Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The More Urban City (s)?
Jersey City/Hoboken 37 51.39%
San Francisco 37 51.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
How the hell can you even compare Jersey to San Fran?????????????
SF is a world class city. You better off comparing Jersey with Oakland.
And obviously SF is way more urban, SF is one of the most denses compact, cosmopolitan cities in the world, theres something to do in SF any time day or night. I doubt Jersey has much too offer. Just cause your packed like sardines in some ****ty apartment building dosnt mean your urban!!

Wow - Keep drinking the coolaide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 01:29 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
And obviously SF is way more urban, SF is one of the most denses compact, cosmopolitan cities in the world, theres something to do in SF any time day or night. I doubt Jersey has much too offer. Just cause your packed like sardines in some ****ty apartment building dosnt mean your urban!!
Actually, I believe that Hoboken, NJ has the most bars per square mile in the entire country. It really is a great, urban area. Why do people that have never left their homestate feel the need to make assumptions on areas?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Because this is City-Data, a monotonous site where people (like me) have an interest for comparing things and learning more about certain places. That's how I can compare them. And I just did.
Quote:
SF is a world class city.
Amazing fact! But how the hell does that help a city be more Urban than another city? (You know that's kind of the point of the thread)
Quote:
You better off comparing Jersey with Oakland
Oakland is at half the density of Jersey City, and it doesn't come a mile close to Hoboken. Honestly Oakland is more Urban than most can ever give it credit for, and I am sure around Downtown, and other heavily affluent areas its density can reach 30,000 to 40,000 people per square mile, possibly. But again Hoboken (1 square mile) with a population of 41,000 can easily counter it.
Quote:
And obviously SF is way more urban, SF is one of the most denses compact, cosmopolitan cities in the world, theres something to do in SF any time day or night.
Again that's amazing. But how does "something to do day and night" have anything to do with the topic of this thread? Unless of course you were trying to correlate density to vibrancy, but I've read your posts and I don't think you're swift enough to have come to that conclusion before anyone else whose posted here.

Well to be frank, Hoboken is 1 square miles, its nickname is even the Mile Squared City. Absolutely using your exact logic, it is more Urban as a city than San Francisco (as a city).

I made this thread for a discussion for the case can be brought for both areas. San Francisco's peak density will probably be larger than the peak densities in Jersey City & Hoboken. But I think a case can be made for Jersey City & Hoboken as well.

Honestly, this comparison is a lot closer than 95% of the type of comparisons on City-Data, because there are only a handful of cities that have a population of 250,000+ with densities over 10,000 people per square mile in the USA.

San Francisco quite possibly can be more Urban, that doesn't mean Jersey City & Hoboken cant make a case though.
Quote:
I doubt Jersey has much too offer. Just cause your packed like sardines in some ****ty apartment building dosnt mean your urban!!
Well, you're wrong.

Nearly 300,000 people would not make strives to live in a mere 16 square miles of land area if the place had absolutely zero appeal going for it. And quite frankly, it has a lot of great things going for it, but I don't expect you to ever understand that.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:00 PM

68 posts, read 179,538 times
Quote:
uh, I think that is very urban!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:

In your last horribly sentence, you're implying JC isn't urban just b/c you like SF more?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Perhaps SF to all of Hudson County is a better comparison. They're exactly the same size (47 sq miles), and Hudson's population density is 13,000 (total popn 608,000)

Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Goonzy strikes back!

Goonzy, you should come visit the East coast sometimes. And I mean it seriously. You'll probably like it a lot.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:28 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
No... There's probably sections of the city that exceed over 49Kppsm- But the average population density overall is around 17K PPSM
~

I'd say it's a tie. I voted for both.

San Francisco clearly has the more urban downtown (Jersey City's DT is pretty quiet.. Hoboken is livelier)- Though Jersey City/Hoboken has the more urban residential areas.
Public transportation in both excel, but NJ Transit is definitely the more extensive system. (Plus, PATH)

I was saying its a larger area 49 square miles to 16. As some have pointed out the county is a better comparison, so in overall density SF is more dense. If you break it into particular areas SF has areas that are much denser than 17k/sq mi.
SF just has much more, you'd have to reach into NYC to match amenities.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
I tend to agree that the comparisons between Jersey City\ Hoboken and San Francisco is a little bit off. I could see Jersey City across the Hudson river when I was in Manhattan and it looked pretty cool but I'm not sure I could see Hoboken. But Jersey City seems more like a suburb of NYC and not a stand alone metro. That may make New Jersey residents unhappy but seriously when a city the size of Jersey City stands in the shadow of the nation's largest city it becomes dwarfed & a bit insignificant.

Danny, I think you posted photos of Jersey City before that looked great; maybe someone will post some photos. Here are a few of San Francisco

Old 11-21-2010, 09:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Hoboken was where the beginning of Harold & Kumar took place, their apartment was in Hoboken.

Jersey City:

^^ There is thick dense development right before it gets to the taller buildings.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City