that much praise of the Plains, Iowa, and Minnesota. Although there is some and they do have the disadvantage of maybe not being hyper-dense and huge.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Homers overpraise Atlanta, Los Angeles, and New York the most. In general Houston, Miami, and Philadelphia seem underpraised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City