Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Minneapolis, MN 254 70.56%
Kansas City, MO 106 29.44%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 08:48 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times

Advertisements

I could easily make a case for KC here in many facets. If factoring in University of Kansas Bball, likely equal on a sports watching front.

KC's museum scene at very least equals, and possibly even surpasses that of Minneapolis. However, on culture added in, Minny might come out on top. KC is situated pretty well for road trips to the Rockies, while still itself being in what strikes me as a comfortable setting. Minnesota wins summers for sure but KC Wins winters.

I think the big edge here for Minny would be the amount of park space and nature access. I'm sure KC isn't bad in this regard, but Minny is among the leaders, and for me personally, being from Cleveland, I love the Great Lakes aesthetic (plus in Cleveland's case, terrain). Minny doesn't have a ton of terrain, but I'd wager it has more than KC. And I have to say the North Shore probably beats the Ozarks as a weekend destination, though both are nice

Edit: I see one poster said KC is somewhat hilly. Pics of nature/terrain close to the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 10:13 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
We get about 55" of snow a winter here in Minneapolis, so maybe "less" snowfall doesn't mean much.

Really, every single winter seems to be atypical the last 15 years or so. One year we'll get 90" of snow (winter 2010-11), and the next we'll get essentially zero snow (2011-12). Another winter will be brutally cold and dip below zero several dozens of times, and the next it may only go below zero a handful of nights.

But yeah, no matter how they toss the dice, it gets cold here. People deal with it.
Being from northern Vermont, it wouldn't be a problem for me. Minneapolis-St.Paul area is looking better and better every day. A nice metro area that really on the upswing right now..

Old 08-30-2015, 05:03 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I could easily make a case for KC here in many facets. If factoring in University of Kansas Bball, likely equal on a sports watching front.
Huh? First of all, you're talking about a program that isn't located in either the Kansas City MSA or its CSA. Not only does the UofM, which is actually in Minneapolis (and St. Paul) have basketball, but Big Ten football AND hockey. Both the Big Ten and Big 12 have solid programs so I won't go there. As far as hockey is concerned, the Twin Cities CSA has two D-1 programs and IMO, college hockey is much more entertaining than college basketball and I grew up a basketball guy. Finally, the Minneapolis area has the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, WNBA, and will soon have MLS. So no, the two areas are not equal. KC does have a great fan base though.

Quote:
I think the big edge here for Minny would be the amount of park space and nature access.
Minneapolis has the edge in many other areas as well. Again, it's not really close.

Last edited by YIMBY; 08-30-2015 at 05:22 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 08:09 PM

I guess that would be open to debate, and completely objective, I've never really been where college hockey has been on, and so I've never had an opportunity to follow it. It is apparently about 40 minutes from Downtown KC to Allen Fieldhouse, though I've never driven it, that is well within the range that someone could attend many games throughout a season, season ticketholder or otherwise. There's a reason that the CBE (College Basketball Experience Museum) is located in KC. I actually think that March Madness is the single most exciting point on the sports calendar, but, different strokes for different folks. As far as Big 10-Big 12, I'd agree they're about equal, with possibly a slight edge going to the Big 10, but still, it's hard to deny that KU Basketball enjoys a level of national and even international prominence that is unmatched by very few collegiate athletic programs, UM included. That's a high entertainment value IMO, and a big reason why KC hasn't recently had an NHL or NBA team despite being larger than some metros that do. I do enjoy NHL and would be open to trying College Hockey though, so that would be an plus for Minny.

Again, I'm not saying I don't agree with you, I voted for Minny in the poll. But I can see why, and since there was a big disparity in the poll, was attempting to make the case for how KC can likely at least match Minny in terms of History, Museums, Sports, Weather, Food and Location (for some, not others)

Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
I guess that would be open to debate, and completely objective, I've never really been where college hockey has been on, and so I've never had an opportunity to follow it. It is apparently about 40 minutes from Downtown KC to Allen Fieldhouse, though I've never driven it, that is well within the range that someone could attend many games throughout a season, season ticketholder or otherwise. There's a reason that the CBE (College Basketball Experience Museum) is located in KC. I actually think that March Madness is the single most exciting point on the sports calendar, but, different strokes for different folks. As far as Big 10-Big 12, I'd agree they're about equal, with possibly a slight edge going to the Big 10, but still, it's hard to deny that KU Basketball enjoys a level of national and even international prominence that is unmatched by very few collegiate athletic programs, UM included. That's a high entertainment value IMO, and a big reason why KC hasn't recently had an NHL or NBA team despite being larger than some metros that do. I do enjoy NHL and would be open to trying College Hockey though, so that would be an plus for Minny.

Again, I'm not saying I don't agree with you, I voted for Minny in the poll. But I can see why, and since there was a big disparity in the poll, was attempting to make the case for how KC can likely at least match Minny in terms of History, Museums, Sports, Weather, Food and Location (for some, not others)
^seems kinda passive-aggressive

Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 PM

LOL, how so? I don't necessarily do that to **** off the Minny lovers, it's more just that almost every city has characteristics about it that for a significant cross section of the population would be desirable compared to other cities (and weaknesses as well). I think if people aren't able to think critically enough to at least be able to acknowledge that, even if those things aren't for them, then I don't think people are thinking enough.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:41 PM

638 posts, read 623,630 times
Just wanted to clear some things up
Since Kansas City is in Missouri, the area is home to a ton Mizzou fans. There is also a large contingent of Kansas State fans. In short, KU basketball does not dominate the city near as much as the Royals and Chiefs. Their presence 40 miles across the state line has no affect on whether KC will get an NBA team.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 AM

495 posts, read 778,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Huh? First of all, you're talking about a program that isn't located in either the Kansas City MSA or its CSA. Not only does the UofM, which is actually in Minneapolis (and St. Paul) have basketball, but Big Ten football AND hockey. Both the Big Ten and Big 12 have solid programs so I won't go there. As far as hockey is concerned, the Twin Cities CSA has two D-1 programs and IMO, college hockey is much more entertaining than college basketball and I grew up a basketball guy. Finally, the Minneapolis area has the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, WNBA, and will soon have MLS. So no, the two areas are not equal. KC does have a great fan base though.

Minneapolis has the edge in many other areas as well. Again, it's not really close.
Ummm, wrong, Lawrence is included in the Kansas City CSA, just not the MSA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Statistical_Area

With the CSA, Kansas City is 23rd in population, TC's is 14th. So I wouldn't say it's not really close. And WNBA...lol, that's a good one.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:19 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Ummm, wrong, Lawrence is included in the Kansas City CSA, just not the MSA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Statistical_Area

With the CSA, Kansas City is 23rd in population, TC's is 14th. So I wouldn't say it's not really close. And WNBA...lol, that's a good one.
Okay. You caught me. I guess I should have taken a few seconds to look it up. Whatever the case, Minneapolis still has more options when it comes to sports entertainment, including NHL, NBA, WNBA, D-1 hockey and soon to be MLS so, no - it's still not close. As for your attitude towards the WNBA, the majority of the women are probably twice the athlete you ever were / are so tone it down with your sexist opinions. Good day.

Last edited by YIMBY; 08-31-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 02:59 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
WNBA is boring - it doesn't take a "sexist" to make that statement, it's just a lower level of basketball. I mean, are you glued to your tv watching DIII college basketball? Because those teams would smoke the WNBA teams.

However, I agree that TCs have more sporting options overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City