Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer most?
Oakland 40 43.01%
Omaha 35 37.63%
Orlando 27 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times

Advertisements

I don't expect this thread to get much traffic, especially given the fact that its no New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Washington DC, Atlanta comparison like all the others.

But anyways, these cities are staggeringly different but they all offer something to their region that no other city can.

Omaha:
- The healthiest economy in America
- The most Billionaires per capita in America
- One of the top cities for corporate relocations (where they move to)
- Sits above the largest fresh water aquifer in the world
- Rated as one of the most sprawl proof and compact cities for growth in America
- Cultural identity it can match and show forth, especially in growth stages
- Downtown and city in general have plenty of amenities offered by larger cities

Orlando:
- Top tourist spot in the USA
- Expanding Bio Medical Industry
- Located in Central Florida, with easy access to the remainder of the state
- One of the best known cities in America
- Various globally known Theme Parks
- Lush Green Trees & Lakes within proximity of the city

Oakland:
- The fastest growing Sea Port in California
- The principle city to the largest population division in the Bay Area (Oak MD is the most populated, followed by SJ's, and then SF's)
- The terminus for the longest transnational freight rail line in America
- The most ethnically diverse city in the United States
- Home to 3 professional sports teams, Athletics, Raiders, & Warriors (more than any other major Bay Area city and more than anyone else in CA besides Los Angeles)

If there's anything else I forgot, plus be sure to add it in.

Please state which one you prefer and why, and what you think of the city and the opportunities available in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
Omaha is so seriously underrated it's not even funny. Yes, obviously it's a small city, but it's a small COOL city. I think a big part of its problem is it just has a sort of goofy-sounding name that begs to be mocked (sort of like Walla Walla, Washington, which no one makes fun of anymore because it sits inside the border the of the state of WA, which is now exempt from mockery by your average pop-culture-obsessed, lower-middle-class, sheep-like US citizen [obviously, it's not only Americans who are this way, though]); plus, 99% of the people posting here have never been there.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
I voted for all 3. But if I HAD to choose one. I'd choose Oakland.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:24 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
This is an Corn to Oranges to Herbs comparison really, very different areas, known all for very different reasons, with great differences in size and amenities. Omaha really needs a sports team, busier airport, and larger metro population to be on Orlando or Oakland's level. In that same respect, Orlando needs to be part of a place like the San Francisco Bay Area to compete with Oakland. If were talking usual measures of City-Data greatness, then it's Oakland, Orlando, then Omaha. If it's my preference then it's Orlando, Omaha, then Oakland. I could easily understand how somebody would rank Omaha, Oakland, or Orlando top dog depending on decided criteria.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:33 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
I chose Oakland. It has a a beautiful landscape, and its proximity to SF is a big boost. It's also very diverse and full of interesting neighborhoods. Crime is an issue, but it seems very avoidable for the most part.

Orlando is cool, it would be better if it was on the coast. I'm not a fan of the infrastructure of the city, but the attractions (Disney/Universal, etc) makes it a great place to visit.

Omaha.. I know Gabrielle Union is proud to be from there- And she's HOT! I really know very little about this city TBH, but it looks to be laid back and welcoming. You can't really hate a place like Omaha.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Omaha. You just can't beat the Midwest.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Orlando!!!!

Oakland is not my type of place

Omaha is boring as heck

Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This is an Corn to Oranges to Herbs comparison really, very different areas, known all for very different reasons, with great differences in size and amenities. Omaha really needs a sports team, busier airport, and larger metro population to be on Orlando or Oakland's level. In that same respect, Orlando needs to be part of a place like the San Francisco Bay Area to compete with Oakland. If were talking usual measures of City-Data greatness, then it's Oakland, Orlando, then Omaha. If it's my preference then it's Orlando, Omaha, then Oakland. I could easily understand how somebody would rank Omaha, Oakland, or Orlando top dog depending on decided criteria.
Haha dude you misunderstood me and my thread. I picked three cities that start with "O" and made a thread about them.

Luckily all of them are drastically different and offer something else. So I didn't make this to be a stats war on who is larger and who is more richer and whatnot. I just asked a simple question.

The question being "Which one do you prefer living in?" Because there are attributes to living in any of the following cities.

As for myself:
1. Omaha/Orlando
2. Omaha/Orlando
3. Oakland

Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,118 times
hahaha Oakland is in the lead

Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
Oakland: What wasnt included ^

Largest Urban Salt-Water Lake in the country
Over 1/3 of residents have at least a Bachelors degree - Higher than national average
One of America's top greenest cities
Best weather in the country
Has more parks and green space than any other Bay Area city
Has more artist per capita than any other U.S. city
City is 2/3 flatland, 1/3 hills
World class museum- only museum of its kind
And many more!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City