Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

It's nice to experience living in the city when you're single. But when you're raising a family, it's simply no longer practical for the vast majority of folks. There's too much value that suburbs offer which you can't get for the same COL in the city. City living appears to be a temporary phenomenon in people's lives.

And like I suggested, there are no signs in the city limits that tell suburbanites to keep out. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's nice to experience living in the city when you're single. But when you're raising a family, it's simply no longer practical for the vast majority of folks. There's too much value that suburbs offer which you can't get for the same COL in the city. City living appears to be a temporary phenomenon in people's lives.

And like I suggested, there are no signs in the city limits that tell suburbanites to keep out. :-)
COL and schools seem to be the biggest concern. It all depends on what you want in life ultimately. I have neighbors with 2 kids (~3 and ~7 years old). They send their kids to public schools and they have no problems. They claim that they just spend more time with their kids than they probably would with schools in the burbs. They claim they'll never move out and I believe them....however, who knows what will happen in life.

Btw - I think the COL issue is probably a bigger concern for the expensive cities (NYC, Boston, SF, etc.). There are lots of city neighborhoods in lots of cities with people that have kids across this country.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
COL and schools seem to be the biggest concern. It all depends on what you want in life ultimately. I have neighbors with 2 kids (~3 and ~7 years old). They send their kids to public schools and they have no problems. They claim that they just spend more time with their kids than they probably would with schools in the burbs. They claim they'll never move out and I believe them....however, who knows what will happen in life.

Btw - I think the COL issue is probably a bigger concern for the expensive cities (NYC, Boston, SF, etc.). There are lots of city neighborhoods in lots of cities with people that have kids across this country.
Yeah I am pretty much done with the INSIDE city life soon, though I still want to be next to a major city being older and not single. I did that all through my 20's, now 30 and it is just time for something else. I even have a dog now and it isn't exactly fair to him on being in the city.
I think unless you can afford the bigger amenities, nice schools, etc that it would be selfish not to be in the suburbs for your children if you have the chance to. A lot of people do this though, then their kids are going to school with gang members and extremely poor families that have no choice in the matter on where to live.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM

442 posts, read 827,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
A lot of people do this though, then their kids are going to school with extremely poor families that have no choice in the matter on where to live.
Why is this a bad thing? Do poor people have cooties?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Why is this a bad thing? Do poor people have cooties?
No I was just implying they have no choice in the matter. Cities are two different worlds for different levels of affluence. Sending your kid to many CPS schools for instance would be pretty stupid if you had a choice. The urban poor do not have a choice. Do you have any experience in one of the "BIG" urban cities?
Would you want to put a child in this situation
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...across-/print/
If you have the *very easy* in many cases choice to do otherwise? The urban poor do not have choice in the matter for relocation expense, job mobility, etc. They are forced into this life.

It is like Tale of Two Cities... It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Cities can be a dreamworld or a nightmare.

Last edited by grapico; 11-16-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 02:41 PM

25 posts, read 30,985 times
Because we are superior.

When I lived in Manhattan, my life was go glamorous, convenient and five-star. I was in the center of everything.

Going to a screening at the Tribeca Film Festival? Need to buy new Hermes leather goods? Across the street. It's so easy to hop from art gallery to art gallery, having fun and drinking champagne while my suburban friends stare at their big screen TVs like zombies, drooling about about the ongoings of city-folk.

I can walk from Gucci, to Prada to the MET to fabulous restaurants like Le Bernardin or to prestigious art galleries within the span of 15 minutes, my driver can drop me door to door at the world's most premier establishments in under 5 minutes, while you poor unfortunate suburban dwellers have to settle with Wal-Mart and Sears! What do you suburban people even eat? What do you wear? I've never come across eatable food or wearable labels in any suburb I've set foot in. Poor things!

Everything imaginable happens in the city. City living pampers you. To me living in the city is like living at the Four Seasons - luxurious! And living in the center of the Universe (NYC) is just icing on the cake. It is the center of glamor and action, no need to be jealous.

People in the suburbs also dress ugly.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:01 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsf3 View Post
Because we are superior.

When I lived in Manhattan, my life was go glamorous, convenient and five-star. I was in the center of everything.

Going to a screening at the Tribeca Film Festival? Need to buy new Hermes leather goods? Across the street. It's so easy to hop from art gallery to art gallery, having fun and drinking champagne while my suburban friends stare at their big screen TVs like zombies, drooling about about the ongoings of city-folk.

I can walk from Gucci, to Prada to the MET to fabulous restaurants like Le Bernardin or to prestigious art galleries within the span of 15 minutes, my driver can drop me door to door at the world's most premier establishments in under 5 minutes, while you poor unfortunate suburban dwellers have to settle with Wal-Mart and Sears! What do you suburban people even eat? What do you wear? I've never come across eatable food or wearable labels in any suburb I've set foot in. Poor things!

Everything imaginable happens in the city. City living pampers you. To me living in the city is like living at the Four Seasons - luxurious! And living in the center of the Universe (NYC) is just icing on the cake. It is the center of glamor and action, no need to be jealous.

hehe interesting post. I agree

Old 11-16-2010, 03:04 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Because we are superior.

Quote:
ewww... thank God my parents can afford to get me a nice luxury apartment when I move to NYC next month.
So did you live in NYC before and are moving back or was that just some Sex and the City fantasy you posted?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 PM

25 posts, read 30,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So did you live in NYC before and are moving back or was that just some Sex and the City fantasy you posted?
Yes..for the two past summers. K?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
^^^ busted...

And even if they do have some explanation, it's easy to live the good, "sophisticated" life when mommy and daddy are paying the way. I live in the city too but my god... Talk about putting yourself on a pedestal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City