Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has better downtown shopping?
Philly 36 49.32%
Seattle 35 47.95%
other 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM

457 posts, read 1,109,138 times

Advertisements

Seems pretty clear that the top 4 DT (or city core) shopping districts are:
1) NYC
2) Chi
3) SF
4) Boston

but number 5 seems open to debate?

Center City vs. Seattle? Seattle is probably a little high end, but Philly probably has a wider selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
I think Philly has better Downtown shopping than Boston actually....

Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
I really liked the shopping in Philly. I haven't been to Seattle in 9 years so things may have changed. I really there were a couple department stores but no true shopping district with lots of name brand stores. Whereas Philly has a couple malls in addition to department stores, along with the shopping on South Street. So I say Philly beats Seattle by a mile.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I really liked the shopping in Philly. I haven't been to Seattle in 9 years so things may have changed. I really there were a couple department stores but no true shopping district with lots of name brand stores. Whereas Philly has a couple malls in addition to department stores, along with the shopping on South Street. So I say Philly beats Seattle by a mile.
Westlake in Seattle a downtown shopping distric has a mall a couple of plazas has been there since the mid eighties. but there is many other shopping districs now .The department stores are Macys,Nordstrom,Barneys downtown. The Nordstrom is the flagship Nordstrom and the largest in the chain. There is the Flagship R.E.I downtown also over 200,000 sqare ft . The pike st Neighborhood see's 9 million shoppers a year with several hundred small shops and the Pike Place Market. The pine st coridoor has several large chains of stores lots of high end international retailers some of the only in usa like All Saints Spitfield from UK. The old Newmark Mall Downtown Is being rebuilt as another Multi story urban Target Store. Nordstroms Rack is building a new flagship store downtown the largest in the chain. Bed Bath and Beyond and Ross have multi story department stores downtown. Seattle also has other mid size retailers also . Downtown Seattle also has a entertainment dist. with two large multiplex theaters a Sega Gameworks ,and Night clubs .And if you would like to stay they have 13,000 hotel rooms all downtown.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:06 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,519 times
Seattle is an inferior city to Philly in every way imaginable. Minus scenery.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
And certain areas of employment, general educational attainment of the populace, certain politics if it suits you, better local music scene in certain ways, overall cleanliness of the city, generally more polite people and having more East Asian-y stuff in general. Also, it doesn't really have any neighborhoods that I felt had really gone to seed. The buses were a lot better, and mass transit better run in general, in Seattle than Philly--but Philly's rail line is so much more expensive. It's alright though, because I'm pretty good with buses.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
And certain areas of employment, general educational attainment of the populace, certain politics if it suits you, better local music scene in certain ways, overall cleanliness of the city, generally more polite people and having more East Asian-y stuff in general. Also, it doesn't really have any neighborhoods that I felt had really gone to seed. The buses were a lot better, and mass transit better run in general, in Seattle than Philly--but Philly's rail line is so much more expensive. It's alright though, because I'm pretty good with buses.
Well I'm originally from the West Coast and scenery isn't something that I really care for in a city. I like cities in the urban Bos-Wash belt because IMO they are very urban and vibrant cities and only a days drive away from basically anything one can ask for in a getaway.

Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't question anyone saying they may prefer Seattle over Philly but from downtown to downtown, no question about it. Philly has a better downtown, and IMO better shopping area even though it isn't as much as Boston or SF.

If I go to a downtown to shop, I just don't want the shops but the environment of a big and vibrant city, and IMO Philly is a better choice than Seattle if that is what one seeks.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
I would say in history Philidelphia trumps Seattle but really to say its tops in everything without any facts your blowing hot air.Without debate theres many thing Seattle also Beats Philadelphia. Like High tech Microsoft ,Amazon.com,Nintendo .Coffee culture ,music scene But there is several areas phily beat Seattle also .

Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 PM

I would still have to say I think Seattle has a stronger retail presence it has more national and international retailers.It has more retail space and is the main city for the Pacific Northwest anchoring four sates and one province.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Center City Philadelphia has the 3rd most educated population in the US among downtown residents (% with college degree, Actually Center City Philly is #1 in the US among the percentage with advanced degrees)

1 Midtown Manhattan 71.5%
2 Chicago 67.6%
3 Philadelphia 66.7%
4 Boston 63.6%
5 Denver 48.5%

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...1115_Birch.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City