Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs Philadelphia
Chicago 10 58.82%
Philadelphia 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM

13 posts, read 76,198 times

Advertisements

?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Chicago.

Philadelphia is a cool city, but I'm not really into the whole dense and urban thing, but everyone here already knows that because I've said it a lot, and that lifestyle is cool and I do like it half the time but don't want it all the time. If there are some cool suburban or even rural areas in the Philadelphia Metropolitan Area, I would take that over the city itself for sure because that's just what I like more of. I can live in the core of the city, but only for part of the year before it starts feeling like too much for me at least. The exception to me has always been Chicago (and Brooklyn) for the dense and urban because it goes along with the fact that it's my favorite skyline, the architecture that I like which is new and modern all around by image, tall and powerful, and large in size to where its astonishing. Philadelphia's skyline gives me mixed feelings, buildings like the Comcast Center & future ACC Tower are magnificent works of art in my opinion. However, I am just not all too much into the older looking buildings, they give me a dated vibe. I'm just not too much into old and historic architecture, I do prefer seeing some of it for the contrast and variety but not anything more than that, for me its 2011 and I like modernism and the look of futuristic or modern cities regardless of boxy buildings or not (in my opinion).

Philadelphia's skyline though is becoming more modern and I do like that because it will bring Philadelphia more so into the Post Modern Age with sleek, shiny, powerful, tall, & gleaming skylines (in my opinion again). Another thing that I like about Chicago is the accessibility of water taxi's, $2 and its a great trip, take a sandwich and enjoy the atmosphere while getting to your destination and also the fact that Chicago's Loop is more spaced out to where its not as all crammed together, I really like that personally. For me its Chicago, but Philadelphia is an admirable city with lots of positive attributes.

Other things I exceptionally enjoy that made this decision for me were the urban beaches, nothing spells amazing than a beach (without shark attack scares mind you) in a setting where you can see some amazing views of the skyline. It's a total win. Chicago's food scene, probably one of the best all around, and quite enjoyable actually, I would say one of the best in the country and I do enjoy it all around whether its high end dining, or just casual food too. I also like how you don't have to leave the city for much, all around I don't say it too often but its a very great city in its own with some very beautiful architecture.

Last edited by DANNYY; 02-23-2011 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Tweak.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 PM

You should have added a poll.

All pictures taken by i_am_hydrogen, an active member on City-Data, all credit for photography to him for the pictures. The link to the pictures will follow the location title in parenthesis.

Chicago:(http://www.city-data.com/forum/15232976-post6.html)

Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 AM

Another thing I want to point out here is that Chicago is a Midwestern city through and through, not a Northeastern city. People who continuously keep calling it a "Mini New York" are getting the wrong idea of Chicago and what it really can be. Chicago has similarities with New York, yes many but it does not retain the same character, vibe, or energy of New York.

Chicago compared to New York & Philadelphia is more laid back, more spaced out, and to me at least feels like a much younger city than both. Philadelphia like New York has similarities to Chicago but in reality they are pretty different places.

In Chicago, you can get anything and everything besides mountains and surfing, but then again, I don't think most people in Chicago care about surfing either. The downside to Chicago is the winter weather, but in general that's the down side to all of the Frostbelt for those that hate snow and dealing with it, in which case I don't and it doesn't bother me. People say Chicago is isolated, but again Chicago is a city that sells itself as a city, as in people go there and find what they need in the city, there is no need to be zipping to 3 cities down for anything. Most people in Chicago (myself included) normally head to Lake Geneva or such in Wisconsin for a break, once again the only thing the Chicago Metropolitan Area lacks would be mountains and if you can get passed it not having that, you'll find a little bit of anything you need in Chicago with pockets of areas that work at your preferred speed.

I don't know Philadelphia too well to comment on it too much, only been twice and never got to see everything. It's an admirable city, but I probably prefer its suburbs more than the city itself because of what I'm used to in terms of "living" or such. Haha.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
It'd be great if Chicago expanded on and bettered its pedway system to help people deal with the weather. Something like Montreal's underground city would be amazing.

Also, some decent shelters on the L platforms would be good.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:40 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Chicago No problem about Philly, just feelings

Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Chicago No problem about Philly, just feelings
Ah the Daley era has ended, time for Chicago to do work.

Thanks for the article: Rahm Emanuel elected Chicago mayor - USATODAY.com

Old 02-23-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Ah the Daley era has ended, time for Chicago to do work.

Thanks for the article: Rahm Emanuel elected Chicago mayor - USATODAY.com
I don't know many things about Rahm, I hope he will be a good mayor.But business-friendly ? I don't know, I have doubts.
A problem for him : Illinois state gov, with massive tax increases Chicago could suffer, maybe it's not the best moment to be mayor of this city.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
I don't know many things about Rahm, I hope he will be a good mayor.But business-friendly ? I don't know, I have doubts.
A problem for him : Illinois state gov, with massive tax increases Chicago could suffer, maybe it's not the best moment to be mayor of this city.
It's a lot of hard work managing any large city, but when a city reaches a point, there's literally no where to go but up. With Chicago he has to fight off corruption and be proactive in what he does.

Daley, he did some great things, but for the most part was an idiot that the city kept on reelecting time and time again. I also admit not knowing enough about Emanuel, but trust me it doesn't get worse than Daley. Chicago will be better off without Daley one way or another, him and his father have both mayored Chicago for a combined 44 years. Nearly half a century of Daley.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
It's a lot of hard work managing any large city, but when a city reaches a point, there's literally no where to go but up. With Chicago he has to fight off corruption and be proactive in what he does.

Daley, he did some great things, but for the most part was an idiot that the city kept on reelecting time and time again. I also admit not knowing enough about Emanuel, but trust me it doesn't get worse than Daley. Chicago will be better off without Daley one way or another, him and his father have both mayored Chicago for a combined 44 years. Nearly half a century of Daley.
44 years
It's a dynasty lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.