Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most liberal metro among the big 4 in the South
Atlanta 98 32.89%
Miami 160 53.69%
Dallas 15 5.03%
Houston 25 8.39%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:24 PM

99 posts, read 117,013 times

Advertisements

I am currently doing a road trip through the US and have been driving through and halting in the majority of the Southern Metros spending some time in each of them. I have noticed some similarities and some differences between them and it had me thinking, in your opinion which city is the most liberal in the South. The four major metros I have covered are:-

1. Atlanta
2. Dallas
3. Houston
4. Miami

I have covered some other metros like Raleigh and Charlotte but they are too small to compare to the above 4 metros.

I am posting my observations below.

From my observation I felt that Atlanta was the most liberal. Lots of interracial couples(mostly Black and White with some Asians and Hispanics) and a huge LGBT population. I didn't travel outside the perimeter but I was told that the Northern suburbs and exurbs are very conservative and mostly White and Asian(Korean, Indian).

Miami - The next liberal city I felt after Atlanta. Miami Beach area seemed very liberal. Huge South American and Cuban populations but in general the vibe seemed to be a bit closed like Cubans dating Cubans and people sticking to their own race or country of origin. Some of the first generation immigrants I felt were very racist and prejudiced against LGBT crowd and seemed to carry the South American attitude where the lighter skinned people are thought be more attractive and the darker skinned people were less attractive.

Dallas and Houston I felt were the most conservative. I observed very few interracial couples and I didn't see a big LGBT presence.

These are just my observations and I wanted to see if the crowd in general feels the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Politically liberal would probably be Miami and personally liberal (anything goes) would be New Orleans.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:39 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Houston is conservative, but Dallas is even more so. Well, I'll say the metroplex is moreso than Greater Houston.

Fort Worth, whew chile! I couldn't grasp how a city that big to be so conservative.

Atlanta, the city, is not that conservative. Even in the wealthiest areas, most are conservbrials at most.

Now once you gets outside the city limits (especially to the north) oh they conservative. And don't try pushing your little gay agenda off on them unless you ready to fight.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:49 AM

275 posts, read 416,262 times
I don't think the apparent presence of interracial couples and LGBTs is the best metric for gauging how progressive a metro area is.

It's true that Miami and Atlanta largely vote Democratic but I think that has more to do with their diverse populations and the perceived xenophobia of the Republican Party right now. I've never felt like the people in either Atlanta or Miami are that progressive. Not nearly as progressive as other parts of the country anyway.

With their suburban sprawl and car culture, Atlanta and Miami have to be the some of the least green cities. People are also pretty religious in Atlanta and Miami, especially the blacks and Latinos that live there. There's a lot of conspicuous consumption in Atlanta and Miami -- a lot of people living in McMansions driving sports cars. That kind of ostentatious behavior is faux pas in the more liberal cities of the north and west. Miami and Atlanta have a lot more politically in common with Dallas and Houston.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:59 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
It's true that Miami and Atlanta largely vote Democratic but I think that has more to do with their diverse populations and the perceived xenophobia of the Republican Party right now. I've never felt like the people in either Atlanta or Miami are that progressive. Not nearly as progressive as other parts of the country anyway.
I'm sorry, but I hate this attitude that a lot of people have on City Data - that blacks and Latinos aren't "real liberals" for some reason.

There have been tons of studies of the stance on issues of blacks and Latinos. Blacks are generally in opposition to SSM still, and Latinos are generally slightly anti-abortion. But otherwise they tend to be pretty much across the board left leaning. This includes everything from social issues (opposed to capital punishment, in favor of gun control) to economic issues (tend to be far more left-leaning than even the typical white Democrat).

Old 06-29-2015, 08:03 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sorry, but I hate this attitude that a lot of people have on City Data - that blacks and Latinos aren't "real liberals" for some reason.

There have been tons of studies of the stance on issues of blacks and Latinos. Blacks are generally in opposition to SSM still, and Latinos are generally slightly anti-abortion. But otherwise they tend to be pretty much across the board left leaning. This includes everything from social issues (opposed to capital punishment, in favor of gun control) to economic issues (tend to be far more left-leaning than even the typical white Democrat).
And even the sorta true stereotypes about Black folks being anti-SSM and Latino being anti-abortion are true in the urban areas of Atlanta and Miami.

In Atlanta this past Friday for example, about an hour after the Supreme Court ruling, the first same sex couple to be married in Georgia was in Downtown Atlanta and was between two Black lesbians by a Jewish judge. That's about as liberal as you can get.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:42 AM

99 posts, read 117,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
I don't think the apparent presence of interracial couples and LGBTs is the best metric for gauging how progressive a metro area is.

With their suburban sprawl and car culture, Atlanta and Miami have to be the some of the least green cities. People are also pretty religious in Atlanta and Miami, especially the blacks and Latinos that live there. There's a lot of conspicuous consumption in Atlanta and Miami -- a lot of people living in McMansions driving sports cars. That kind of ostentatious behavior is faux pas in the more liberal cities of the north and west. Miami and Atlanta have a lot more politically in common with Dallas and Houston.
Probably true about the suburbs of Atlanta and Miami but that's how most of the suburbs are even for the cities int the North or the West. I lived in LA for a few years and once you cross LA city limits and enter Orange county it's as conservative as it gets with McMansions and cookie cutter subdivisions. I believe the suburbs will always be relatively conservative compared to the city.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Every city on that list has liberal elements and being a member of the LGBT community or a minority in any of those cities will not be an issue.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:16 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USARoadTrip View Post

From my observation I felt that Atlanta was the most liberal. Lots of interracial couples(mostly Black and White with some Asians and Hispanics) and a huge LGBT population. I didn't travel outside the perimeter but I was told that the Northern suburbs and exurbs are very conservative and mostly White and Asian(Korean, Indian).
I wouldn't call the northern suburbs of Atlanta "very" conservative until you go all the way to the more rural exurbs of Forsyth or Bartow counties. The closer-in northern suburbs are more conservative than the city of Atlanta, but I would call them moderate by comparison. When you get a taste of REAL conservatism by going further out it's easy to see.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Houston is conservative, but Dallas is even more so. Well, I'll say the metroplex is moreso than Greater Houston.

Fort Worth, whew chile! I couldn't grasp how a city that big to be so conservative.

Atlanta, the city, is not that conservative. Even in the wealthiest areas, most are conservbrials at most.

Now once you gets outside the city limits (especially to the north) oh they conservative. And don't try pushing your little gay agenda off on them unless you ready to fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City